• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pushing/balancing off back leg

How well do pitching mechanics translate to BH? Because when I watched your gifs all I could see is sidearm

That's not sidearm, oh, wait, I see what you mean. I think of sidearm with the arm slot level, and Otani is a pitcher, throwing about 3/4 overhand. Just look at his shoulder tilt. But I guess it's forehand.

Here's why I shared the gif. Otani lands on that front leg and it straightens, and the rear leg soars up into the air with the heel near his head. What caused that?

I have believed the leg extends pushing the hip back and increasing pelvic rotation. A recent TreadAthletics video said the pelvic rotation actually lifts the brace leg straight instead. That doesn't really track with Dr Kwon's step drills.

So when I posted that gif I thought it showed the leg extending - but maybe it doesn't show that. Maybe that counterbalancing rear leg lifts the brace leg.

So when I posted that gif I thought it showed the leg extending - but maybe it doesn't show that. Maybe that counterbalancing rear leg lifts the brace leg.

I think the counterbalancing is what causes it. If you look at a pitch with a lower swing path (ie sidearm) it doesn't cause the leg lift. It looks almost exactly like a DG sidearm, where the back leg gets like knee height

Baseball: https://youtu.be/IlOttZS9zsc

DG: https://youtu.be/VHwud7UohVw

I just read through this whole thread and I'm still a bit confused. To me, it seems like there is conflict between the Tread Athletics videos (where he says that the front leg extension is a byproduct of clearing the front hip) and the Mike Malaska videos (where he says that the front leg extension drives the front hip back). Which is it? Or is it just different between pitching and golfing, and if that's the case, which is relevant to backhand?

As an aside, I recently watched a Danny Lindahl video that also mentioned using the force against the ground with the plant foot to clear the right hip combined with some force from the ball of the rear foot to drive the left hip down/in, which felt like it cleared things up for me but again seems in contention with the Tread Athletics advice.

Last edited:
I just read through this whole thread and I'm still a bit confused. To me, it seems like there is conflict between the Tread Athletics videos (where he says that the front leg extension is a byproduct of clearing the front hip) and the Mike Malaska videos (where he says that the front leg extension drives the front hip back). Which is it? Or is it just different between pitching and golfing, and if that's the case, which is relevant to backhand?

As an aside, I recently watched a Danny Lindahl video that also mentioned using the force against the ground with the plant foot to clear the right hip combined with some force from the ball of the rear foot to drive the left hip down/in, which felt like it cleared things up for me but again seems in contention with the Tread Athletics advice.
The Tread one doesn't make much sense to me although it might just be because in pitching they are always trying to max velocity so you are always bracing as hard as you can, so it's more automatic or perceived that way.

In golf you brace harder the further you want to swing. You usually don't want to swing much over 70-80% while playing tourney vs long drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocMJecgW2w&t=1m23s

Thats not the scary part.
The scary part about Jack is when you learn that during his prime he was using some of the worse clubs and worse balls and still literally crushing people.

Sorry to side track, but I've always been a huge fan and when I did some reading on him and learned this I was absolutely blown away.

Which really puts the analogy into play of archer not the arrow.
Though good arrows help.

I remember before he retired at one point and he was playing good equipment, still on the pro tour and touring regularly and was like top 3. Game synced up again and that proper equipment suddenly gave him the extra he needed to keep up with the young guns at the time like Tiger.

Jack>Tiger all day.

Sorry, This sidetrack has been brought to you by the fact I've played ball golf for 25 years now and it still excites me to think about this stuff.

Latest posts