• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Project Announcement - Disc Golf Board Game

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
As an avid board gamer and board game designer I have always been drawn to board games of strategy. I have played a wide range of strategy board games and began developing board games for myself. That expanded to friends and family and then finally as a contractor for board game companies of widely published retail games.

I have recently began developing an independent project for a Disc Golf Board game and I wanted to share this project with all of you.

My goal is to create a board game that:

- forces the player to think about disc and shot selection.
- incorporates many varieties of shots.
- incorporates disc choices based on disc type, plastic, age, and flight characteristics.
- include wind and weather effects.
- include terrain effects (uphill and downhill).
- include a variety of shot results that incorporate the unpredictible nature of errant shots.

Other features will include courses that are graphically pleasing to look with the potential of creating some REAL LIFE courses upon request. I also want to develop add-ons to the game that include "character" development in both shot making skills as well as disc choices.

I do not want to give away my game mechanic however I will say that the mechanic I have been developing for other similar games (ball golf for one) uses more strategy and less luck. Players will have the ability to choose shot and disc combinations based on weather and hole layouts. Dice Rolling is minimized in favor of shot placement. Discs will have to be "thrown" around, over, under, and through course obstacles.

My goal is to create a board game that incorporates as much real world skill as can possibly be achieved with a simulated board game experience.

I will be keeping you all up to date on this project. I will also be leaning on comments and advice from anyone who wants to offer their thoughts on disc flight, shot selection, course preperation, and whatever else I need advice/help with.

I will eventually be submitting this game concept to personal contacts in many game publishing companies and DGCR will play in important role in getting to that point. A Disc Golf Game made by Disc Golfers FOR Disc Golfers.

I'd love to help out in development. Sounds like a great rainy day/cold day/late night pass-time.

Thanks Bill. I think I am going to get a "core" team together and just toss ideas around with that group. I have a few on the team now and you will be included. Thanks!

wow this sounds like it could be a lot of fun. I would love to try it out.

Last edited:
I like the idea and I appreciate that a lot of thought goes into such things. It could wind up being very comprehensive.

Will there be someone in the board game that will recommend a discing down routine after every shot? :gross:

I'll volunteer as a beta tester once you've developed a working version of this game.

I'm really intrigued by this idea. If you're minimizing dice rolls, I'll be curious to see how you incorporate situations such as grip locks, tree hits/tree love, skips, and many of the other events that effect players of all skill levels.

The game will need to use dice for portions of it. That is pretty much a given. For all the random stuff like, which way off a tree a disc kicks.

The throw itself will also be a dice roll but in the sense that the dice determine your release not where the disc ends up. Let me explain:

Your pre-shot choices as a player will be the same as they are in real life: Disc, Throw Type, & Throw Angle to name a few. Each of those are broke down a little more (disc weight range, Forehand, Backhand, Tomahawk, Thummer, and the angle will be a degree range for Hyzer or Anhyzer to be explained more later). Before each shot in real life and in this game you will think threw all these choices for each shot. Typically, you just know what works, walk up and toss it. What works in our head however does not always happen when we release the disc. I may want to throw an overstable mid-range disc (Buzzz but I am generically naming them for now) in the HEAVY weight range. My goal is to throw it BH and as FLAT as I can with a nice snapped release. However, I hold onto the disc a little longer then I want to a pull it left.

The accuracy of a players throw will be determined by dice roll and player skill level. The result will be based on the normal flight path of the disc and other variables like wind direction and obviously obstacles. More on this to come.

What method will be used to decide if you shank a shot, hit a tree, etc?

The utilization of dice might be an option.

Dice and player skill levels are used to determine how well you released the disc. This effects the flight of the disc. If the flight of the disc is into or near a tree, that outcome of that hit (hit or miss, as well as direction of bounce) is based on a dice roll.

Would be cool to have some "effect" cards that could either help or hurt your throw. A "Sounds like OAT" card would cause you to turnover the disc +1 no matter how you threw. "hot streak" fixes your release to one better.

etc...

It is important to note that my goal is to create "levels" of the game. There will be a fast play, minimal thought option and a more accurate, more variety, slightly longer mode of play. When you sit down to throw a round, you choose how much thought you want to put into it.

I am not one to like picking up a set of dice and rolling it to do everything. You spend more time dice rolling then enjoying the game. I have planned for that with the concept of different dice to represent different things. You roll them all at once and if you need to see if you hit a tree or not, you just look at the "tree hit" dice. This is just a thought I had on paper not one extensively developed.

I also plan on having a Character set. Similar to something like Hot Shot Golf. Out of the box you can choose from characters with certain skill sets. Default characters will have predetermined bags, certain shots that they are good at (FH or BH). The out of the box characters cannot be developed beyond their original skill levels. They are a QUICK USE tool.

For more customization however, you could create your own character and develop him or her. Fill their bag, choose their starting throw types and skills. As you play your player's skill increases. You get more consistent and you are able to add other shots to your available shot types like tomahawks and/or thummers.

A players skill level determines how accurate they are, how far they throw, how well they putt, etc. These skills effect the dice rolls.

Last edited:
Is anyone else interested in being a part of this discussion? I am going to continue this discussion somewhere else so if you want to be a part of the development please let me know.

Latest posts