RHBH 300 Ft Max

I had some extremely inconsistent max distance drives yesterday. I filmed all the throws with the same disc to see what is different mechanically.

A couple went 450+

Maybe half of them, like this one, didn't reach 400'

A major difference in the 2 seems to be upper body timing:

Attachments

• Short throw early backswing.PNG
    Short throw early backswing.PNG
    325.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Longer throw less-early backswing.PNG
    Longer throw less-early backswing.PNG
    351.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Short throw plant earlier shoulders.PNG
    Short throw plant earlier shoulders.PNG
    422.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Longer throw plant shoulders back more.PNG
    Longer throw plant shoulders back more.PNG
    446.4 KB · Views: 0
Just quickly gonna comment with:

460 is a smash buddy! Release looked way better than the previous one I commented on.

I'm pretty sure you got 500+ in the tank if you keep on grinding.

Just quickly gonna comment with:

460 is a smash buddy! Release looked way better than the previous one I commented on.

I'm pretty sure you got 500+ in the tank if you keep on grinding.
Positivity on the internet!?! I love it.
Thanks, Kennets :D

My pleasure!

I've recently begun to think about coiling in to the rear hip and how to time that into the swing. (Shifting from behind?) Almost like you fall/drop backwards into the plant, at least that's how it feels.

Could tell from the first video, that you do that really well! Any pointers?

It was my focus today, along with not muscling the throw too much and im nearly back to my old distance pre injury.

I'm not sure I'm very good at it yet, but I know it improved a lot for me when I learned how to balance on my left toe instead of full foot.

The main difference between your 400' shots is the reachback/backswing length, you turn your shoulders much further back via throwing your left arm/elbow behind you on the longer throw. IMO this is not necessarily healthy for the body as your left elbow gets way behind your back/posterior of your body, so while you are able to throw further, its a compensation for lack of proper posture/balance/movement.

Your rear foot is turned too far backward and spins out late pushing your upper body over top, instead of rear foot everting and moving underneath("The Move"). Your frontside can't resist your late push enough and front foot rolls over early leaking knee forward.

Why practice swings matter? Because it really shows the difference in your intention and the smaller fundamental motion.

dwhitt vs eagle eversion.png
Your foot/feet need to evert/roll/bank inward shifting back and forth, so the knee/s move/swivel ahead underneath to catch the hips/shoulders/spine/head.

attachment.php

Your rear foot is turned too far backward and spins out late pushing your upper body over top, instead of rear foot everting and moving underneath("The Move"). Your frontside can't resist your late push enough and front foot rolls over early leaking knee forward.
So fixing the rear foot move will fix the frontside resistance issue?
I have tried this a lot throughout this thread, and I still don't do it. Is there any other resource link me that has helped students with this stubborn problem?

Hard to make fundamental changes doing an x-step.

Work from standstill/drills.

I tried to turn my back foot more parallel and drive with it more like ride the bull while throwing in the hershyzer position.
This is after doing a lot of standstills.

This one is a little less exaggerated:

Last edited:
It seems like the issue with that form is that my lead hip should angle down to inherit the weight and it makes me lean away from the target a lot.

I'd work on Door Frame/Bow Arrow Drills. You are really far back when you plant toes and then pushing late thru/over the brace, instead of into/behind brace. Note how CD drives his center forward earlier and is able to brace up better.
Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 2.28.41 PM.png

I saw a couple of form videos that seem to suggest I am rotating my hips too far back instead of somewhat offsetting my upper body.
Is that what you're telling me here, @sidewinder22? In the door frame and load the bow I should focus on driving targetward with the lower body and letting the upper body turn away?
Let me know if I'm following you at all.

WB bud.

1. You are stepping onto your X-step and then get taller on it rather than already being taller & shifting, drifting and dropping into the plant. Tamm is a good example of someone who gets taller as he moves into the X-step, but as it is taking weight he is already drifting forward into the drop.

Watch closely for it:

2. Balance correction: I think you are tipping over off the rear foot (red arrow). Blue is likely where your balance vs. Tamm's is (ish). You are more power-stanced, Tamm is athletic stance.

1713207920361.png
1713207761278.png

Attachments

• 1713207715338.png
    1713207715338.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 1713207725057.png
    1713207725057.png
    390.3 KB · Views: 0
WB bud.

1. You are stepping onto your X-step and then get taller on it rather than already being taller & shifting, drifting and dropping into the plant. Tamm is a good example of someone who gets taller as he moves into the X-step, but as it is taking weight he is already drifting forward into the drop.

Watch closely for it:

2. Balance correction: I think you are tipping over off the rear foot (red arrow). Blue is likely where your balance vs. Tamm's is (ish). You are more power-stanced, Tamm is athletic stance.

View attachment 337816
View attachment 337815

Ok, I think I can correct 2 without too much trouble. I'll try tomorrow.
I do not know what to change for point 1.

I would probably start with 2. If you aren't very used to the balance coming off the rear side, it's a heck of a lot harder when you're trying to come in with momentum of any kind. Pratt, double dragon, Hershyzer, but done well...

For 1, I think you can either (1) start in a tall stance and when your balance is better, you will feel like you can "ride down a ramp" of momentum off the X step. Or (2) start lower, then get higher into the X step but you need to be in a posture that keeps your mass flowing forward (and down as you stride thru the X).

Almost everyone we've ever seen here has trouble with 1 if they don't master 2 first since the body doesn't really learn the momentum "trick"...

You really need to work on your posture - Anterior Pelvic Tilt.

I would probably start with 2. If you aren't very used to the balance coming off the rear side, it's a heck of a lot harder when you're trying to come in with momentum of any kind. Pratt, double dragon, Hershyzer, but done well...

For 1, I think you can either (1) start in a tall stance and when your balance is better, you will feel like you can "ride down a ramp" of momentum off the X step. Or (2) start lower, then get higher into the X step but you need to be in a posture that keeps your mass flowing forward (and down as you stride thru the X).

Almost everyone we've ever seen here has trouble with 1 if they don't master 2 first since the body doesn't really learn the momentum "trick"...
My weight is more centered today. It looks over the top instead:
View attachment 20240416_151721_1.mp4
View attachment 20240416_151721.mp4

You really need to work on your posture - Anterior Pelvic Tilt.

I can't hip hinge or brace if I don't stick my butt out. My throw is completely spinny. I tried to do it for months, and it ruined my timing, power, and accuracy.
And I can, in fact, flex my abs tightly when I'm in this posture, so perhaps it's body specific.

Your throw is tipping over instead of shifting underneath. This will likely require a change to your grip and swing plane so I would expect things to be wild for a while. Rome wasn't built in a day.