• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Selection Help

I've used just about every putter out there from almost every brand. I used Aviars in all plastics at first, then I went to a Magnet, then a Challenger, then a Rhyno, then a Wizard, then a Money putter, then a Magic, then back to an Aviar. Now I use Soft Magnets, and they are money shot discs. I can approach with them dead straight and they dont fade very much when I putt with them. If you are looking for a putter you can drive with as well, go for a Challenger or a Wizard.

25 feet and closer I push but beyond that I tend to start to spin putt. But it's not very often that I'm further than that from the basket after two throws unless it's an extremely long hole(over 600 feet).

I'm glad to hear you push. I feel its the most consistant form of putting. I also practice other styles.
I say stay with a form of beaded putter such as a wizard, avair, challenger, focus. Its okay to cheat a lil and give a lil anny and spin to extend your circle. Just realize the power comes from weight shift and timing more then the arm, wrist, or hand. If you want it to go straighter, throw it harder.

I was looking at Wizards last night. I always see people talking about driving with them. That's the putter I've been curious about the most.

I love my Wizards. I got one in Evolution HPP plastics and I like to use it for long approaches/short drives.

If you get a Wizard for driving, try to get either the Evolution or a harder plastic like Medium. You don't want a softer one start to fall apart from hard tree hits. If you're trying a new putter for within 25 ft, I love my SSS. Feels awesome, especially in this cold.

I'm using a MVP Medium ION and I'm loving it. At the moment I can drive it about 250' and it's excellent also inside the circle :thmbup:

OP, realize these people are just recomending putters they like.
If you're pushin, you want beaded and firm.

if you're a push putter, i'd go with a firm wizard or a challenger. I'm a push putter, I use the challenger for circle putts, and the wizard for drives. great combo

Ive tried about every putter on the market. I started with Aviar putt and approaches many years ago and have ended up putting these days with Aviar Big Beads (KC,JK,Star,Champ). They're beefy enough to drive with, approach, and putt. You could play a round with just a BB Aviar and be okay. Its a great utility disc as well as a putter, love it!!

from 25 and in any putter with a round edge is basically the same other than the difference in release with floppy or firm. i can't get a clean release with floppy.

from 25 and in any putter with a round edge is basically the same other than the difference in release with floppy or firm. i can't get a clean release with floppy.

I dont know if I agree with this. I think it really depends on how you putt. I putt with a slight loft and I have noticed differences in drop, glide and fade.

You wont tell much from a putter rated close but from a Ridge to a Magic, you definately notice from 10' and out.

I've grown to like the feel of the bead on putters, I dont like beedless putters at all anymore.

Wizards are for driving, some just putt with them but they fade to hard for me, if you want something that's not gonna fade so hard get a magic.172 is my weight of choice, it just feels perfect in my hand. I would pick up a couple weights and just see which feels most comfortable.

I think the APX was rated "straightest-finishing putter" on DGR. It's what I use, and I can attest that it does fly and finish SUPER straight. It also has a good amount of glide, so it shouldn't run out of gas on you as easily.

EDIT: Yup.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/bestof.shtml

Yeah. I used an APX for quite a while. It's a great straight putter. I really liked it for approach shots too. Eventually, I went back to using challengers for the approach shots (better in the wind imo) and started using a Putt'r for putts (another super straight putter with less glide than the apx).

The Vibram Summit is a really straight flyer. Got one in a player package last month, thing flies like it's laser guided.

Latest posts