• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

ReptilianDiscGolf.com is now LIVE with Prototype Scales in a variety of plastics.

Use PROMO CODE: DGCR to receive FREE shipping on order over $25.00

I'd love to see some orders come through from some DGCR folks :)
Thank you as always for the support guys!

Proto scale

I just threw my eraser Scale today and might I say I flew like a dream! Very predictable flight path every time. Regardless of how much power I put into my throw she always curved left. I will definitely be using her every time I'm on the courses now. I really dig it!

How's the scale compare to the chief for driving and approaches? Which is more beefy? Which one can I count on to always fade?

How's the scale compare to the chief for driving and approaches? Which is more beefy? Which one can I count on to always fade?

The Scale hands down. The new Chief retool is more reliable than the predecessor but the Scale is the all around more "reliable" mold. Less glide, speed and turn potential than the Chief as well. I'd say the Scale is about as good as it gets for an OS putter that doesn't beef like a Zone. Instead, it fades relatively hard but is also capable of going straight for a good distance before the fade kicks in. The chief is rock solid....but I'd urge you to give the Scale a try. Especially!!!!!! In Fossil plastic.

Haven't thrown the retooled Chief yet, but it was fairly easy to turnover. It was a driving putter at hard but easy to finesse like a standard putter.

There is no finesse in the scale. It's a Firebird where the Chief is an Eagle. Not a perfect comparison, but not entirely dissimilar either. For instance, when forehanding the Chief, I n had to add a bit of hyzer to get that later beam straight with fade flight. The Scale doesn't need that. You can rip it flat forehanded and it will go straight with fade.

In addition, as jcassidy stated, the Scale has very, very little glide. The Chief wasn't a brick. It was easy to get distance on low lines. Distance with the Scale requires height and a hit of anny flex.

I played in a putter only challenge the other day with an RFF Scale as my chosen weapon.
Other players on my card used a Chief, Wizard & Shaman.

I'll sum it up by saying that everyone agreed in unison that "The Scale is a cheater disc!"

During the round the winds were kicking up pretty hard & nearly every shot was a dumped turn over for the other players. The Scale on the other hand, even on some extremely OAT-y shots, pulled out and finished left. I have never been so confident in the wind with a PnA disc (sans the Zone) then with the Scale.

Even as the RFF plastic warped, taco'd and bent from impact, it retained it's stability beautifully. I was throwing it on massive panning annys that finished just left, tight spike hyzers & putting effectively in the circle.
I believe that the Scale is one of those molds that is has the perfect inherent stability. While Wizards & KC Aviars lose LSS quickly but retain their HSS, the Scale retains ALL HSS and will retain it's LSS for a long duration while still developing that "seasoned putter" flight.

I'm becoming supremely confident that the Scale is a disc that can have mainstream success once it gets into the right hands. Our plastic blends are unique from even Gateway's baseline, the mold shape is sound & they're beating in precisely how we had hoped!

We have Scales live on reptiliandiscgolf.com or you can PM me and we can discuss :)
Thanks for the support DGCR. I hope 2015 is the year of the Scale!

I've been searching for the right word to describe the Scale. Stable. Predictable. Money. But I think the word that best describes the Scale for me is actually two words; Missing Link.

I always struggled to find that Stable P&A. I went from Rhyno to Pig to Zone back to Pig to Rhyno. I preferred Pro plastic because of the feel/grip, the glide, and that I wouldn't get these crazy skips that Premium plastics give me. Also, the premium Rhynos have a sharp flashing underneath that always tore up my hand on fan grip shots. Eventually I found a P2, and played with that all Summer. It was good enough, but really deep profile for my hands, which led to some poor releases. Then comes the Scale...

I've spent some field time with this great disc. Particularly, the Fossil version (scaled at a beefy 177gr) and a Fossil blend (an "incidental" blend of Fossil and Gateway material, scaled at 174.9). If you haven't felt a Fossil plastic yet, GET ONE!!! Think KC Pro stiffness, with a velvety feel, which gives it a grip you cannot get from modern KC Pro plastic. The Fossil blend is also great, semi-stiff with even more velvety, grippy goodness. RDG has given the Scale a flight number rating of 3,1,0,3. I think this is a perfect example of what you can expect from the Scale. Innova has the Rhyno at 2,1,0,3 and the Pig at 3,1,0,3. I just found that out. Which makes sense because after my initial throw, I thought Pig. The pure Fossil seemed a tick more stable than the Fossil blend, for what it's worth. You can expect a flat flight right off the bat, with a clean release thanks to the Scale having a low profile. When it begins to slow, the disc will begin to fade. Hard. In that sense, the Scale is as predictable and stable as they come.

A disc that you know will go straight and finish left? Yup! And for me, that was the missing link to my bag! Thank you, Jamie and Matt! I am very impressed. So much, that the Scale is the first non-Innova or Discmania disc to go in the bag in over a year!

Pulled my Fossil Scale out of the mailbox this morning. The weather is pretty darned cold here, so I could only chuck it around the yard a bit to get some first impressions, but so far so good!

The Fossil plastic has a fantastic feel. Temps were in the teens today and my hands were freezing but grip was not an issue. I'm a huge KC pro guy, and this Fossil plastic is as good if not better feeling then any KCP I've felt. I'm very interested to see how it breaks in. I am slightly concerned about durability. My basket is pretty tough on putters, and I put a couple of decent dents in the scale. My basket can tear up just about anything, but I was surprised how fast it did it to the scale. Hopefully it breaks in nice and slow, but only time will tell.

Some discs just feel beefy in your hand, and the Scale is one of them. It was like I could feel just how much mass was in the outer rim just holding it. Very cool.

I haven't used a thumtrack putter in ages, but the Scale's is subtle enough that I didn't even really notice it. I was a little concerned before I got one that it would be an issue, but it isn't. If anything I thought it gave me a little cleaner, more powerful release when thrown hard.

I don't think this will be my inside the circle putter. Not enough glide and too much fade had me banging the weak side front rim over and over again. No big deal to me, I wasn't planning on using it for that anyway.

Where the scale really blew me away was on jump putts from 40-60 feet. I was consistently making them or hitting metal. I probably threw 15-20 of these putts with the scale today and hit metal every single time, made about 50% of them. My practice basket is a home made variation of the gateway bullseye, so 50% from long range is a fantastic number. All I had to do was lob the disc just above the basket on the right side, and the scale would take care of the rest, crashing home with authority. The overstability of the disc should mean that misses stay closer to the basket. This was not what I intended to use the scale for, but it will definitely be getting a nice long tryout in that slot. Very surprised by this, but happy for sure.

I had some trouble ranging in my upshots. I didn't throw a ton of them today, so I'm sure it'll get better with practice, but I was blowing by the basket today. Seems to me that the Scale has a sneaky good speed and glide, and while I was expecting it to be brick-like on powered down upshots but it wanted to sail. I have no complaints at all about this, but it was very surprising.

The Scale really shines when thrown hard. Pretty much neutral high speed flight with a strong healthy fade without being dumpy. This is exactly how I like my stable to overstable discs to fly. I don't like glideless bricks that just want to fall out of the sky to the left. I like my discs to have some glide to them, but with a fade I can always count on. The Scale fits that bit perfectly.

So far so good by me! Can't wait for the temps to come up a little so I can actually put the Scale through its paces, but I'm expecting great results. It really is an accomplishment to make me bag a new mold. I don't just try new discs on a lark, I am extremely set in my ways and most of the molds I throw have been that way for close to a decade now. Great job guys! More fossil plastic!!!!

Played a round with our premium plastic Protos (Armor plastic) and boy do they have some low speed fade! I was really pleased that the premium version of the Scale offers up even more beef. Now that my putting scale has seems good amount of use, it has lost some LSS and it's now a lot more manuverable on various Angles.

Needless to say I cannot wait to get a full run of Armor Scales for you all to check out!

wow i got a chance to toss my Fossil Scale this weekend and Reptilian has a winner here! As soon as it hits your hand you know she is gonna have some beef! I love the subtle thumbtrack as well.. Its like the Banger-GT and Rhyno had a baby.. well feel wise :) .. I havent tried it for putting but i used it for the majority of my upshots and talk about predictable!! You can really put some ass into this thing and it showed no signs of turn just a nice hard straight flight with a solid predictable fade at the end of its flight! The Fossil plastic reminds me of what kc pro plastic used to be..very nice grip, stiff but still some give in the flight plate.. cant ask for much more there! I still want to spend some more time with her before a true review but after a few rounds i can tell the Scale has staying power for many moons to come.. if you are a fan of the Rhyno,Pig,etc. its well worth your time to give this guy a look.. or if you just want to test a well made overstable put/approach disc the Scale is for you!

Just got one and I haven't had a chance to throw this outside my basement basket but: fossil is the nicest plastic I've ever felt. Period. Velvety, firm and tacky all at the same time. And the shape feels like a great beefy partner to a Wiz -- so similar in the hand. I sure wish they had Wizards in this plastic. I am dying to throw this disc outside.

Got my Tar Pit Scale yesterday, along with an RFF Serpent. Probably not going to throw them for a little while, but they definitely look and feel great. Love the feel of the Tar Pit plastic, we'll see how it putts. It's a significantly softer and grippier feel than the fossil plastic.

I will definitely be bagging some combination of Serpent/Scale/Wizard for 2015.

Just got one and I haven't had a chance to throw this outside my basement basket but: fossil is the nicest plastic I've ever felt. Period. Velvety, firm and tacky all at the same time. And the shape feels like a great beefy partner to a Wiz -- so similar in the hand. I sure wish they had Wizards in this plastic. I am dying to throw this disc outside.

Waits until it seasons in......
The surface complexion gets super velvety while remaining a firm disc. It's very much like the old KC we are trying to replicate.

Got my Tar Pit Scale yesterday, along with an RFF Serpent. Probably not going to throw them for a little while, but they definitely look and feel great. Love the feel of the Tar Pit plastic, we'll see how it putts. It's a significantly softer and grippier feel than the fossil plastic.

I will definitely be bagging some combination of Serpent/Scale/Wizard for 2015.

I'm waiting for the same package to be delivered and I can't wait to try them out. I love rhyno's but have always wanted something a tad beefier that wouldn't need cycled as quickly.

Latest posts