• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Pro Wraith...other options?

MIKEB618

I throw pro wraiths as my primary long distance driver.

Well, yesterday i lost my go to pink wraith so am am needing to order a couple new ones to replace pinky. Losing it was kinda bittersweet...it was beat and starting to get really flippy/unpredictable but it was easily the longest disc in my bag.

My question is, are there any other discs i need to take a look at or should i just order me some new pro wraiths? I like the wraiths, just wondering if there is anything else that does the same thing only better?

Opinions?

yup archons or an astra are like a good pro wraith out of the box and they'll stay at that spot longer, beating in a star wraith is another option.

or just get another pro wraith.

X Nukes are faster, but they're a similar kind of disc. Great glide, grip, and distance potential, but highly susceptible to damage. Might get you a little more distance on wide open shots, not a workhorse type driver though.

X Nukes are faster, but they're a similar kind of disc. Great glide, grip, and distance potential, but highly susceptible to damage. Might get you a little more distance on wide open shots, not a workhorse type driver though.

Way different feel tho. Nuke's wings are much bigger, as I'm sure you're aware.

I vote stay on the wraith train, fwiw. I bought a kenny wraith last summer that was my favorite distance driver for the first couple of months. Then, once my love for wraiths was established, I ordered 3 i-dye pro wraiths off the factory store. I dig the pro plastic and these sweet, unique dyes. Also, having a couple to rotate keeps one in good condition and having two to beat extends the lifespan of both. We'll see if I keep throwing them thru the spring, if I keep playing pretty frequently this winter then I doubt it! Finally, they are F2s, so if having that stamp bugs you then maybe this isn't for you. The stamp doesn't bother me though, and paying $2 less for an F2 i-dye than for a standard production pro wraith ($11 at DD) definitely doesn't bother me! :D

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/factory-second-idye-pro-wraith.html

Alternatively, if you are feeling saucy and want to try something new, you could try an Orc or a Destroyer for similar flight paths (although the Orc technically is a bit shorter). OR, if you wanna get really crazy (which I like to do) Go with a DC FLX -or- an ESP Surge. Very similar to a wraith in all ways IMO (see inbounds chart linked below), and another of my favorite distance drivers.

Have fun shopping! :hfive:

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&type=&id1=2594490&id2=2079719&id3=8842756&id4=8613388&n=1139

A surge ss might do the trick, as well as an avenger ss. I haven't thrown a flow, but they sound pretty sweet.

I was looking for an alternative to the wraith a while back too. I found the avenger ss to be way more understable and unpredictable.The flow however is awesome, its flight is buttery smooth like a River but with more fade. The flow's rim is similar in width to the wraith but its not as rigid in flight....but what do I know..haha

Id just stick with the Wraith man. I started throwing them cause I found a pre-kenny star a while back with no ink.. that is now my go to super stable driver. When released flat its really straight with pretty much no fade at all. I also have a champ Wraith thats a little less stable than my champ Destroyer, but more overstable than that star pre-kenny. Then for my really understable I have a really beat to hell pro Wraith that I use for hyzer flips or huge low anny shots. Wraith is a great disc, that IMO is underrated and over shadowed by Destroyers.

Have you considered a Blizzard Wraith? If you get one that isn't squirrely, it has a lot of distance potential.

Just ordered a few new pro wraiths and a sparkly astra to try. I wasnt really looking to replace my wraiths...just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything i was missing.

Thanks everyone!

Vibram Lace replaced my Blizzard Wraith.

I really like the Pro Wraith vs. other Wraiths. It is in general a staple in my bag.

However, on heavy tree-technical courses/holes I will often carry instead either a Star or Champion Wraith or a FLX Surge. I do this in part to keep my pro plastic wraiths from getting too beat up too fast. Also, I really like FLX plastic on tree holes and usually carry a FLX Surge SS, FLX Buzzz, and lately a FLX Avenger SS.

Otherwise, I like to keep a newer and an old Wraith.

Having said all of that I think the discs that I find the closet to a beat in Wraith is the Krait. I just got the Krait a couple weeks ago and I have not had the chance to throw it very much. There is a thread about the Krait discussing how similar it tends to be to a Wraith. When I do not carry my older pro wraith, I usually try to have the FLX Surge SS in the bag.

I hope this helps.