• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed rule changes for 2024

Coming from a traditional golf background where every one on the card was required to keep a paper scorecard (in sanctioned events) and sign off others scorecards after verifying at the end of rounds, seeing people in disc golf have issues with having to keep score is weird.
My issue with this rule is some people take an obnoxious amount of time to do anything in life and forcing them to pull out a device and unlock it and ask everyone their score or write it on paper WILL add 30+ minutes to a round.

The type of guys that drop their bag 30 feet from their lie and then walk up to their lie place their marker then walk back to their bag to pick a disc then walk back to the lie take 15 pumps then shank it into the bushes 50 feet ahead.

My issue with this rule is some people take an obnoxious amount of time to do anything in life and forcing them to pull out a device and unlock it and ask everyone their score or write it on paper WILL add 30+ minutes to a round.

The type of guys that drop their bag 30 feet from their lie and then walk up to their lie place their marker then walk back to their bag to pick a disc then walk back to the lie take 15 pumps then shank it into the bushes 50 feet ahead.
That's why I put my bag 25 ft from my lie, and only take 12 pumps. 😉

If 2 people have done digital I will be throwing away paper cards as long as the totals match the digital thus making the work of the paper-using players to keep score completely superfluous and a waste of both part of a tree, their time, and my own- just so we can say "well, everyone has to do it."
But what happens if one of those paper scorecards had an incorrect score? By the new rules, the player who kept that score is supposed to be penalized. So are you saying you will let players get way with not keeping score properly? :D

But what happens if one of those paper scorecards had an incorrect score? By the new rules, the player who kept that score is supposed to be penalized. So are you saying you will let players get way with not keeping score properly? :D
I am saying if they have the correct total I don't care how they arrived at it. A weird side effect of the proposed rule is that only paper card users will be subject to those penalties since PDGA Live is self correcting with multiple players doing it.

Oh so you have filled out your paper work for a IRC 501(c) then like all other non-profit disc golf clubs?

Talk about ignorance. Or have you also filled at as LLC to limit you liabilities?

As always completely clueless.

Why yes Mr. Know it All, we're organized under an LLC that's a 501c7.

Would you care to keep displaying your condescending arrogance some more?

I am saying if they have the correct total I don't care how they arrived at it. A weird side effect of the proposed rule is that only paper card users will be subject to those penalties since PDGA Live is self correcting with multiple players doing it.
I understood you.....but a scorecard that has a 4 on hole 8 and a 3 on hole 9 when it should be 3 and 4 is still a wrong scorecard.

I also agree that if the two digital scores are correct and the paper totals are correct that should be good enough. But I can see the paper score keepers just putting down scores and, at the end, asking the digital scorers what the totals were and entering that. Heck, who wants to do addition? The players who refuse to keep score now, will just agree to do paper scores and 'pencil whip' them if they know the actual entries don't matter.

That can certainly be an issue. I was more referring to the habitual "I can't keep score because my battery is low, I forgot my phone, my dog died, my wife doesn't let me use sharp objects, the government is spying on me" people having issue keeping score. I've never understood someone having an issue with keeping score. The second example you gave is both equally maddening as it is hilarious when it happens. I usually make endless fun of "that guy". I love to "good shot" that guy and add "That 9th pump really looked like the right one, but those 3 extra were offline and ruined your shot."

That can certainly be an issue. I was more referring to the habitual "I can't keep score because my battery is low, I forgot my phone, my dog died, my wife doesn't let me use sharp objects, the government is spying on me" people having issue keeping score. I've never understood someone having an issue with keeping score. The second example you gave is both equally maddening as it is hilarious when it happens. I usually make endless fun of "that guy". I love to "good shot" that guy and add "That 9th pump really looked like the right one, but those 3 extra were offline and ruined your shot."
I personally only carry my phone for work or family emergencies and weather alerts and it stays in my bag until the round is finished. I don't mind keeping score though and I will gladly keep paper score it's how I always did it for tournaments back in the early 2000s. I won't ever do electronic scoring, sorry to the td's reading this I'm your paper card guy.

I personally only carry my phone for work or family emergencies and weather alerts and it stays in my bag until the round is finished. I don't mind keeping score though and I will gladly keep paper score it's how I always did it for tournaments back in the early 2000s. I won't ever do electronic scoring, sorry to the td's reading this I'm your paper card guy.
I hate you. (only in a theoretical sort of way :) )

So back on topic here. The pdga was asking for feedback on the rule changes a few days ago. Does this mean there could be possible changes??? Why ask for feedback after?

Public comments will be shared with the committees/BOD to determine if the proposals should be tweaked/dropped. The public comment period runs through today (8/15).

Comments that show a hole in the rules, an edge case not considered, or unintended consequences are the ones that are most valuable in this process. Comments that are essentially votes just one way or the other on a topic in general are not very useful.

I have the exact same feelings about using my phone during a round as you. should not at all be a controversial take

b0ZyAbK.jpeg

Coming from a traditional golf background where every one on the card was required to keep a paper scorecard (in sanctioned events) and sign off others scorecards after verifying at the end of rounds, seeing people in disc golf have issues with having to keep score is weird.

If for some odd reason my phone isn't charged or my cell service is crappy in a certain area, it shouldn't be an issue for someone else on the card to keep score.

FYI, I keep digital score 90% of the time.