• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Players' NON-Prodigy Discs In Their Bags

tu-f-o

Double Eagle Member
I'm curious if anyone knows what NON-Prodigy discs Prodigy players still use?
Mainly, does Nikko still drive with wizards?

I remember Will used a firebird to win a tourney.

Are they all Prodigy'd out now?

I would assume they can have a mix bag as the catalog of discs is still fairly small, and it appears they are more a about players winning and promoting the company then all about the discs.

Well I'm no pro. But I lately have carried a lot of prodigy. But a couple discs I can not get away from are ROADRUNNER, and other speed 9-10 discs VALK, BEAST, SURGE, and my Crush for stable shots with a reliable hook.

I think quite a few of the players have fully converted, im pretty sure Will S is completely converted. Last i saw Nikko was throwing a star something at Worlds

The other thing with them is that unless you get up close and personal with them to actually be able to see the disc you really don't know (although most prodigy discs/plastic is unique enough in its look to not be confused with something else) but I've seen PP selling her old challs that had the stamps wiped and Prodigy stamped on them.

Granted I know its just a stamp and with a disc with a tourney stamp you can't tell what mold it is immediately by looking at it, BUT i feel stamping one manufacturers disc with another manufacturers stamp is going too far and wish the PDGA would make some type of rule about that being illegal, just out of principle. I think if you want to have your own custom stamp made and have your discs stamped with that instead of inking them or whatever that is one thing (meeting the marking/indentifying requirement) but not crossing brands.

I think if another Company found out they were stamping their discs with Prodigy stamps they could file a lawsuit. They are misrepresenting the product.

I think if another Company found out they were stamping their discs with Prodigy stamps they could file a lawsuit. They are misrepresenting the product.

On what legal grounds? If you own a disc, I would think that you are free to write whatever you want on it.

By the first of the year, they all had to be throwing 100% prodigy

Granted, it was in May, but Nikko was throwing a highlighter green/yellow destroyer at Master's Cup. Took me by surprise since the distance drivers were the first discs prodigy put out so I figured Nikko would've had time to get used to them. Then again, nothing flies as great as a stable destroyer.

i think that would suck but i see why they would have to do it. they get paid by the company to use there products. that is what makes them a proffessional. they have to use the products. i think Feldberg now has to use only lat 64, westside and also dynamic discs.

Last time I followed Nikko and Ricky at Pro Worlds (practice rounds). Nikko threw Drones and Destroyers. Ricky threw Avairs, Destroyers and Firebirds. There are some other molds I was not sure of.

Yeah I noticed that Will is fully converted.

Granted I know its just a stamp and with a disc with a tourney stamp you can't tell what mold it is immediately by looking at it, BUT i feel stamping one manufacturers disc with another manufacturers stamp is going too far and wish the PDGA would make some type of rule about that being illegal, just out of principle. I think if you want to have your own custom stamp made and have your discs stamped with that instead of inking them or whatever that is one thing (meeting the marking/indentifying requirement) but not crossing brands.

It seems a lot of newer companies are doing this. I watched a Steve Rico "In The Bag" and he had a few Rocs,an Eagle, and a Wraith all stamped with the Legacy Logo

i think that would suck but i see why they would have to do it. they get paid by the company to use there products. that is what makes them a proffessional. they have to use the products. i think Feldberg now has to use only lat 64, westside and also dynamic discs.

Why would it suck to have to throw your sponsors discs? Especially after switching sponsors and still continuing to throw their discs? To me that is just shady behavior.

Do we really have to resurrect this subject again? This has been rehashed so many times. All the outrage over what sponsored players throw kind of baffles me. Also, all the people saying, "Since x player doesn't throw all y brand, y brand must be crap." I think everyone knows that kind of talk is just silly, but it persists.

I mean, it would be hard for any player to convert from throwing all one company's discs to throwing all another's. We all have our favorite discs for different kinds of shots and everyone's favorites are different (and very few of us actually bag ALL one brand). If even one top player is throwing all Prodigy and winning tournaments then I think it should put to bed the rumor that those discs must be crap. So why the rehash again?

Do we really have to resurrect this subject again? This has been rehashed so many times. All the outrage over what sponsored players throw kind of baffles me. Also, all the people saying, "Since x player doesn't throw all y brand, y brand must be crap." I think everyone knows that kind of talk is just silly, but it persists.

I mean, it would be hard for any player to convert from throwing all one company's discs to throwing all another's. We all have our favorite discs for different kinds of shots and everyone's favorites are different (and very few of us actually bag ALL one brand). If even one top player is throwing all Prodigy and winning tournaments then I think it should put to bed the rumor that those discs must be crap. So why the rehash again?

Nobody is saying they're crap, but it doesn't look good for a company (To people who don't remain as informed as us on DGCR) to have their players throwing something from another company when Prodigy has a similar disc in their lineup. For the people who haven't thrown Prodigy discs and seen that they can perform (There are plenty of serious disc golfers who aren't involved with this forum), they may wonder "Why does nikko throw a Star Destroyer over a D1/2/3??"

The issue for me is the fact that they switch sponsors but continue throwing their old sponsors discs. I used to race motocross and I never saw a kid sponsored by Kawasaki riding a
Honda with Kawasaki graphics on it... If you look at it from a non disc golf perspective it's hilariously messed up.

DG sponsorship is weak as hell anyways. A player would be better off trying to find 3rd party sponsors to rep them outside of the DG world.. Local dentist office might be a better sponsor than so and so's HyzerTeam BS.