• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

For what it's worth; the PD has a firebird wing, if you measure it it's 1.9 cm, although they call it a speed 10. So it's only 2 mm thicker than a Teebird and 1 mm thicker than a rival.

For what it's worth; the PD has a firebird wing, if you measure it it's 1.9 cm, although they call it a speed 10. So it's only 2 mm thicker than a Teebird and 1 mm thicker than a rival.

Interesting, so I guess you are saying its not a true speed 10 like an orc or whatever? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Interesting, so I guess you are saying its not a true speed 10 like an orc or whatever? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In terms of rim width, it is not a true speed 10. However, PD's fly just as far, if not farther than Orcs.

What is "true" speed? It's more a marketing concept than anything else. Rim thickness often corresponds to speed rating, but not always. Innova's marketing has designated "speed 7" as fairway speed and "speed 9" and above, for the most part, distance driver speed, with "big boy" discs starting at 10, but really it's just made up. Ever notice how speed 8 is almost empty on the flight charts? Does that mean that there are few 1.8 cm discs - no, not at all. Roadrunner and Sidewinder are 1.8, but listed as 9. TL, FD and FD2 are 1.8, but listed as 7. Purists would probably tell you that the difference is how fast they move through the air, despite the rim thickness; or how far the disc will go; or how controllable the disc is relative to its distance potential; or whatever; in the end, I think it's more conceptual and marketing than anything else.

Here's the important thing to understand, IMO, all that matters is how the disc performs for you, how you use it, and how it performs relative to the other discs you've chosen to bag. I think people make a mistake by focusing on where discs overlap instead of where they don't; that is, it's far less important what discs have in common than what they don't. If two discs overlap on 99 shots out of a 100, is it worth it to carry both? That depends on how important that 1 other shot is to your game. If it's important, either because you use that shot a lot, or when you need that shot no other disc can do what it does, or even that you're not confident with that shot with any other disc, then it probably merits a slot in the bag.

Should you carry both a PD and TB? There is a lot of overlap, but they do have their differences. Do you have the skill set or power to take advantage of the differences? I don't know, but if not, then it's probably not worth it because the outcome of any particular shot with one would likely be outside the margin of your technical ability to have a reliably and predictably different result with the other. If you do have the appropriate skill set to utilize their differences, then maybe you should bag both.

However, with that said, I think there is a value in learning to do more with fewer discs. In theory, your shot selection is more limited than it otherwise would be, but I think you acquire greater precision through familiarity with your limited selection, and greater skill by figuring how to make your discs work for you, and in the end, skill wins championships, not discs.

Frankly, I think 99% of us would probably be better at this game if we picked 6 discs and just stuck with them, almost regardless of which ones any particular person picked--and I don't mean 6 molds, I mean 6 discs. Last year I played a tourney on a challenging and technical course--one guy dominated the field, and all he had was four discs (if recall correctly, it was two aviars (one dx, one champ), a roc, and a teebird).

My $.02.

In terms of rim width, it is not a true speed 10. However, PD's fly just as far, if not farther than Orcs.

yarp.

PDs are tits.

Feels like a speed 9 in the hand (even better when you have fire chickens in your bag because you can't feel the difference.)

Flys just as far if not further than any speed 10 on the market, with better control....

Plan on shaving strokes with it in the bag

yarp.

If only the Discmania store would sell pre-beat sweet spot S-PDs, I might pay 1-2 dollars more than a fresh one just to save time ;) They could have a cement mixer going in the back yard :p

This would be great. I traded for a couple 7/10 spds a couple years ago and the are perfect. I can't find anyone willing to trade for one in that condition. If they show up they are gone quick.

Try a G line, from everything I've heard they are pretty close to that beat in PD flight without the time investment. Or hunt down shield stamp PD's, but leave my lightweight ones alone :D

threw my 1.5 year old SPD that was perfectly seasoned in to the water at Jordan Creek on my road trip, got it out then left it just sitting there after i put my shoes back on... so sad right now.

Hi all PD freaks out there. Im looking for the most overstable PD out there.
I have a S-PD with Jesse Heinonen signature on it and that this is pretty overstable. As time goes by this one is hard to get and I was wondering what could might replace it. The newest one I bought is a blue, swirly, soft S-PD. This thing goes straight and have a healthy fade in the end. Really a thing of beauty but I need one that is more overstable from the start.
I do have two first run CFR C-PD's one from European Open and the other is "Big D in the Desert" but Im just to scared to throw those discs so Im looking for PD's that would have similar stability but easier to find.

I do have two first run CFR C-PD's one from European Open and the other is "Big D in the Desert" but Im just to scared to throw those discs so Im looking for PD's that would have similar stability but easier to find.

Check out the newer Jolly Launcher C-PDs, I hear they're the closest to CFRs. Discmania's site store has some in stock.

I have a G-PD, it is very nice but does not equal a nicely beat S-PD.

Oh, and I totally get that "too scared to throw thing". My current PD lineup is EO2009 P-PD, FR SPD (the yellow one, beat to sweetness), golden European Masters G-PD , and a JH SPD. The latter is the only one of those that is easily replaceable, and that I can confidently throw on a water hole for example, luckily those holes dont come up too often. Other semi-high risk holes (schule, elevation etc.) I have decided not to be afraid anymore, since these discs deliver so nicely.

PDs want to fly, not cower in the closet! :D

Check out the newer Jolly Launcher C-PDs, I hear they're the closest to CFRs. Discmania's site store has some in stock.

I live in Europe so its kinda expensive to order from US. How do I see/feel the difference on the JL comared to any other C-PD?

Wait... are those JL PD's the Avery Jenkins PD's?

Last edited:
I rarely lose discs. However, as an exception to that rule, I did chunk a SPD into the middle of a swampy lake the other weekend. Poor shot selection, a very "long shot" that had probably 1/10 chances of succeeding. Luckily it was one of the white JH SPDs that had two nearly identical brothers waiting at home. Took my medicine and did not even wade out into that muck to search for it. Rest in peace little JH PD.

Latest posts