• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Project Announcement - Disc Golf Board Game

I have created a group for this development discussion that is invite only. If you want to be a part of the discussion, let me know via PM and I will send you an invite.

We have been having a pretty good discussion and we are moving ahead. I am hoping to get some more input from more veteran players. If you are intersted in being a part of the group I set up, please let me know and I will send you an invite. Thanks!

I would love to be part of this. I will send a PM.

There was a Disc Golf board games years ago called Holes. I have it at the house. I'll post pictures.

This sounds lame, but if thought out properly.. you need skill interaction, not only luck. Like one of those flingers that shoot baskets, mini basket ball ya know? You need a basket and some sort of flinger to make this good. With variables like how many ft from the basket on inches on the board or in comparison to size. Also a throw meter like how many times you can push a button in how many seconds will determine how far you'll fly. Or you can do trivia too, something skill related, not so much luck

I'll volunteer as a beta tester once you've developed a working version of this game.

I'm really intrigued by this idea. If you're minimizing dice rolls, I'll be curious to see how you incorporate situations such as grip locks, tree hits/tree love, skips, and many of the other events that effect players of all skill levels.

Agreed. I'd be a beta tester too... I'd also love to help out by giving ideas if you have any places on your "team" for someone like that!

Looking forward to hearing more!
:clap:

jtbingster and discordye, I will send you both group invites. Stay in as long as you want. If it is not what you were thinking, feel free to leave.

Dice and player skill levels are used to determine how well you released the disc. This effects the flight of the disc. If the flight of the disc is into or near a tree, that outcome of that hit (hit or miss, as well as direction of bounce) is based on a dice roll.

So... depending on your scores in former games, your correct release point "percentage" (or something like that) would get higher? That's an idea.

Disc Golf Board Game

I would like to be part of this. I am an avid disc golfer and board game enthusiast.

Also a huge board game enthusiast. Our family loves games with much less luck and more strategy. Like many we started with Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride... which we still play of course. We then fell in love with Puerto Rico.

Our new favorite is Seven Wonders! Best game ever right now... Also like Agricola and Power Grid.

If you can create a disc golf game in the model of some of these, I'd be all over it! Would help out as well... but this is a very old thread... so very curious as to what happened to the project.

Since somebody bumped this thread, I'll use it as a weak excuse to re-post this old thing:
discopoly.jpg

Our new favorite is Seven Wonders! Best game ever right now... Also like Agricola and Power Grid.

If you can create a disc golf game in the model of some of these, I'd be all over it! Would help out as well... but this is a very old thread... so very curious as to what happened to the project.

Interesting thread resurrection.. I was wondering why I'd never heard about a disc golf board game in development..

@ScottyLove, I agree, Seven Wonders is excellent.. and my current favorite too. I just grabbed the Wonder Pack expansion, and am itching to play again. ;)

Honestly, though, I think a disc golf board game will be hard-pressed to come up with a workable mechanic when it comes to Euro-style resource-management games.

To me, it feels like disc golf would be more in the vein of tabletop 'wargame' simulations. The exact specifics of foliage (height and thickness), angular accuracy (down to a scale of just a couple degrees), etc. really require an actual 3d scale model course to do justice to.. and even then you'd need to somehow model wind, drive speed, spin, and stability mechanics.

I've talked a bit about applying game design to disc golf (course design) in the past, but the really critical aspect here, in my opinion, is "control": in all 'game' activities, players make 'decisions' that have an impact on the outcome of activity events. i.e. correct/skillful 'decisions' give the player a greater likelihood of 'winning' the game (i.e. give the player control). Simplifying the realities of disc golf into a board game while not reducing it to just dice rolls is going to be tough, imo. In particular, I think one challenging aspect is going to be the board 'grid'. Even using hexes, I don't think there are enough possible angles to work with for carving simulated flight lines, and I'm scratching my head as to how a board game could use another grid system without either involving a lot of math (i.e. it would be better handled as a computer game) or going the tabletop wargame route (with rulers, templates, staggeringly-long rulebooks, and day-long playtimes).

As someone who does international and regional sourcing and manufacturing agreements for a living, I would also love to help out once you get closer to that point. :D