• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Rank the Molds in Your Own Bag

Well as a 52-year-old guy who can throw 350' when his knee isn't aching:

1) JB Zone - Most predictable disc in the bag. The other discs are downright perfidious compared to this disc.
2) Neutron Volt - Nothing magical about it, does what others say their Teebirds do for them (but not for me).
3) Plasma Tesla - Works great as my forehand driver and OS backhand driver when needed.

4) Z Buzzz - As everyone knows, it holds the line you put it on (for the most part)
5) Fuzion Escape - With this disc it's all about the glide, which is both a good and bad thing.
6) Big Z Thrasher - Listen, it simply works best as my long-range driver and I've tried others.

7) Resistor - I'll be honest, it's basically my OS midrange
8) Relay - Fits in my hand better than the Leopard(3) - can be squirrelly
9) E Firm Atom - Any neutral putter works, really. I just like the name, look, & feel of this one.

Last edited:
1. Jk aviar. I found out James Conrad threw these and I had to have them. I love putting them and throwing them. They cycle well as throwers. Everything after this on the list is splitting hairs, but these are the tippy top.

2. Firebird. First single disc I bought. I still have it. It's a flat top 12x champ 167 g that's extremely predictable. I had a sexton '20 as well but I lost it. Sigh.

3. Teebird. Do I need to explain? I feel like I could play with just these three discs so far on courses I'm familiar.

4. Roc. I've thrown the buzzz, roc3, comets (also good), and emac. These were the best for me. I have a champ that's super over stable, several KCs in different stages of wear, and a DX as my most under stable.

5. Pig. I like these for forehands only. I like the thumb track. It kicked the paul mcbeth zone out of the bag because it has less glide.

6. Wraith. Straighter destroyer.

7. Destroyer. More over stable wraith.

8. Leopard 3. I just don't depend on this as much but it's there.

1: Z Zone- A fairly recent addition to the bag, but already indispensable. Great for short, reliable tee shots or upshots. I reach for it a lot.

2: McPro Aviar: Your putter has to rank high. It's a disc you're going to use on almost every hole. I love the McPro Aviar. It's pretty neutral and works well for throwing and putting.

3: Champion Roc3- My "workhorse" mid. Gets thrown quite a bit on shortish holes. I also occasionally use it for upshots. Reliable and steady. You know what you're getting on every throw. Super neutral.

4: Gold Line Explorer- This is a fairly recent addition to the bag, but it has made itself right at home. I replaced a Champion Teebird with this Explorer. I feel like the Explorer glides better, fades later, and can be pushed a little further than the Teebird. Explorer is an all around great fairway driver. I find myself reaching for this disc several times a round on holes that are just too long for a mid.

5: Star Destroyer- I only carry 1 Destroyer. It's a pretty basic McBeth model. I throw the Destroyer when I want a combo of big power and accuracy. The McBeth Destroyer is overstable enough to be ripped on hard without worry of flipping. Just a solid disc that gets the job done.

6: Z Flick- A longtime resident of my bag. I throw this disc off and on. Some rounds it comes out multiple times, other rounds not at all. Very reliable for short drives in windy conditions. Also great for short, hooky sidearm shots around obstacles.

7: Champion Shryke- I've been off and on lately with the Shryke. Some rounds I throw it great, and other rounds it seems to want to flip all the time. I use it solely for wide open rips on long holes.

8: Star Corvette- Same as the Shryke. This Corvette is flippy, and I save it for wide open, long holes. High risk, high reward. When I hit this disc right its the longest thing I have in the bag. Basically the Shryke and Corvette share long distance understable duty.

9: Champion XCaliber- I don't reach for this disc often, but I love having it around. Great for windy days when long distance is needed. Reliably overstable. With a McBeth Destroyer in the bag I haven't seen a ton of use for the XCal lately.

10: Champion Firebird- Another disc I love, but don't use a ton. Super reliable in the wind. Can be thrown very hard with good results.

11: Champion Thunderbird- I used to throw this mold a lot more. The new course I've been playing doesn't really have holes that are Thunderbird distance. The Thunderbird in my bag is fairly new and untested. I just haven't used it much at all.

12: Prodigy A4: I've been fooling around with this disc in the bag for a couple months. It's a longish mid that has a really hard, dumpy late fade. I may eventually pull this disc out of the bag. It isn't a mainstay. Not quite consistent enough at high speed for my liking.

1. Eagle-X. I bag 2 of these, one Champ and one flippy Star (DGCR stamp for bonus points). So it has to be no. 1, right? They're just great workhorses that I probably don't throw enough.

2. Keystone. I also bag 2 of these, one for putting (Zero) and one for approaches (Opto-X). Maybe the 1st putter that actually makes me enjoy putting and since putting is kind of important, it ranks high.

3. Nebula. I take this mid out in cold weather because I'm afraid I'll break it because it's the perfect beat-in straight mid ever.

4. Fuse. Opto. I play in the woods mostly and a finesse mid is essential.

5. C-PD. I have 3 aces with this disc, all FH. My go-to FH disc.

6. Draco. Champ. My get out of jail free card that I sorely missed when I temporarily lost it and needed my go-to FH roller disc.

7. A2. 400. I use this instead of a Zone.

8. Saint. I have this Opto-X glimmer Saint that is weirdly straight. Just got an ace on a ~270' hole that I knew was going to be an ace run the second it left my hand b/c it just flies on frozen ropes all day.

9. Ballista. Opto. My hyzerflip max D bomber of choice.

10. Excite. Neutron. Easiest disc I've got to throw for good distance.

11. Envy. Neutron. Driving putter, BH/FH. Throw it hard, hit gap, collect birdie.

12. FX-2. This disc grew on me. Took me a while to figure out because I throw almost everything hyzer and this disc actually likes flat or slight anny releases. Very predictably straight to fade disc.

13. Stag. VIP Basically the understable FH complement to my C-PD. Great for ripping hard and flat and letting it turn over around corners.

14. Ballista Pro. Opto. My flex shot distance driver. Just OS enough to get left, decent glide.

15. Polecat. The Opto-X Keystone knocked this way down the list but the kitty still has claws for fast greens and tricky approaches.

16. Malta. Decently OS mid, has its uses.

Huia - I bag it in atomic plastic and considering to add a cosmic as well. It's my all purpose backhand/forehand driver of choice, Eagle/Teebird-ish in flight but made in better plastic. The disc is taller than those Innova molds which I find allows me to really sink my grip in deep for powerful forehands.
Kea - This is my all around overstable utility upshot disc, forehand and backhand. I carry atomic plastic.
Buzzz SS - ESP, this is well seasoned to get that elusive late flip. In the hand it's no different from my regular Buzzz, which I like just as much but don't end up using frequently at my home course.
Roach - Big Z plastic is my driving putter. It's long, glidey, and stable which is everything I want from a driving/upshot putter.
Undertaker - I carry ESP. Throw it a lot as it's my main distance/control driver at present. To be honest it's not exactly what I want, but I live in an area where discs are hard to acquire and I have two identical ones and it does the job. I'd rather have an unlimited stack of Thunderbirds.
Ruru - Bagging two in Magma medium plastic, it's my putting putter. Love the hand feel, good glide, stable, gets the job done. I use one of them for short throws less than 100 ft.
Leopard - Star plastic. Honestly, if I took out the Undertaker and threw this instead I wouldn't be sacrificing much if anything. Workable on any line, surprisingly long. Everyone loves a Leopard.
Eagle - Star Innfuse, it's a slow Firebird. I seldom use it but it's nice to have.
Buzzz - Love this disc but the seasoned SS version gets used more on my home course.

1) Classic Aviar. Love the stamp. Love the idea of using one of the classics. Such a simple disc. Need confidence to make a lot of putts. Need to like your putter to be confident.

2) Roc. I accidentally opened up my game by throwing these for everything to start a cycle.

3) Beast. I have a couple. They are typically my go to drivers. Who doesn't like pushing out a driver?

4) Judge. My more traditional approach disc and the classic blend Judge in my bag is the first disc that I bought.

5) Teebird. Got a few. Need these to score.

6) Jokeri. Fun approach shots.

7) Pure. I really like it, but I struggle a bit to find shots for it.

8) Hatchet. We haven't really hit it off.

1. Teebird

2. Roc3

3.Eagle

4.Leopard

5.Roc

6. 6-10 interchangeable mids and putter (the top five have been heavily used lately)

This is a fun little exercise.

1) Ion. I bag a beat up, very sentimental proton and a newer plasma. The plaz is my go to for pretty much everything under 250'

2) Wave. I bag a plasma and a cosmic neutron. First discs I can reliably get past 350'. Set new high bars in distance marks this summer with little effort. Big big things to come in 2021!

3) Insanity. Just lost my beloved beat proton one during my last round. Will need replacing asap. My go-to control driver. Also kind of a sentimental favorite.

4) Crave. I bag a plasma. It does what you want your teebird to do. Dead straight, little fade. Super reliable. My favorite "disc down" driver.

5) Anode. My putting putters, and another serves as my dead straight thrower until one of my ions beats In straight enough. Basically, a my straight ion.

6) Matrix. MVP mids are notoriously unloved (looking at you elmex). My proton is my go-to workhorse mid.

7) Stego. For Stego things. Some people scoff at the idea of a disc that doesn't fly. That's because they've never thrown one.

8) Axis. Again, MVP mid. Straight/US mid duties. Bagging a circuit series plasma.

9) Resistor. As someone else said about, basically used as a super OS mid. Shorter fairway driver. Will always fade.

10) Particle. I bag a soft neutron. Moderately OS throwing. Doesn't get thrown too often. Can FH this the best of my putters. Probably wouldn't really miss it if it disappeared.

11) Wrath. At one time, was the OS compliment to my insanity as a distance driver. Now, it's pretty much relegated to FH drives. Throw it some BH also, but it just doesn't see a lot of airtime.

1. Orion LF / I like light drivers. My Orion LFs handle the majority of my throws off the tee. I bag 1.3 Quantum (QOLF) and 1st run Sirius (SOF). I also bag max weight 1.5 QOLF and a couple of MOLF.

2. Omega Big Bead / pair of ET for putting, pair of AP for drives & upshots.

3. Taurus / I have a couple of Quantum 1.2., one beating in straighter, paired with a fresh one.

4. Aurora / one in Quantum 1.9, to work to the right, paired with a pretty fresh 1.8 Quantum to handle straighter lines.

5. Orion LS / not used very often, Sirius 1.2 lightweight, mainly for long sweeping right turns.

1. Orion LF / I like light drivers. My Orion LFs handle the majority of my throws off the tee. I bag 1.3 Quantum (QOLF) and 1st run Sirius (SOF). I also bag max weight 1.5 QOLF and a couple of MOLF.

2. Omega Big Bead / pair of ET for putting, pair of AP for drives & upshots.

3. Taurus / I have a couple of Quantum 1.2., one beating in straighter, paired with a fresh one.

4. Aurora / one in Quantum 1.9, to work to the right, paired with a pretty fresh 1.8 Quantum to handle straighter lines.

5. Orion LS / not used very often, Sirius 1.2 lightweight, mainly for long sweeping right turns.

Nice bag, all Millennium I dig it. How do those ET feel compared to beat in baseline plastic? I was trying to putt with the Big Bead AP but just couldn't get the finger spring I like on that pro plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice bag, all Millennium I dig it. How do those ET feel compared to beat in baseline plastic? I was trying to putt with the Big Bead AP but just couldn't get the finger spring I like on that pro plastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took a little bit, but I like the BB ET quite well now.

I fell in love with the BB AP first time I threw it, but it took me a little bit more time to appreciate the BB ET.

I only use the BB ET for circle 1 putting, they are just a little flatter (shallower) than the BB AP.

I don't like throwing the BB ET, a bit too grippy for me, I like something with a bit less texture for throwing.

I find I have considerably better accuracy in circle 1 it the BB ET.

So it turns out, neither is perfect for all my needs, but the pair together is great!

I wish they would run some BB in Quantum

1. Comet - they don't think it be like dat, but it do

2. Wizard - I heard it's good

3. Breaker - I throw a ton of forehand chip shots

4. Raptor - dependable/overstable

5. Squall - it's a driver disguised as a midrange

6. Aftershock - only because a comet somehow can't handle all shots in all conditions

7. Undertaker - it's good but probably easily replaceable

8. Hurricane - out of all the distance drivers I've tried, I hate this one the least

1. Roach - it's what really keeps my score low.
2. Stalker - I can't find another fairway driver to do what it does. Gives me a lot of confidence for BH distance.
3. Berg - I use it almost as much as my putter. Most difficult mold in my bag to replicate with another company.
4. Thunderbird - my most reliable FH mold.
5. Buzzz - we all know how great it is.
6. Meteor - carving the woods.
7. TL3 - os compliment to my Stalker.
8. Valkyrie - step up from the TL3 in distance.
9. EXP-X - a wonderful surprise of a mold from Millennium. Until we see a Banshee3, this is my go-to os fairway.
10. BuzzzOS - love this mold but I could use a Caiman if I needed to.
11. AviarX3 - love this one too but could switch back to a PA1.
12. Wraith - longest tenured mold in my bag. Been using one since 2006. I'm just not that dialed into faster molds since I'm not playing as much. I could probably find another mold to do similar things.

1. Classic aviars- dependable, straight, great for upshots, great for putting. I throw one whenever I can.

2. Rocs- I can push 300' with a Roc and it's the same every time. Why not throw it?

3. Svea- it's probably tied with rocs, but goes further, though touchier.

4. Eagles- the only fairway I use, dependable, cycles really well. Almost anything over 300' I throw one unless I need the extra distance from...

5. Falk- it just goes far for me. Very workable.

6. Firebird- nearly at the bottom? Yep. When I need it I really think it's the best OS speed 9 threes is, but I just don't need it often. I've been using Eagles more and more for OS duty, but the Firebird is still the best for OH, forehand rollers, and skips. Lately I have been playing more accurately so I don't find I need it as much.

7. Lots- good distance, more stable. Goes far enough past my Eagles to warrant the slot, but it's not an every round disc.

1) San Marino Roc, nice and slow turn-over...
2) 8x KCRoc, slow, straight to slight turn...
3) newer (well, less mature) 8x KC Roc, slow and straight...
4) KC Color Glow Roc, slow, straight with a moderate finish...
5) 2004 Champion Roc, still slow, finishes sooner...

You think I like slow discs?

Watching a slow disc is easier to see
and longer in the air=more fun!
...to me at least!

6) Fossil Gila, faster Roc, great into the wind or on a big hyzer...

7) 71*c mold, really, really slow...

8 & 9) Light Wizards <150g beat-up and newer ones, slow touch approaches...**

10 & 11) Heavy Wizards, beat and newer, slow windier approaches/drives...

12) Heavy Fossil Scale, windiest approaches (**still looking for those <150g Scales Jamie)

Honorable Mention... Stego, you know, for Stego things...

13-??) Drivers....for what ever...

• M2 - I carry two. One in 400G and one in 750. I can throw it a long way and it won't skip to far when it lands. It's the mold that fits my hand best. If I don't have any idea what to throw off the tee I can throw an M2 down range and be ok with it.
  • Shield - Tournament. Flat, overstable putter for approaches and power backhands. Feels like a Master Frisbee.
  • D2 - 400. Distance and reliable fade. I carry as many as 4 depending on the course. Doesn't dump like a Destroyer.
  • Pure - Gold Line. Long straight. Reach out and not worry about fading OB.
  • Thunderbird - Flat Champion Glow. Dependable even in high wind. Like a shorter D2. When it rains I'll switch to Pro.
  • F5 - I carry up to 4 for woods courses in 3 different plastics and stages of wear. Straight to fade, straight to drift, S, and hyzerflip. Easy to throw, gets enough distance.
  • Felon - Backhand and forehands that'll take more OAT than the Thundy(s).
  • Enemy - Sparkle. Flat Firebird in better plastic. BEEF.
  • A4 - Overstable touch approaches. Trick shots.
  • D1 - 400G = overstable forehand and backhand. 750G = Goes forever, not as HSS, will turn and run then fade.
  • D3 - 750G. Long distance bomber. I love how stiff it is and yet grippy.
  • Dimension - Wind? It doesn't matter I've got a Dimension.
  • Saint Pro - Opto. Standstill, bad footing, lighter throws that need to fade like a Thundy but lower power to hit the gap.
  • F2 - 400. Shaping shorter forehands, windy backhands. It doesn't want to rip my finger off like a TeeBird.
  • Sidewinder - Star. Rollers, long annys, hyzerflip forehands.
  • Saint - Opto. Only on hilly courses, for uphill throws.
  • X4 - 400. Hilly courses. Long woods courses. Moves less L<->R than a D series. Don't have to power it up like a D3.

1) Comet - If someone tells you its the best disc every made, believe them. I have M4s in my all Prodigy bag for the same shots
and I would rank them #1 in that bag but they are noooooooot the same. Not even close
2) Shock / FX-2 - If I cant get there with a Comet, I'm throwing one of these I have in various stages of beat-inness
3) PA-3 - I've tried so many putters but I keep coming back to them. 400 for drives. 300 for banging chains
4) Zone / A2 or A3 - bh & fh approaches & headwind drives up to 300
5) Trace - on good days my arm & form can do great things with this. On bad days I want to just leave it in the woods or whereever it landed off the fairway.
6) 200 Pa-4 / Yikun Claws - working on adding a touch approach disc to the bag a la the way Garret Gurthie works a Sonic.

1. banger - if it can be reached with a banger, I'm throwing a banger

2. yeti aviar - best putting putter for my money

3. teebird - you know exactly where its going

4. rocs- predictable and shapeable

5. destroyers - so many uses

6. leopards - faster roc

7. zone - when you need it, its the only thing that will work

8. roadrunner - only carry one it does some amazing things, just not used that often

9. firebirds- still working on getting one straighter but they do what they do.

1. EMac Truths - b/c it's great. If idk what to throw, I'll likely just grab one of the truths.

2. Judge - been putting with them for years, but recently discovered how awesome they are for throwers, too.

3. Undertakers - great, comfortable mold, with a range of stabilities between FRZ and lightweight BigZ. Longer truth.

4. Wraith - so awesome for FH and BH. Nice flip up to fade, nice hand feel, Halo adds a nice OS bookend.

5. Felon - great OS Fairway, couple in different stabilities, so comfortable FH.

6. Verdict - keep one LX for OS truth, nice for BH and FH, alike.

7. Sting - honestly not really sold yet, but it serves the purpose I want it to, US tweener.

With roughly 30yrs of being in disc golf the molds that keep finding there way back into my bag are:

1: Gateway Wizard... Best base plastic on the market. The flight plate gradually gets thicker toward the rim and that makes these amazing for putting or throwing. Only knock is the inconsistency of the plastic and the marketing.
2: Discraft Buzzz.... Even though the shoulder has seemed to get higher on the more recent runs, this disc is still a perfect stability midrange. Its fast and holds just about any angle you throw it on.
3: Discraft Force.... This disc is hard to replace. The rim feel is nice and chunky. This disc is pretty OS for backhand but damn does it shine with a forehand. So comfortable and dependable. NOT nose angle sensitive.

Honerable mention.

MVP Volt: Iam still willing to say it is the straightest flying fairway on the market. The combination of the gyro with the flat flight plate make this thing a lazer. It can handle a ton of power and is amazing forehand as well. This is a buzzz style fairway. Just point and shoot.

The Force,Volt,Buzzz, and Wizard are a great foundation for building a bag. Especially if you have a good forehand. All these discs will hold all the power you can give them for a advanced to pro level player.