• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pre-throw stiffarming.

jrawk

* Ace Member *
tell me why some players hold their arm stiff and straight out pointing down the fairway before throwing... like they're aiming and lining up their release. Typically, the people i see do it, hold their disc eye level, which is nowhere near where they are intending on releasing.

I've always wondered why and if it really does any good. My knee jerk reaction is no, since A) the hand is not typically in the same position at the hit point, and B) neither is the player's body.

this is what i'm refering to: (not to pick on holly, but this is the first one i noticed)

attachment.php

Attachments

• holly.png
    holly.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 455
It is an aiming mechanism. It's easy to spot strong armers doing this when they stand square to the target.

Holly isn't just lining up her shot, she actually turns and tilts it the way she expects it to fly. I think it's just her way of seeing the line before the shot.

Holly isn't just lining up her shot, she actually turns and tilts it the way she expects it to fly. I think it's just her way of seeing the line before the shot.

Yes, this is a good way for some to visualize the fight of the disc if released at a certain angle. I do it as well, and it mentally clears my head prior to a drive. Executing it as visually planned is always the challenge!

Yup. It's a visualization thing for me. I hold the disc there, but that's not where I see it, I visualize it flying down the intended line.

I've done this, thought I'm not sure why. I guess it just seemed like a comfortable place from which to begin the backswing and x-step. I hold the disc closer to waist high though. Recently, I've been advised to a) start with the disc closer in to my body and b) to start the runup with my shoulders already turned and the disc already behind me. Needless to say, I'm fairly confused at this point. I need to find a snow-free expanse so I can do some field work.

I do this mostly to get the nose angle and (an)hyzer set up. For whatever reason, my hand "remembers" the setup when I throw (most of the time, errr, sometimes).

I've noticed that too, and wondered why people stand there for fourteen seconds with their hand out like they are mentally dialing things in and envisioning the perfect line to hit.

Honestly, it makes me laugh, because MOST of the guys I know (not all) who do this, tend to shank their drives anyway. I'm sitting there thinking, wouldn't it be more helpful to go through the motion of your throw, to get your x-step dialed in a bit, practice weight transfer or something, rather than pointing and then rapidly shanking.

I can understand the visualizing the shot thing though, and how it might help you relax. I'm not trying to bash all the people who do this, and I point sometimes for a second. But seriously, the people who hold their arm up for more than ten seconds, I think they are doing it for show.

By the way, did you just come up with this name "pre-throw stiffarming"?

Because if you did, that is hilarious.

I don't hold it up high...but I do take a few seconds visualizing and finding my focal point, as well as going through my checklist.

I'm sitting there thinking, wouldn't it be more helpful to go through the motion of your throw, to get your x-step dialed in a bit, practice weight transfer or something, rather than pointing and then rapidly shanking.

pretty much my own thoughts as well.

By the way, did you just come up with this name "pre-throw stiffarming"?

Heh, yeah i wasn't trying to be funny with it, just brief and descriptive.

Heh, yeah i wasn't trying to be funny with it, just brief and descriptive.

Well, it is funny. I typed my brief two cents on it and went back to the forum and saw the title and just laughed out loud. Pre-throw stiff-arming? Could you imagine watching a video with commentary and they say,

"Well, so and so steps up to the tee and does his ritualistic pre-throw stiffarm, look, you see there, if you pay attention, you can really see the determination and mental awareness building up within his being. That is phenomenal folks, do not try this at home, these are paid professionals."

I really don't know why it makes me laugh....but it does. Now when my buddies do it, or I see someone doing at a tournament, I'm gonna think, oh brother, is he really prethrow stiffarming again.

I do it also. It is the only way I can seem to get the nose angle right. Like CrowLegs said I can focus on my hand/wrist position before the throw and hopefully keep it through the throwing motion. I noticed that if I hold my hand up in a normal relaxed position the nose angle is always up. By holding the disc in front of my line of sight I am able to adjust my grip or wrist angle to flatten out the flight plate. It has seemed to work for me. It is also helpful for me when setting up an anhyzer.

I don't do it for very long, but I like to get the nose and disc angle in my head, it's not about aiming.

I do this mostly to get the nose angle and (an)hyzer set up. For whatever reason, my hand "remembers" the setup when I throw (most of the time, errr, sometimes).

Yep. I trace the release angle (move my shoulder along the plane a bit) and get the nose angle as best as I can. When I do this I'm much more accurate on my throw, and if not I'm immediately aware that I done f'd up. "That didn't feel right..."

I get the release angle, nose angle, and standing on the edge of the pad I get my LINE. I then back up along the line. Then I know if I need to move down the pad or across the pad on an angle.

Agreed, it is for the visualization of the disc in flight. I do it more as a concentration routine than anything else.

i'll never understand holding the disc directly in front of me. it breaks my concentration, if anything. i want my shoulder loose, not tense and not focusing on a specific point in the air. the closest i get is on my straddle putt when i swing my my arm up to get a feel for how much power i need.

i do sometimes take a practice swing. sometimes i'll stand to the side in a stance that naturally occurs during my shot and then hold it up. on a practice swing it's not one of the super slow ones; just a relaxed practice swing so i can feel my body and disc line up where they need to be. usually i just step up and throw.

I do it too, maybe not for ten seconds though. I do it to visualize the flight, if I can see it, I have a better chance of throwing it, same as the pre putt routine. I never think about my footwork, never have, but I can place my toe on a dime with a five step run up. I also take a slow practice swing while playing ball golf and "watch the ball fly". If you can see it, you can throw it (80% of the time anyway):thmbup:
I would also like to vote for the official title
"PRE THROW STIFF ARMING"

Last edited:
I see lots of players do this as well and have others have said its really just part of a routine, which is one of the main things disc golfers are encouraged to do to improve consistency, no? We all have our weird little quirks in every little aspect of the game whether it be the way we line up a drive or putt, place a mini, keep our bag organized, etc. Watch yourself play a round and i bet you will get the proof!

Latest posts