• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Road Trip Pit Stop Suggestions (Rte 79/19/77)

Timeetyo

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'll be making a road trip this July down to the Charleston area and am looking for some recommendations for courses to hit along the route. Keep in mind I have some unique considerations. I am not looking for the best courses to play along that route - I am looking for courses that will fit my rather unique needs as I'll have my family with me. Just looking to stretch the legs a bit, knock off a state played, and break up the drive. My wife has agreed that it'd be ok to make a quick stop once each way to break up the drive. She will join (mostly for the walk) and my son (9) plays as well.

The considerations:
- Very close to my route. Rte 79 (PA/WV); Rte 19 (WV); Rt 77 (WV/VA/NC). The closer to an exit the better.
- Either 9 holes or a 9 hole loop as I don't want to take too much time.
- Dogs allowed (my dog is well trained and plays with me regularly).
- Short (ish), Flat (ish) and relatively quick. I checked a few of the highly rated courses along the way and ran into a lot that looked beautiful - but are long with lots of elevation. Definitely a good DG experience - but not what I want for this trip.
- Won't be packed - but shouldn't be an issue as it'll be mid day Weds (7/2 & 7/9)

Perfect world for this would be a short, simple, beginner friendly flat open park course 1 mile off the exit. These are definitely not easy to search for though as this isn't typically going to be a well rated course here.

I definitely have permission to hit one on the way down and if all goes well I'll still have permission to knock off another state on the trip back up. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best bet in S.C. may be Edisto Gardens in Orangeburg, though it's towards the end of your journey. It's flat as can be, and a pretty park. It has 3 9-hole loops, so you can only play 1 or 2; the Cypress 9 is pretty short, in an area with tall trees and grass, but no underbrush.

I don't know about dogs, but suspect they're OK. Without looking it up, I'd guess it's 10 miles off I-26.

Earlewood in Columbia meets your criteria, except that it's very hilly. It also has 2 9-hole loops, so you can only play half the course if you wish.

Thanks for the recommendations. Probably not going to hit those in SC that fit the criteria as it is so close to the end of the trip. I'll also be staying on Johns Island for a week and plan to hit quite a few Charleston area courses while I'm there. Trophy Lakes is definitely on the list for the week as its only ~2 miles away.

Charleston WV, or SC? There are some amazing courses on your route, but they all pretty much have crazy elevation and don't have a 9 hole loop. The flattest course on that route is probably Schenley in Pitt and right off the highway, it doesn't have a 9 hole loop, although you can go from 1-7, then to 17, and then 18 for a loop. Seth Burton in Fairmont is less the a mile off the highway, it has a fair amount of elevation, but you could play the front 9 and have the wife drive around to pick you up.

Charleston WV, or SC? There are some amazing courses on your route, but they all pretty much have crazy elevation and don't have a 9 hole loop. The flattest course on that route is probably Schenley in Pitt and right off the highway, it doesn't have a 9 hole loop, although you can go from 1-7, then to 17, and then 18 for a loop. Seth Burton in Fairmont is less the a mile off the highway, it has a fair amount of elevation, but you could play the front 9 and have the wife drive around to pick you up.

Charleston SC is the end destination.

Thanks for the recommendations. Yeah - I saw some great looking reviews along the path but they will need to be saved for when I either get my wife more addicted - or make the trip w/o her.

A little further back up on the road is Elon Park - Eager Beaver in Charlotte. I can't answer the dog question, but it's

---5 or 10 miles off I-77, by easily-traveled roads
---A 3-star short course, 3300-4500 for 18 holes
---Slight elevation
---Not specifically 9-hole loops, but holes 1-6, 7-16, 17-18 loop past the parking lot.
---Almost all in the woods (shade in July, plus more challenge than most short courses)

It's not the shortest or easiest, but Hornet's Nest is really close to I-77, and is basically two nine hole loops, with the front nine being relatively flat, in a more park-like setting, and the back nine being more in the woods. It's not a pitch and putt, but the "normal" Nest layout isn't to bad, and it shouldn't be too crowded on a Wednesday.

Slightly further off the interstate, and a few exits further south in Charlotte is possibly the only nine hole pitch and putt course in town, Pinewood Elementary. It's flat, short, and easy. The dog thing should be no problem here also. I often see neighborhood folks walking their dogs off leash while I'm there.

If you wanted to go more "around" Charlotte by taking the I-485 outer loop, and possibly miss a bunch of traffic depending on time of day, weather, etc., River Street Park in Mt. Holly isn't very far off of 485. It's a little bit hilly, but it's in a a small, pretty park right next to the river.

Last edited:
There are a lot of great courses in PA and WV off I-79, but you'll be hard-pressed to find one that is flat. Moraine is about 10-15 min off the highway and is not the quickest play through, but it is one of the best courses in the country (maybe try using that to convince your wife to stop there) :p

Knob Hill is only about 5 min off of 79 and is real easy to get to. It isn't completely flat but is a relatively quick play through. Schenley Park in Pittsburgh is real quick to play and all compacted into one spot, but it's about 10 miles off 79 and your might hit bad city traffic.

I agree with Sidewinder in that your best bet for the are would be to stop in Fairmont, WV at Morris Park to play Seth Burton. Again, not completely flat, but generally a quicker round I.E. not many chances to lose discs. There is another course called Orange Crush in the park, but that is no course to play if you want to just stretch your legs. Lots of hiking and elevation.

Actually, come to think of it, your best bet to suit those needs would be Grove City in that it is only 5 min off 79, takes about 30 min to play, is almost completely flat, and is a very casual 9 hole course.

It's not the shortest or easiest, but Hornet's Nest is really close to I-77, and is basically two nine hole loops, with the front nine being relatively flat, in a more park-like setting, and the back nine being more in the woods. It's not a pitch and putt, but the "normal" Nest layout isn't to bad, and it shouldn't be too crowded on a Wednesday.

Agree and Hornet's Nest is a "destination" course. About 12 miles south and a few miles from I77 is Plantation Ruins @ Winget Park; its a semi-short course that is a lot of fun. Both are about 3 or so hours from Charleston.