• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Reach back era is over, long live the whip.

86yDo70.png

Yeah, you have never thrown tomahawks. That's obvious.

Yeah, you have never thrown tomahawks. That's obvious.

I hope you admit this is, literally, the exact same argument you refuse to accept with hips. Edit: especially if I were to claim that I feel the wrist snap when I throw tomahawks, and it's the key That unlocks proper axe throwing. And add that I can now throw them further than I used to, which proves my point.

And then I'd show you videos of axe throwers who use their wrist snap, and you'd show me videos that seem to contradict. Wouldn't that be fun.

Last edited:
If throwing a tomahawk is so very similar to throwing discs I should have been a natural disc golfer with so much experience throwing the tomahawk. Instead, I injured my right arm due to overuse learning to throw the disc because I was trying to strong arm the disc. You strong arm the throwing tomahawk to get proper technique. Hmmm...maybe that's why I could never throw a disc right handed...

If throwing a tomahawk is so very similar to throwing discs I should have been a natural disc golfer with so much experience throwing the tomahawk. Instead, I injured my right arm due to overuse learning to throw the disc because I was trying to strong arm the disc. You strong arm the throwing tomahawk to get proper technique. Hmmm...maybe that's why I could never throw a disc right handed...
Why do you want to purposely argue against everything? You can have your own opinion, but it just seems like your trying to cause conflict.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Why do you want to purposely argue against everything? You can have your own opinion, but it just seems like your trying to cause conflict.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It's that tomahawk throwing is something I really do know about and I can tell you, there are really no similarities with the two other than you throw something. I don't argue against everything, just the things that don't really apply or will teach you the wrong thing.

I hope you admit this is, literally, the exact same argument you refuse to accept with hips. Edit: especially if I were to claim that I feel the wrist snap when I throw tomahawks, and it's the key That unlocks proper axe throwing. And add that I can now throw them further than I used to, which proves my point.

And then I'd show you videos of axe throwers who use their wrist snap, and you'd show me videos that seem to contradict. Wouldn't that be fun.

Black.

It's that tomahawk throwing is something I really do know about and I can tell you, there are really no similarities with the two other than you throw something. I don't argue against everything, just the things that don't really apply or will teach you the wrong thing.

Let's recap:

A post was made describing an un-intuitive method of throwing a ball meant as a kind of drill to describe the feel of an aspect of the backhand disc swing. Video clarification of this was requested and provided, one instance of which was a backhand hatchet toss. The video being of a hatchet, rather than a ball, hammer, rubber chicken, squeaking clown-nose, NON-squeaking clown nose, etc...is immaterial. The entire exchange was an attempt to communicate analogous concepts.

Then, you post a video of throwing a hatchet in a manner that was not being discussed to begin with, because you latched on to the immaterial aspect of there being a hatchet in the video. You then evoke your decades of hatchet throwing experience to proclaim hatchet throwing as categorically separate from disc throwing.

(This has then caused some minor debate because it is not as black and white as you would like to make it. A lot of people here find it very beneficial to apply underlying concepts to wildly different activities, and I am absolutely certain that hatchet throwing can be discussed fruitfully in this nuanced way, even applied to the disc swing.)

That doesn't seem at all like your motivation though, so what is it? Who were you trying to help with that injection into the discussion? Do you understand that sidewinder's video was a response to an actual question, and was an honest attempt to BUILD bridges in people's minds? Do you seriously not understand how this pattern of communication get the results it does?

Imagine this: I go into a thread discussing how a forward towel snap is analogous to hitting the disc. A TOWEL?! I sneer condescendingly and begin typing:

"I have been using a towel to dry my balls for over 35 years, it has absolutely nothing to do with feeling how to hit a disc!"

Sounds ridiculous eh? Well...

No, no, y'all are doing it wrong. It goes more like this:

"How far do you throw tomahawks? Can you throw them 500 feet? I think it is ridiculous for someone to criticize the throwing form of someone who throws farther.

I started throwing tomahawks three months ago and can throw them over 300 feet easily with a simple flick of the wrist so I must know how to throw them correctly.

Look at this video. See how the hand moves? That proves that the wrist moves. The Flick of the Wrist. Video don't lie.

Those pro tomahawk throwers that say they keep a stiff wrist are wrong. They say they do one thing but really they do something else."

Then start your own thread titled "The Flick of the Wrist."

No, no, y'all are doing it wrong. It goes more like this:

"How far do you throw tomahawks? Can you throw them 500 feet? I think it is ridiculous for someone to criticize the throwing form of someone who throws farther.

I started throwing tomahawks three months ago and can throw them over 300 feet easily with a simple flick of the wrist so I must know how to throw them correctly.

Look at this video. See how the hand moves? That proves that the wrist moves. The Flick of the Wrist. Video don't lie.

Those pro tomahawk throwers that say they keep a stiff wrist are wrong. They say they do one thing but really they do something else."

Then start your own thread titled "The TWITCH of the Wrist."

FTFY

I recently played with a golfer that moved here. All of his shots, even his putts, go straight for a short distance and then fades hard. Even his putts.
Our 3rd round together was just him and I so we talked more and he explained the proper way to throw was with a locked wrist. (he's wrong). When he said that I understood why all of his shots look exactly the same.

I don't understand how it works since this much younger guy who has been playing for 10 years, has all the gear and high speed, premium plastic can't throw half of my distance.

My point is I am not able to understand how to throw anything with a locked/stiff wrist.

My short resume is I've been throwing for 50 years. Started at 12 tossing Frisbees.

Let's recap:

A post was made describing an un-intuitive method of throwing a ball meant as a kind of drill to describe the feel of an aspect of the backhand disc swing. Video clarification of this was requested and provided, one instance of which was a backhand hatchet toss. The video being of a hatchet, rather than a ball, hammer, rubber chicken, squeaking clown-nose, NON-squeaking clown nose, etc...is immaterial. The entire exchange was an attempt to communicate analogous concepts.

Then, you post a video of throwing a hatchet in a manner that was not being discussed to begin with, because you latched on to the immaterial aspect of there being a hatchet in the video. You then evoke your decades of hatchet throwing experience to proclaim hatchet throwing as categorically separate from disc throwing.

(This has then caused some minor debate because it is not as black and white as you would like to make it. A lot of people here find it very beneficial to apply underlying concepts to wildly different activities, and I am absolutely certain that hatchet throwing can be discussed fruitfully in this nuanced way, even applied to the disc swing.)

That doesn't seem at all like your motivation though, so what is it? Who were you trying to help with that injection into the discussion? Do you understand that sidewinder's video was a response to an actual question, and was an honest attempt to BUILD bridges in people's minds? Do you seriously not understand how this pattern of communication get the results it does?

Imagine this: I go into a thread discussing how a forward towel snap is analogous to hitting the disc. A TOWEL?! I sneer condescendingly and begin typing:

"I have been using a towel to dry my balls for over 35 years, it has absolutely nothing to do with feeling how to hit a disc!"

Sounds ridiculous eh? Well...
The hatchet throwing GIF was made analogous to throwing a disc backhand. I have experience throwing tomahawks, even from the side just like the GIF and I can tell you factually that it is a completely different feel- they arent the same at all. Just because a praying mantis looks like the twig of a tree doesn't make it a tree.

You just can't apply the mechanics of one thing to another and hope to get good results- you don't throw a disc like you do a tomahawk and you don't throw a tomahawk like you do a disc.

The hatchet throwing GIF was made analogous to throwing a disc backhand. I have experience throwing tomahawks, even from the side just like the GIF and I can tell you factually that it is a completely different feel- they arent the same at all. Just because a praying mantis looks like the twig of a tree doesn't make it a tree.

You just can't apply the mechanics of one thing to another and hope to get good results- you don't throw a disc like you do a tomahawk and you don't throw a tomahawk like you do a disc.

No, there is more nuance to what was being discussed. The back-hand hatchet throw was a demonstration of a further nested analogy of throwing a ball in a strange way.

Using the word "don't" instead of "can't" is a telling sign of why we are disagreeing on this. The ball throwing idea isn't how anyone sane throws a ball. Any of us could have said "Now wait a minute, in my years I have thrown balls a whole lot and you DON'T throw it backhand with the palm facing out."

Do you seriously lack the capacity for non-literal human communication?

...you don't throw a disc like you do a tomahawk and you don't throw a tomahawk like you do a disc.

Which of these custom titles would you prefer going forward: Captain Oblivious or King of the Trolls?

Let's recap: "I have been using a towel to dry my balls for over 35 years..."

I don't believe you. Maybe if you posted a video...

No, there is more nuance to what was being discussed. The back-hand hatchet throw was a demonstration of a further nested analogy of throwing a ball in a strange way.

Using the word "don't" instead of "can't" is a telling sign of why we are disagreeing on this. The ball throwing idea isn't how anyone sane throws a ball. Any of us could have said "Now wait a minute, in my years I have thrown balls a whole lot and you DON'T throw it backhand with the palm facing out."

Do you seriously lack the capacity for non-literal human communication?

Humm..tbrowing things in strange ways. Is that what this forum is relegated to now- throwing things in strange ways besides how one would actually want to learn to throw proper?

Humm..tbrowing things in strange ways. Is that what this forum is relegated to now- throwing things in strange ways besides how one would actually want to learn to throw proper?

Um. Yes, I believe it is more helpful for the goals of most here to discuss movement concepts that might not be 1:1 related to throwing a disc, than it is for them to understand how to correctly throw a hatchet in a hatchet throwing competition.

I concede that I cannot win a hatchet throwing contest, but I contend that I can use a hatchet to play with concepts that are relevant to throwing a disc.

Um. Yes, I believe it is more helpful for the goals of most here to discuss movement concepts that might not be 1:1 related to throwing a disc, than it is for them to understand how to correctly throw a hatchet in a hatchet throwing competition.

I concede that I cannot win a hatchet throwing contest, but I contend that I can use a hatchet to play with concepts that are relevant to throwing a disc.

Very true. I will agree with you.

Put a ball in your hand. Rotate your forearm so that the palm is facing out, thumb down. Throw the ball using your backhand disc motion. Try whipping it from the pocket (back of hand at the chest). Try again to throw from reach back with shoulder rotated away from the target, through the pocket.

palm facing "out"??

thumb down?

:wall: