• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

I agree with the comparisons to the Orc above, though I will state that the Orc has a wider rim and more distance potential.

Compared to an OLF, the PD is a bit faster, starts more overstable, and breaks in to fly straighter. I get a little better distance with the PD than I have from the OLFs I've thrown.

Personally I think the pd feels better in my hand compared to an olf. I gave the olf a shot for a while but didn't like it enough over the pd. A lot of people compare the olf more to an eagle-x, it develops some high speed turn and has a bit more fade, where a pd is more similar to a teebird...straight with some fade.

I always preferred the teebird to eagle, so maybe that's why I prefer the pd over the olf.

What types/colors/runs are you other PD throwers using?
Here's what I'm carrying:
175g marked (really 173.5) fire orange Freak stamp SPD. This disc is fairly flat and seasoned, but even when new it was a fairly straight...As much like a PPD as an SPD in flight. It holds any line I put on it when powered down and is a great turnover/anny disc when powered. It usually will fight out just enough at the end of the flight to land flat. This is one of my most used PDs. It is so easy to throw straight that I even use it at midrange distances when it's windy or raining.

175g marked (really 174...notice a pattern?) yellow Freak stamped SPD. This one is made of mostly opaque champion and is very stiff with a moderate dome. I call these yellow champystars because of the plastic. These discs are like faster star TBs and have better HSS and less LSS than a lot of other PDs. The one in my bag is seasoned so that it is TB-like if powered down and more like a more predictable TL when powered...Though these don't power down as far or well as normal SPDs, even when seasoned.

175g marked (really 173.5...) merlot stock CPD+. Powered down and thrown flat this disc flies dead straight and then fades late but hard w/skip very consistently. If thrown hard and flat it gets a little high speed turn and fades ending pretty straight. This disc flies a little more like an EX than other TBs, which is why I love it. It is also fast and has great glide for a PD of it's stability. I use this for a lot of long hyzers because I like the way it pushes then fades.

174g(accurate) stock orange CPD(non-plust). This the new addition...It's more HSS when powered and most LSS when thrown with less arm than any of my other PDs. It is very dependable in the wind and it is my overstable bookend. I'm looking forward to testing it extensively, but I'm already sure it's a keeper. These are EXACTLY what a CPD should be imo...As I said above, it's like a new 11x TB that is a little faster with a little harder fade.

169 orange CFR DGR (1st round of them) C-Line. This is my overstable utility PD. It has been the most overstable driver in my bag. This one doesn't get thrown much (high winds only), and it's still as stable as the day I put it in the bag. I recently added a pink Z Predator to see if it offered anything the CFR didn't (it's more overstable but unnecessarily so).

172 yellow Champystar 1st Run S-Line. I throw First Runs because that's what I was sent when I was stocking up, and I have too many in my stash to stop now. This one is finally starting to lose some of its initial stability and is getting to the sweet spot. I throw this more than any other driver in my bag.

171 yellow firm Freak stamp P-Line. This is really only used in turnover situations, which admittedly doesn't come up very often. In spite of that, there are a ton of nicks in and around the rim.

With one of the new C-PDs (now that my S-Line is straightening out), I think I could carry these four PDs and cover every distance shot I would potentially encounter at my distance.

172 red champystar, seasoned, straight, long s shots
170 chartreuse s line, main driver
175 chartreuse p line beat, turnovers, long flex shots
175 c line +, thumbers
175 blue marbly s line, breaking this one in, has a pred like flight currently, beefy

I carry 3 right now: a merlot 175 CPD+ and 2 blue 170 PPDs. I'm throwing them on a lot of 330-400' holes. The PPDs bomb and the CPD+ is nice for working lines with more fade. While the PD has stolen a lot of work from them, I'm still carrying a couple seasoned champ Teebirds for working really tight lines through wooded hallways.

Still looking forward to trying out some SPDs and a non plus mold CPD.

Most of the first production stamped CPDs we accidentally run with the PLUS core and have more slanted rims. The latest run CPDs have this corrected and have standard cores.
Correction: All of them were run with a +mold core. The ones that have the stock stamp but aren't +molds are old CFRs stock.

My C-PD doesn't seem all that stable, often it will fade left instead of right, I throw
forehand. Anyone else experience this? I haven't thrown it much, so I'm still undecided on its use.

My C-PD doesn't seem all that stable, often it will fade left instead of right, I throw
forehand. Anyone else experience this? I haven't thrown it much, so I'm still undecided on its use.

It's possible you got a dud. I haven't heard of any yet. It's also possible that you've got a bunch of off axis torque in your forehand. It's a very common issue. Need to know a little more about what you normally throw and how they behave to say for sure.

PPD freak stamp - 172 - thrown with hyzer on full rip it will pop up and go straight with a late fade. When powered down I can throw it almost flat and it travels very straight with fade at end.

SPD DGR stamp 172 - seasoned, go to. throws like a longer teebird, but with more wind fighting ability. very hard for me to flip it even in wind.

CPD DGR stamp 175 - meathook. replaced my pred. Forhand duties with my SPD.

It's possible you got a dud. I haven't heard of any yet. It's also possible that you've got a bunch of off axis torque in your forehand. It's a very common issue. Need to know a little more about what you normally throw and how they behave to say for sure.

I do tend to throw with some off axis torque. But that happens only after
I haven't played in a while. But I get back into good habits, like I have recently

But the pd pretty reliably fades left. I typically throw a Boss, Destroyer, Predator and Firebird. I also throw a teerex and that turns left like crazy, but will always fade and finish right.

I typically throw a Boss, Destroyer, Predator and Firebird. I also throw a teerex and that turns left like crazy, but will always fade and finish right.

Well all those discs are faster, more OAT resistant, and will fade more than PDs at low speeds, thus fighting out of some of those OAT induced anhyzers. Sounds like you'll need to clean up your technique a bit if you want to throw PDs.

Correction: All of them were run with a +mold core. The ones that have the stock stamp but aren't +molds are old CFRs stock.

That was why I said most of the first stock stamps were accidental PLUS molds...because there are CFRs mixed in with them with standard cores.
We've got new stock stamp CPDs that are neither CFR nor PLUS mold.

Last edited:
Man, every time I read about the PD I am tempted to buy one. I guess I just don't end up buying them because I don't want any competition for my OLFs.

Man, every time I read about the PD I am tempted to buy one. I guess I just don't end up buying them because I don't want any competition for my OLFs.

It seems like people either like OLFs or PDs. I used to only throw 1.1's, then switched over to PDs. Now both are gone and if I had to go back, I'd choose the PD since 1.1s are tough to find and PDs can cover many different stabilities depending on plh and plastic.

It seems like people either like OLFs or PDs. I used to only throw 1.1's, then switched over to PDs. Now both are gone and if I had to go back, I'd choose the PD since 1.1s are tough to find and PDs can cover many different stabilities depending on plh and plastic.

This is exactly how I feel. I too liked the 1.1s, but I honestly don't like the current configuration. My first red SOLF flew a lot more like a PD than it did like the current OLFs.

If the PD didn't exist I'd throw the OLF, though I've had some bad experiences with them in the past (QOLF's that fly really understable).

I decided to go get it before someone else did. It was actually a new unthrown first run S-PD, yellow with a green stamp, marked 172, scaled weight comes out to 171.5. The Play It Again here tried a small selection of Discmania and it didn't sell fast enough. So this disc was marked down 25 percent. I considered the C-TD they had, maybe another time. I will try out this PD out tomorrow while the weather is warm.

I bought my girl a 150 SPD from Clearwater around may of last year, she liked the freak stamp, but when we got it it didnt have the freak stamp. So in the box it went, until about 3 months ago she decided to give it a try. Now it is one of her main drivers she loves it. I heard so much about them had to try one out. I purchased a 173 CPD from a tournament a couple months ago. It is just to overstable for me, and doesn't seem to have alot of glide, when field testing it with other drivers. I will be definitly be trying out PPD or a SPD in the future though.