• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about OAT?

saldawg13

Does OAT natural fix it's self over time? Since I have started playing disc golf a little over a year ago. I have gradually increased my distance from the tee. However I have been stuck at 340-360 for the last 6 months. I can almost get my mid ranges to 300 and I have been learning to get a nice S curve flight with my lower speed drivers. If I throw a higher speed driver like my surge or nuke I can get them to stand up for the first 3/4 or the flight yet they still finish kind of hard left.

Are you noticing a wobble in the disc right after release? That's OAT. From these distances that you're saying, there probably can't be too much OAT because they won't go that for with it. Sounds right on. Try thowing in an open field and throwing with no run up just arm to see how the release is, and increase it to get up to full steam and really see what the disc is doing right after release. If there is some OAT, it does go away real quick after the first 100 feet.

OAT isn't necessarily visible. 300 with mids is pretty good i would say if you have OAT it is minor.

Are you supposing that because the disc fades to the left, you're throwing with OAT? I'm not sure I'm understanding the question here. Do you throw RHBH? If so, then at Nuke/Surge is always going to tip a little back to the left at the end of the flight, especially if you're only throwing it 350ish.

Well from what yall are saying it is more an issue of inconstancy with my form. I don't notice any wobble from my backhand but I do have to really rip a mid to get it that far. It just doesn't feel real smooth. I do throw rhbh and I guess what I meant was that some people I play with can keep some higher speed disc straight the most of the flight. However they throw between 420-460 ft. Most of the time that distance comes from S curves.

You may or may not have some unintentional OAT, it's hard to say with the information given. Chances are it won't fix itself. You'll have to consciously work on not only eliminating it, but controlling it. Most line shaping drills will help.

However, I'm not sure OAT is what's holding you back. It sounds like you've reached a normal plateau, depending on what you're throwing 340-360'. To get past it you'll have to work on your timing. The hammer pound drills are the easiest way I know of to do this. It's probably worth building your throw from the hit back after you "get" those drills, too. Basically, if you want to throw anything more than incrementally farther you'll have to rethink and rebuild your throw.

This may be caused by anhyzer based release. You don't have to have OAT to not be reaching your max distance. Some people think they have a true hyzer release but because they are snapping it so fast on an anhyzer line and the high speed disc gets torqued so hard it flattens before it gets any air they do not realize it.

This may be caused by anhyzer based release. You don't have to have OAT to not be reaching your max distance. Some people think they have a true hyzer release but because they are snapping it so fast on an anhyzer line and the high speed disc gets torqued so hard it flattens before it gets any air they do not realize it.

this makes no sense.

an anhyzer release does not necessarily limit your max distance, it is a angle of throwing. how would torquing a disc from anhyzer make it flatten? it would just turn more.

Throw something flippy if you want to check OAT. The torque monkeys I know all have one thing in common, they hate "flippy" discs, especially when it comes to their max D.

this makes no sense.

an anhyzer release does not necessarily limit your max distance, it is a angle of throwing. how would torquing a disc from anhyzer make it flatten? it would just turn more.

some disc have a reverse air bounce when thrown this way. I don't know, maybe I'm exlaining it wrong.

Well from what yall are saying it is more an issue of inconstancy with my form. I don't notice any wobble from my backhand but I do have to really rip a mid to get it that far. It just doesn't feel real smooth. I do throw rhbh and I guess what I meant was that some people I play with can keep some higher speed disc straight the most of the flight. However they throw between 420-460 ft. Most of the time that distance comes from S curves.

Same discs as the people you are playing with? I would assume they are hyzer-flipping the discs in order to make them go straight with minimal fade on a 400'+ line which would require you to either do as stated above and work on timing to increase over-all speed to be able to flip the more stable discs from hyzer to flat vs throwing them flat and riding a helix out or disc down slightly to a slower less stable driver and hyzer-flip that. which SHOULD break 400 if you are throwing a flex shot 350'

some disc have a reverse air bounce when thrown this way. I don't know, maybe I'm exlaining it wrong.

If anything, it sounds like the wrist is trying to be rolled over to create the anhyzer release vs actually holding the anhyzer line throughout the entire reach-back/follow-through. If you try to roll your wrist last second (throwing fast) with a very OS disc it will likely do like you stated and just fly flat without ever holding any turn because it would take a ton of roll and power to get an OS disc to hold anhyzer just by torque. Likely the disc ends up being released flat before the roll takes effect (why it is more noticeable in mids/putters) and has nothing to do with air bounces or actually throwing anhyzer.

-- go to @ 1min

this makes no sense.

Also, I'm assuming he's tossing reasonably overstable plastic.

Does OAT natural fix it's self over time? Since I have started playing disc golf a little over a year ago. I have gradually increased my distance from the tee. However I have been stuck at 340-360 for the last 6 months. I can almost get my mid ranges to 300 and I have been learning to get a nice S curve flight with my lower speed drivers. If I throw a higher speed driver like my surge or nuke I can get them to stand up for the first 3/4 or the flight yet they still finish kind of hard left.

This sounds like nose angle is more of an issue than OAT as the distance bottleneck. What lower speed drivers are you throwing on S-curves?

I ask, because i play with a guy at leagues that can throw a beat champ sidewinder 300 feet s curve with pretty much no disc spin at all. It is bizarre and his horse gallop run-up makes my skin crawl.

I ask, because i play with a guy at leagues that can throw a beat champ sidewinder 300 feet s curve with pretty much no disc spin at all. It is bizarre and his horse gallop run-up makes my skin crawl.

lol. going to use that one next time I see a odd run-up. good stuff!

A friends dad throws similar with low disc speed and huge S curves from understable/stable discs but only about 200'

I play with people like this. All of them are old timers. They do some crazy things that defy all logic of how competent throws are supposed to be. They make up for lack of distance with consistency and rarely missing a putt from 40'.

It really is a horse gallop. younger guy with a big arm (nice guy, fun to play a round with). The discs he throws are all tie-dye and the lack of spin is very visible. He's not awefull tho. And has a real good stand-still mid range game.

Latest posts