• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Puttober!

Gennataos

Eagle Member
I've toyed around with discing down several times in my relatively brief time playing disc golf, but aside from playing with just Aviars and Rocs for a few months when I started, I've never had the patience to stick with it for longer than a week or so. I played a couple rounds yesterday, one with my full bag (Summit, Ridge, Ibex, Obex, Trak, Ascent), one with just a Ridge. As I've seen before, I scored better with just the Ridge.

Afterwards, I took a stack of Ridges out to a football field and found that I throw them in the 240's, on average. This is the first time I've found myself to throw any disc at the inBounds-measured distance with any level of consistency....and accurately!

So, I've decided I'm going all putter in the month of October. Whether that's overkill to develop my game or not, bah...who cares...it should be fun. I'll chronicle my month of Puttober here, whether anyone cares or not!

The first official round of Puttober is in the books. I got a chance to play a round at Logan College today. From what I've heard, unofficially, the course par is 65. I ended up shooting a 75, which is definitely less than stellar. However, my only other full round there was two Sundays ago, with my full bag, and I shot a 75. If it wasn't for a few poor decisions and some very unfortunate parked approaches which rolled away, I could have easily scored 70 or better.

Puttober is already in full bloom!

A less than glorious morning round has me realizing I have a long way to go. Wooded holes are my nemesis and I'm determined to conquer them

this seems like a really good idea! I have been really saying recently I need to work with putters on straight lines and hyzer/anny approaches inside 200'. With my recent frustration with throwing my other discs, it seems like this could be the solution to keep my sanity and also card some much needed practice on touch shots.

I'm a newbie and I definitely can't get the distance I should. I started out with a cheetah and got overconfident after my drives improved a bit, but none of those did as far as they should have gone. I decided I need to work on my form, and for the time being I'm joining puttober.

Today I took my putters to a football field and just aimed from one goal to the other. I started of with erratic 90ft shots, by the end of the session I got consistently 140ft in the right direction. Still not much, but a definite improvement.

Went to the local dg course and played a round with just two putters (soft ion for driving and soft wizard for putting). I only got an average score for me, but it felt much more precise than what I was playing before, I definitely see how I can get better. Can't wait to go back tomorrow.

This is what is currently in my bag
pQLaVPr.jpg

I picked up the buzzz today just to have a reference, something to compare the putters to. I know people recommend using only one mold for putting, but I don't even know yet which mold I like best, so it's nice to see how the different discs behave differently.

i support your efforts in puttober.

i'm bringing about the aputtcalypse myself. practicing putting often, but right now i have 12 putters and i am having a seriously tough time deciding which ones to use. only 5-6 are going to make the bag. maybe, someday, even fewer . . . someday . . .

best of luck. do not travel down the road i am on . . . that way lies darkness and confusion.

I've been doing the same thing and made the same decision at the beginning of the month. I didn't give it a sweet moniker though. I started with just a Pure, but quickly added the Ion when I realized that I had 10 of them lying around. The Anode is my only other putter, but it isn't looking good for it to keep a spot with the Pure around...

My month of putters will have to end for a Halloween tournament though. I'll lose by enough with fairways and mids.

I have 24 Wizards. Does anyone have a bigger bag I can borrow so I can play a Wizard only round? :)

I just bought a fade tourney bag with about 150$ left over from hitting the ace pot last week...with a putter. Throwing putters pays. :D if you lived nearby, hells yeah.

Puttober continues unabated! Herein lies a brief(??) summary of what I've been doing..

- I've abandoned the notion of keeping score when playing solo. I have a rough idea of how I'm doing, but the main point of Puttober is to learn to execute shots with putters. When playing solo and time/course traffic permitting, I'll throw a couple times for each shot. Not only do I feel it gives me the opportunity for more practice, it's just a more fun and relaxing way to play sometimes.

- Puttober is as much about learning which putters I like as it about learning how to throw them better. I'd started with a stack of Ridges, then threw in a VP and a Summit. I've determined that the VP might be useful to have around for super windy conditions, but the Summit does pretty much nothing I like. Some people love it, those people would not be me. I'll be rolling with three Ridges and a VP going forward.

- ....that is, after this Friday! There's a local glow tourney this Friday. I have an Eclipse Ion and Tangent for glows, as well as having picked up a soft Eclipse Anode this morning, so I started throwing that bag today. Being that it's a tournament, I wanted to see what kind of extra distance I'd get out of the Tangent, despite it being Puttober. Meh...for the course holding the glow, there's no hole for which the Tangent would turn a par into a birdie over the Ion or Anode.

- Having thrown only medium Vibrams for the past few months, I've found it's a little unnerving to throw stiff plastic now. Both the Tangent and Ion felt pretty weird at first, but the soft Eclipse Anode did a good job of helping me work through the transition. That's a fantastic-feeling plastic, particularly compared to the regular Eclipse. After a couple rounds with the MVP bag, I felt as comfortable as I do with my Vibrams. If the rumored Glow Vibrams ever happen, though, I'll happily sell off the MVP stuff.

- I'm not sure if I'm gaining any true distance with the putters, nor do I know if I care about that, but I do feel I'm making huge bounds in confidence to execute shots. The disc generally goes where I want it to go and I'm missing a hole lot more trees.

I'm jazzed to see how the glow tourney goes. For my Rec/Int division, I don't see any reason I couldn't win with just the Anode and Ion.

So, how many (if any) of your Puttober rounds have been in moderate or above wind conditions?

Putters!!

I played an Aces Revenge (second event of our local Ace Race), with three Wizards and won it. Everyone else thought I was strange as they tried to hit 150' holes with fairway drivers. I wonder what they thought as I loaded my Wizards back into my bag...right next to the Gateway Titan basket I won.

At the beginning of this summer I carried exactly one putter in my bag. Now I'm toting around 6...2 SSS Wizards, 2 RFF Wizards, a Classic Judge and a Grip Spike. I'm probably throwing half my shots with them.

I've always carried a lot of putters, but wooded courses with low hanging branches are a lot better played with midranges. If you're firm on putters only, low shots under trees might be the best use for your Summit. You don't have to have as much speed at release on it as your Ridge or VP and it will glide low better than both of them. At least they do for me.

I've always carried a lot of putters, but wooded courses with low hanging branches are a lot better played with midranges. If you're firm on putters only, low shots under trees might be the best use for your Summit. You don't have to have as much speed at release on it as your Ridge or VP and it will glide low better than both of them. At least they do for me.
I find the Summit too squirrelly for my tastes. I always have to find the right combo of hyzer and/or less power to make it not turn over. I've done it before, and I can replicate it, but it's not something I'm a fan of having to do.

Also, I'm only firm on the putters for now. While I'm discovering what I can do with my putters of choice, I'm also discovering what I can't do. Puttober is likely to roll into Midvember....possibly Midcember. When I feel I've hit a wall, plateau or just get bored with it, I'll take out the spare Ridges (and likely the VP) and put my Ibex and Obex in.

Nothing exciting or new to report. I'm throwing well enough, getting good distance and I have a lot of confidence when I'm throwing, but it's not showing in scores. For the most part, it's a few disaster in which I hit an early tree and end up with a double bogey. I don't know if I can consider Puttober a success until I shoot par at my local course. I've done it before and there's no good reason I can't do it again, but I'm going to guess that when I have shot par with my Ridge the pins weren't in the long placements they are now.

I find the Summit too squirrelly for my tastes. I always have to find the right combo of hyzer and/or less power to make it not turn over. I've done it before, and I can replicate it, but it's not something I'm a fan of having to do.

This is something you should work on. Being able to hyzer flip an understable putter is a huge part of an advanced player's game. To speak for my own, I don't know what I'd do without my seasoned and completely beat up Wizards, they hold lines and do things no other disc or throwing technique can do.
It's also a good guage for how clean your form is. Understable discs can be called "squirrely," but it's usually just bad form.

Latest posts