• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

retiring ace discs

I can respect retiring a disc. I don't though. Hanging it on a wall is similar to caging a wild animal. I have to let the disc get out and fly. That's what it was made to do.

i like that ... but most of the discs i have aced with, i have a good backup/ replacement for. if i have a disc that is killing it for me, i will get another one and season it, if you will, until the the time i ace with the worn in one, then its on with the new and on the wall for the trophy.

I don't know. I haven't gotten an ace yet, but I think I would retire it if I got one no matter what disc it was. I think I would only do that for my first one though.

I throw it until I have a replacement in the bag for it, then I retire it.

I throw it until I have a replacement in the bag for it, then I retire it.

Exactly, I'll keep mine in the bag until I get a replacement. I won't play it on a risky hole though. It's a reason to get some new plastic! :D ...of course I've only had one ace so far.

Just realized, I need to make an adjustment in my sig.

I always consider retiring the ace discs but can't bear to stop throwing them altogether. I have lost one ace disc and one double ace disc though, and in particular with the double ace Buzzz it was pretty distressing. I even have a double ace Orc in my bag, when I have 7 champ Orc backups. I just love throwing them too much.

Last edited:
does anyone else retire their ace discs? i do, and the reason why is. its kind of like a trophy. i aced a hole at my local course(kilborne). the very next day i went to hornets nest and threw it in the water. it was my goto backhand disc at the time. i felt horrible.... i ended up getting it back, and since then i will retire a ace disc to my "man room" wall. whats everyone's opinion? i have friends who give me **** for it, cause they say the disc was worn in just right.

I still have my only ace disc in the bag (Champion Coyote). Its inked with "Ace #1 6/2/09". I guess now that I think about it I should retire it because I have another Champ Coyote that I got for free down at USDGC last year.

You cant retire a disc if its a "thumber ace" though.... That's just plain cheating.;)

I still have my only ace disc in the bag (Champion Coyote). Its inked with "Ace #1 6/2/09". I guess now that I think about it I should retire it because I have another Champ Coyote that I got for free down at USDGC last year.

You cant retire a disc if its a "thumber ace" though.... That's just plain cheating.;)

Is tommy cool then?

My friend played with a guy that got an ace with a disc he had just received, and he proceeded to retire it. It was the guys first round even using it, that seems crazy to me.

I got an ace on my first ever throw with a champion Orc. I kept it in m bag and a couple months later got another with it. It was worth keeping around.

I bought and old champ beast from a disc shop, the owner said I could try it for a round and return it if I didn't like it. I got one of my coolest aces ever with it, went back to the shop and told him I was keeping it :)

My friend played with a guy that got an ace with a disc he had just received, and he proceeded to retire it. It was the guys first round even using it, that seems crazy to me.

one of mine is a similar story, there was a group of about 12 of us playing a couple months back and we were just all bs'ing before flipping for doubles....ont guy mentioned that he was looking for a spider and well i just happened to have a brand new Champion Spider in my trunk(that thing never made my bag) so i let him try it out for the round,and he let me dig through his bag and let me trade it for a beat in 169 star destroyer...so we play and not once did i ever throw the destroyer during that round..after we were done waiting to play the next round, i decided to throw it at hole one....first throw=ace..skipped it right in....and here is the funny part....
next day same thing..we finished our round and i tell my buddy, im gonna make a run a hole 1 again....only 2nd time to throw the Destroyer=Ace
needless to say its retired along with my 2 other Ace discs

top left-r 169 Star Destroyer-aces 3&4, trophy disc from very first tournament, another disc i received from winning the tourney,
171 DX Cobra-first ace...161 Star SL- 2nd ace

Attachments

• ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 17
16 Hangin. I decided to retire my ace discs the day I got my first ace. I got my first one on Hole 7 at Sylmar (old course)... Later that same round I stuck the disc up in a pine tree some 60'. It took a half hour of chucking rocks to get it down. Decided then and there to retire the thing. Ever since... all the rest have been retired.
DSCJNKY

I'm of the same mindset as you hogleggbob. I've only had two aces and I retired both discs. Being that aces don't come easily for me, the discs are reminders of the exciting moment of hearing chains ring from the tee pad. They are definitely like personal achievement trophies.

The only ace disc I retired is my first one, an 11x Champ Teebird, and I wasn't going to retire it at first. But Climo was in town, so I asked him to sign it for me and that's when it got hung up.

chopz, u a good cheerleader too?

The only ace disc I retired is my first one, an 11x Champ Teebird, and I wasn't going to retire it at first. But Climo was in town, so I asked him to sign it for me and that's when it got hung up.

Now that's icing on the cake! To have Climo sign your 11x Champ Teebird ace disc. :clap:

I bought a used ESP Cyclone from a guy on DGR that he got an ace or two with. I really like the disc, so I think I'm going to remove that ink. Feels weird to contemplate doing that, but there's a lot of it and it has nothing to do with me.