• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prodigy Disc Thread v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol....ok.....if thats truly the case then it makes total since why Lightning failed as a company.

Names on the PDGA Approval Doc
Prodigy D1
Prodigy D2
Prodigy D3
Prodigy D4
Lightning Discs #2 Driver
Lightning Discs #3 Driver
Lightning Discs #4 Driver
Lightning Discs The Driver

hmmmmmm.....idk but seems like this wouldn't even go to court. I own Lighting's D-1 D-2 D-3 and D-4.....and they have the "-" in there. Plus I highly doubt the PDGA would allow a disc to be approved with the same name.
Lightning never submitted the prostyle names to the PDGA for approval. Technically, a Lightning D-1 might be illegal BUT they also had "#1 Driver" on the stamp someplace so it was a gray area. Nobody ever made a big stink out of it so the PDGA never had to rule on it.

Also who wants to start speculation on pricing for prodigy discs?

you don't even know what their plastics are yet. so how can you speculate?

Lightning never submitted the prostyle names to the PDGA for approval. Technically, a Lightning D-1 might be illegal BUT they also had "#1 Driver" on the stamp someplace so it was a gray area. Nobody ever made a big stink out of it so the PDGA never had to rule on it.
tis true

maybe liz lopez or even val jenkins, but not paige pierce... nah, I wouldnt pay to watch any dg videos unless some dvd ended up on the rack in my local video rental store.

thats the whole point of speculation is taking wild stabs in the dark, and hoping you are right. I say they are going to be like lat and have vendors charging 18 bucks a pop.

If nothing else, you gotta give them credit from a business standpoint - if they're watching ths forum, they gotta be grinning from ear to ear. Just look at all the buzz being created for their product. If they had a store front, there'd be people camped out waiting for these things.

I bet I'll be able to grip lock them much better than the discs I already have. :D

Last edited:
If nothing else, you gotta give them credit from a business standpoint - if they're watching ths forum, they gotta be grinning from ear to ear. Just look at all the buzz being created for their product. If they had a store front, there'd be people camped out waiting for these things.

No there wouldn't, because that would entail us getting off our computers and camping out. :)

thats the whole point of speculation is taking wild stabs in the dark, and hoping you are right. I say they are going to be like lat and have vendors charging 18 bucks a pop.

Time to spread this like wildfire. I just look at all the overhead prodigy has to cover. In manufacturing we see quality control suffer to lower variable costs. So with high fixed costs and high variable costs will we see discs prices approaching the $24.99 mark? If the plastic is as good as testers are saying it is would it be worth buying a $25 disc instead of a couple $16 discs. Vibram seems to have a strategy such as this.

I'd speculate someplace between $25.00 and $20.00. I'd also speculate that at $25.00 I'd develop a deep appreciation for Champ and Z plastic. :|

No there wouldn't, because that would entail us getting off our computers and camping out. :)
People who camped out for their iphone would be posting on that while camping out for new plastic.

I'd speculate someplace between $25.00 and $20.00. I'd also speculate that at $25.00 I'd develop a deep appreciation for Champ and Z plastic. :|
Even at that price, I bet it doesn't hit trees any more accurately than DX or Pro-D.

Last edited:
Took a break from the thread but now I've got a couple things to reply to.

he just said it doesn't roll for him. at least that is what I took from it. and that it's a good anhyzer and hyzer flip disc. correct me if I'm wrong.

Not accidental rollers... He was asking if he tried to do any rollers on purpose with them, being understable and all.

Yep. UPS has it right. I was asking about what happens if he intentionally tried to throw a roller.

I'll have to search, but maybe we could start a thread in the equipment forum about molding technology and plastic materials. There is some work involved, but getting a disc concept drawn up is fairly simple. There are many useful resources out there to choose the proper material as well. Use some cavity pressure sensors coupled with an RJG E-dart system and you will have the most consistent molded discs on the market. If only I was brave enough to take out a loan...

I've got a few questions regarding that. I've always been kind of interested in the technology side of the disc making business. What is the cost difference on that as compared to what is currently the standard procedure for molding? Is it possible for Innova/Discraft/Any company to upgrade current machinery to do this? If so, what would be the cost per machine? And would this process make the molding process longer or about the same?

$20-25 per disc is not the way to go if you want everyone to buy your discs. that's $10 more than every other disc. besides limited edition stuff.

I suspect they'll retail from $16-$19.

you don't even know what their plastics are yet. so how can you speculate?

It's not going to matter what they're made of. They need to move inventory to stay afloat. They can't afford to price themselves out of competition.

Time to spread this like wildfire. I just look at all the overhead prodigy has to cover. In manufacturing we see quality control suffer to lower variable costs. So with high fixed costs and high variable costs will we see discs prices approaching the $24.99 mark? If the plastic is as good as testers are saying it is would it be worth buying a $25 disc instead of a couple $16 discs. Vibram seems to have a strategy such as this.

Vibram is passionate about the sport. I don't think they are overly concerned with profits as far as the business as a whole is concerned.

Prodigy is going to have a very limited initial release...they will be $20+....the seemingly going rate for First Runs. I would imagine they would want to be more competitive than Lat64 has been and try to match Innova/Discraft pricing from the get go. Its about getting your discs in those gas stations....cool name + sweet looking plastic = chucker buying disc. just got to fix the name and they will be all set.

glide is an awesome midrange disc. but once you buy 2 ti discs you realize the plastic sucks so bad that it was just a gimmic.

^^^The first runs may be priced higher, but they can't stay over 20 bucks. No way they'll survive.

glide is an awesome midrange disc. but once you buy 2 ti discs you realize the plastic sucks so bad that it was just a gimmic.

Sorry, I edited my post. Now this post makes no sense. :\

I basically was saying that Ti only sold at a high price because of the molds used, and nobody would have purchased a Ti Glide. I don't think Prodigy will make the same mistake of overpricing.

But, I've been wrong before...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts