• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Players' NON-Prodigy Discs In Their Bags

Give me a disc and 5 minutes... you will get it back flying beat no problem so I hope that's not their issue lol. shouldnt take THAT long to learn and fit a disc into your bag.

edit: if its a solid product.

This attitude was actually point of my previous post. If you are a professional playing in the upper echelons of any sport and I tell you you're going to have to switch out your equipment piece by piece with brand new equipment as its being tested/released over the course of a year and a half, but I still expect you to win tournaments against the best players out there, what do you think I would say? Heck no! No matter how good the new equipment is, it takes time for someone at that level of play to work it into their game. Especially in a game like disc golf, where how your discs mesh with your throwing is basically the entire game.

Maybe someone like Will Schustrick is able to do it more quickly because he basically had a bunch of the discs molded to his own specifications so they fly just like he wants them to, but other players lower on the Prodigy roster don't have that luxury. Prodigy released 17 new discs this year, basically almost their entire lineup in a 12 month period. You can't just say a certain beat Destroyer in my bag is replaceable with a D1/D2/D3/D4. Every disc flies a little differently and it will take a while for me to beat in new discs and figure out where they fit for every shot I'm going to throw.

And of course the entire argument is silly and pointless because I still don't see what the great fascination is with whether every Prodigy sponsored player throws all Prodigy or not. I'm pretty sure all of them throw some Prodigy and most likely all of them are working in other Prodigy discs over time. Their timeline on when/if they get to an all-Prodigy bag is between them and their contract with the company. Why does it matter?

Oh and for those comparing this to other sports, I know of very few sports where a player/team is only sponsored by one company for all their equipment (ball golf included). If disc golf is really going to grow up, it needs players to be sponsored by multiple disc companies and probably multiple non-disc companies as well in order to make a decent living and attract more talent to the game. Someday, they'll probably all be throwing mixed bags; at least I hope so!

rookie punter hit mad punts with new balls every time. veterans' bitched when rules changed to fresh equipment but hasn't hindered any of the outcomes as far as player expectations or records for that matter are concerned.

BS'

When a super-athlete plays DG we can talk but until then "the arrow" is just an excuse for lack of commitment and I don't blame the archers for a minute b/c where are the incentives?... think what you want but these guys play more damn DG than any of us I hope they can break a disc in and learn it.. THAT IS THEIR JOB'

oh and gimme your garbage can lid, let me learn its flight for a minute and im coming for your head putting lights out.

On what legal grounds? If you own a disc, I would think that you are free to write whatever you want on it.

It would be the same as Nike taking Titleist clubs for Tiger and stamping Nike logos on them. Ford taking a Corvette racing car and taking off the Chevy badges and placing Ford on them.

They are not writing things on them. They are taking the stamp off and stamping them as Prodigy discs. They were made by Innova and not Prodigy.

It looks pathetic and shady to say the least. I would hope it would be illegal. Prodigy probably doesn't have enough money to sue anyways. No point.

It would be the same as Nike taking Titleist clubs for Tiger and stamping Nike logos on them. Ford taking a Corvette racing car and taking off the Chevy badges and placing Ford on them.

They are not writing things on them. They are taking the stamp off and stamping them as Prodigy discs. They were made by Innova and not Prodigy.

It looks pathetic and shady to say the least. I would hope it would be illegal. Prodigy probably doesn't have enough money to sue anyways. No point.

I still don't believe there is a legal issue there. Ethics is a different animal. It's not like Prodigy is selling other manufacturers discs under their name.

Not illegal.
Ripe for LOLs but that's the C4 department's problem, not the L5000's

The actual rampant trademark and copyright infringement is what's gonna sink a company this year, not stamping better-made discs with a deceptive logo.

By the first of the year, they all had to be throwing 100% prodigy

you sure about that....I've seen Uli buying up Firebirds on DDGA. I know him and Ricky are not fans of the F1. But besides that disc I think all the players are happy and converted.

I still don't believe there is a legal issue there. Ethics is a different animal. It's not like Prodigy is selling other manufacturers discs under their name.

A valid point and I get that entirely however they are profiting off the sales of their discs partially based off of what people are seeing their sponsored pros throw under the guise that they are something they in fact are not.

Does what I just said make any sense?

Or Prodigy with their Air Jordan stamps? I've seen Gateway and Prodigy with those.

quick google search shows the Jumpman logo is owned by Nike….I have a hard time believing their herd of lawyers isn't crafting a cease and desist order to whoever is stamping the logo. Especially if anyone is making money from the sale of them.

A valid point and I get that entirely however they are profiting off the sales of their discs partially based off of what people are seeing their sponsored pros throw under the guise that they are something they in fact are not.

Does what I just said make any sense?

Yes it does and I agree. The common spectator might see nikko throw and destroyer and think that he is throwing a D1 etc.

I get what you're saying, but I still don't see it as a legal issue. However, I am no expert.

I'm not arguing about the legality of it from a business perspective, I'm saying that the PDGA should make it illegal to do such a thing via a hotstamp process. Drawing,dying whatever is one thing but bringing something mechanical in I think is a whole other. If you want to stamp something different on your discs design something, pay for the stamp to be made and have that done to customize it, but putting another disc manufacturers logo on it via hot stamp process is getting sketchy and misrepresenting to the fans what you are actually throwing. I think this is just one of the growing pains of the sport. Because lets face it we know there are people out there who solely go and buy a disc because they saw so and so throw it at such and such tournament and win so there must be something about that disc. Then they go and buy it hoping to replicate said performance for them.

quick google search shows the Jumpman logo is owned by Nike….I have a hard time believing their herd of lawyers isn't crafting a cease and desist order to whoever is stamping the logo. Especially if anyone is making money from the sale of them.

they aren't profiting from the logo tho, still being sold at the same cost as a prod. stamp. Idk if that makes any difference at all tho.

@sugarnot
From what I understand they dyed the logo on there not stamped...but I am not that well informed on that subject. But yea, I would think their would be some issues if they are stamping other brands.