• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting practice baskets in small neighborhood parks.

tripp

Birdie Member
I think it would be good for DG if we could get putting practice baskets installed in the small neighborhood parks. Having two of them about 35-40 feet apart would be ideal.

Yea, thats a great idea, although at that point I would rather have a portable I could take anywhere and not have to deal with 'park goers' ya know?

I like the idea. My worry is that they're going to be even more susceptible to douchebags stealing and damaging them, or rambunctious kids using them as a mini jungle gym, than ones on full courses.

Only problem is a disc golf is going to drive by and go "Eww, a course!" and stop and try to play. An hour later you see a sad broken man after having spent an hour in the woods looking for the course.

Good idea, but DG isn't near mainstream enough for it to be warranted.

There actually was a trailer park complex near me that advertised "Disc Golf!" somewhere where a friend of mine saw. He dragged us out there for us to find you have to live there, and it was just a couple baskets in an open field.

Theres this one park in appleton that has one basket, and we have several courses in the area to play. Whats weird is one course pulls their baskets for the winter, but left two in for some reason, maybe because they were to hard to get a truck to or something.

Only problem is a disc golfer is going to drive by and go "Eww, a course!" and stop and try to play. An hour later you see a sad broken man after having spent an hour in the woods looking for the course.

So very, very sad...:doh: :wall:

We have this at one park in Milwaukee... Kops Park I believe. I would love for the city to do this at more parks.

I think for this to be effective - the basket that would go into such a situation may look much different than you are imagining. It would need to be on par with the level of sturdyness and bomb proofness that is consistent with the rest of the playground equipment in said same park space. It would also need to be heavily imprinted with a label of what it is.

I suggest that normal basket on a single skinny pole type esthetics may not be what would work in this usage.

How about everything from basket down be solid and poured? Much like a base of a utilitiy light pole in a shopping center. Maybe even full 27" diameter to the edge of the basket rim. Four bolt attachment on this base with super heavy duty topper(?) perhaps. Base could be the imprinting location in the casting of "disc golf" or suitable label. Maybe solid cut metal instead of skinny economically-minded welded rod stock. You get where this is going.

Remember, in a park like this, the picnic tables come in at blow-your-mind astronomical costs, garbage cans are multiple hundreds of dollars to meet design standards, etc..

in the end it would have to meet the specs of the park department for being virtually "maintenance free" especially since its not on a volunteer maintained or club sherpherded course.

That being said, it could look appealing to a parks designer as a lower cost (or lower risk producing) element than a swingset. (Because items like those are what you'd be competing with for budget)

I think for this to be effective - the basket that would go into such a situation may look much different than you are imagining. It would need to be on par with the level of sturdyness and bomb proofness that is consistent with the rest of the playground equipment in said same park space. It would also need to be heavily imprinted with a label of what it is.

I suggest that normal basket on a single skinny pole type esthetics may not be what would work in this usage.

How about everything from basket down be solid and poured? Much like a base of a utilitiy light pole in a shopping center. Maybe even full 27" diameter to the edge of the basket rim. Four bolt attachment on this base with super heavy duty topper(?) perhaps. Base could be the imprinting location in the casting of "disc golf" or suitable label. Maybe solid cut metal instead of skinny economically-minded welded rod stock. You get where this is going.

Remember, in a park like this, the picnic tables come in at blow-your-mind astronomical costs, garbage cans are multiple hundreds of dollars to meet design standards, etc..

in the end it would have to meet the specs of the park department for being virtually "maintenance free" especially since its not on a volunteer maintained or club sherpherded course.

That being said, it could look appealing to a parks designer as a lower cost (or lower risk producing) element than a swingset. (Because items like those are what you'd be competing with for budget)

Good point. I wonder if there is a market for super heavy duty baskets.

Depends on what kind of neighborhood the park is located in. Baskets wouldn't last 24 hours around here, lol

Maybe install some type of pressure switch in the sleeve and hook it up to some serious voltage. If someone either sits on the basket or tries to pull it out of the ground, they'll get electrocuted. :popcorn:

I donated and installed 3 Mach Vs at my kids elementary school. A three hole rec course to them, three practice baskets to me! The kids have discs as playground equipment options (along with hula hoops and bballs) and the PTA is selling discs to raise money... I could see something like this working in lots of schools and parks.

I've seen this in a few places, Im a big fan of the idea. I'd love to see rest stops put in a basket or three as well, nice way to break up a long drive.

^Mashnut, I always thought a small course a rest stops would be a great idea.

The park across the street from me was going to put in a basket with a putting circle, but it was cut due to cost. Bummer.

Theres this one park in appleton that has one basket, and we have several courses in the area to play. Whats weird is one course pulls their baskets for the winter, but left two in for some reason, maybe because they were to hard to get a truck to or something.

That park had three baskets at one time and you could create a little mini course. Unfortunately, as a couple of baskets were stolen from the main parks; the baskets were removed from Lions Park and used as replacements at the main park; without authorization from the original installer of Lions or his blessing. It's a bit of a sore point.

A park on the west side of Madison has two baskets ... Mach III deluxe models to boot. They are probably 100 to 150 feet apart, both set in the middle of areas that they flood in the winter for ice skating (hence why they went with sleeves and collars). The biggest problem is that those areas are covered in gravel, so it's OK for putting, but not so great for practicing longer shots with discs that you care about ... unless you want to break them in quickly! I actually talked to one of the reps of the neighborhood association, and I believe they paid for one and the City matched it. The park has had some vandalism issues, but I don't think the baskets have been hit. The neighborhood rep expressed a desire to see more people using the park in a positive manner, so our club may work with them to put on some type of demo. I would love to see this idea flourish in parks all over the place.

I think it would be good for DG if we could get putting practice baskets installed in the small neighborhood parks. Having two of them about 35-40 feet apart would be ideal.

This is exactly what they did at a park near me. Alpine Park. You can see it here. It used to just be tennis courts and basketball courts, and the b-ball courts had some nice benches people would skate. Eventually they got pissed off, tried to stop the skating, then decided f it and just built a skatepark there. Pretty cool because they put those benches in the skatepark...but they set them up so I couldn't do my boardslide manual boardslide anymore =/

Anyways here are the baskets.

CJvf1.jpg

7nkTy.jpg

Latest posts