• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question for Age 40+ Players

jenb

* Ace Member *
How many days in a row can you play 2 rounds each day before become so fatigued that your skills deteriorate significantly?

That's a loaded question. I have severe pain in my elbow that tends to act up if I play more than once a week. So I focus my energy on promoting the sport, running tournaments and trying to get courses installed.

I do go with my two youngest boys a couple times a week to the course in the spring and summer. I'll only throw a couple of holes and the rest of the time is spent coaching them.

I would say it is not so much days in a row, but energy over the course of a day. I notice my back getting tired before the end of the first round and by mid 2nd round I find myself hunching over and the result is not being able to throw flat.....so everything hyzers. After a night's rest I seem to be fine to do it over again.

How strenuous of a course, the speed of play, the heat (cold and damp are worse), and not being able to sit down (as in forgetting to bring a stool) are the variables that influence the speed at which fatigue of my back sets in. I have not noticed any other part of me getting fatigued to a point of influencing my performance.

I 've played 2 or 3 rounds a day for 4 or 5 days with no problems. But I've also had a 2 or 3 day stretch that's wiped me out. Depends on the courses and how many max effort thumbers I launch. My buddy plays all FH and usually plays multiple rounds 5 or 6 days a week. He's 58, and his elbow and arm have been sore lately because he nevers rests. I think you need to know yourself. I take 4 or 5 days off every once in a while. And if I feel sore or fatigued I'll play no FH or OH weeks, where I play shorter courses and use putters and mids. Rulemof thumb is if it hurts stop, and if you're tired rest. Over doing it leads to injury, not improvement.

Depends on course and weather - I seldom play more than three multi-round days in a row. Long open courses and lots of wind can wipe me out. Tight courses in the woods I never seem to get worn out. 45 years old and have lived through the Worlds in 2010 & 2011, Monday through Saturday played 2 or 3 rounds a day counting practice rounds. In the 6 days I probably threw 14+ rounds each week.

Playing here in the DFW Metroplex, I found that the answer is "it depends." When the summer is like the last one we had, I can play 2 rounds on 2 straight days without diminishing skills; by the third day is I really need to be careful...

In the few months when it's not summer, I can add two more days of one round each.

One thing that some people make fun of (and don't care) is that I use a cart. I was totally surprised at the difference it made in my scores. Started using one a year and a half ago. At the Funkytown on this past Sunday, I pulled my cart out of the truck and I had forgotten the snap-on wheel. I had to carry my bag. After shooting +4 and +5 earlier in the week at the same two courses with a few of the holes in the longer positions, I shot 10 and 8 Sunday with all in same or shorter positions (except 16 Coyote). It definitely affected my skills negatively, likely because I had played 7 combined rounds on 3 of the 5 preceding days.

The part I think is most negatively affected is the legs, and of course, that is where a lot of your power comes from. Plus the general effect of old-age fatigue.

I could not do it on my local courses.
They have mostly long holes (400+ feet), so rolling out long drives at my drive age for 2 rounds a day, day after day, will not work, you get too stiff, and then when you are stiff, your putting gets effected, etc.
But if I lived up at Lake Tahoe, where you play more of a control game thru the woods, it would be a lot easier to roll out 2 rounds a day, at least until the snow started to fall, that is if it ever freakin snows or rains again, we just had the second driest December in CA in recorded history.

I also play using a cart.
The other GrandMaster I compete with also uses a cart.
They make the round easier because you're rolling your bag instead of carrying it.
Some courses can be tough, but generally speaking, they're a great help.

As for the OP's question:
If I play consistently, I can easily get in 36 holes in a day before getting tired. Did that today, in fact.
If I slack off for a while (a week or two), then I'm down to 27 holes.
As long as I play fairly often, I stay in shape.
Hot weather can wear me down more quickly.
If I play a tourney, 2 rounds for 2 days, I'm tired but could play the next day.
BTW, my hole course is long, 7k ft, but fairly flat.

Last edited:
opti you're not 40+ are you?

you looked no older than mid 30's when we played

I'll answer for my dad, at 49, he's just addicted as I am. He's on60 days in a row (one off day) with 3+ rounds per day, I think he actually has more holes in the last 2 months than I do, 370 holes last week to celebrate his birthday

Martin,
U and I must be rare birds because we can play all day everyday. You played with this old timer "%!" or 51 whichever way you want to add it up on the 'puter.

When I'm on the road i've played as many different DGcourses as I can. I have always felt that DG is my make me feel good energy and the more I play the better I feel. I just wish I didn't work the shift I work on as I would be able to play more despite my age and abilities. As when you get my age... it's not about crushing the field in a tournament, but more just having fun playing with friends or playing new DGcourses and seeing the world on the cheap.

Sure I got my bumps and bruises and usually obtain more with more playing, so I would suggest...picking your spot in which your ready to play and pace yourself in the manner you'll be comfortable with. and deal with your aches and pains later that night if possible.

Where RU these days?

all you guys need to do Starting Strength. Actually everyone should do it (ladies, it doesn't make you massive like a man, you need roids to do that).

For myself (53) joint failure is more likely than exhaustion to drag me down. But most over-40 tournament players I see and compete against don't have a skill drop due to exhaustion. Most events are 4 rounds in 2 days, and they play warmup rounds and rounds the prior day and still beat me. And tournament play tends to be more grueling than casual rounds.

But the course has a big effect. Not just the length, but the terrain. Very hilly courses are much tougher on old legs than level courses.

Make sure you are taking your vitamins, and getting plenty of rest, and sleep. Also, take at least one of two days off a week from disc golf to give your body rest. Also, exercise besides disc golf is a good thing. I only play disc golf about once a week, but I walk 5 days a week, 2-3 miles a day. This helps build up and keep my stamina.

Also, loosing weight helps. That is one of the reasons I am walking so much. I don't have any courses close enough that I can play every day, so I walk to make up for it.

42, 325lbs, bad shoulders, back and knees. Hilly courses...you do the math. lol. I fell HARD in November and still have not fully recovered. Thinking of giving it up. I can barely lift my arms above my head. Started a low carb diet yesterday that looks promising. Add some walking and I should be good to go by spring. Going to incorporate more STRETCHING into my daily regime and possibly an Xbox Kinnect.

I would say it is not so much days in a row, but energy over the course of a day. I notice my back getting tired before the end of the first round and by mid 2nd round I find myself hunching over and the result is not being able to throw flat.....so everything hyzers. After a night's rest I seem to be fine to do it over again.

I am pretty much here but not as dramatic. 2 rounds in a day is pushing it especially if they are long courses. During tourneys I typically lose about 5 strokes from the first round to the second, unless the first round was a disaster. Unlike most people the hotter and more humid it is the better. My joints and tendons feel awesome in that heat. I also carry a bottle of advil and take them about midway through the first round if I know the second is coming.

one day of disc golf kicks the damn plantar fasciitis in much worse than a day of farm labor so i'll say one in answer to your question.

Latest posts