• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner

Interesting question. I would probably still be throwing Tournament Hatchets if they were available in the 150s. Initially Hatchet has a fade, similar to a seasoned Plasma Insanity. But within a month or two the Hatchet would lose its fade and serve a similar role to the G* RR.

So I would say fresh, deflashed 158 G* RR is similar to a 2-month old 166 Tournament Hatchet.

The 157-8 Starlite I have would make a nice stable complement to your G*. I believe they are generally all like that. If you were ever in the hunt for such a thing.

The 157-8 Starlite I have would make a nice stable complement to your G*. I believe they are generally all like that. If you were ever in the hunt for such a thing.

Cool, thanks. I have tried 157-8 Star RRs, not sure if all RRs that light are Starlite, but I'm pretty set on Plasma Insanity for the turn-and-fade fairway slot.

And yeah, I'm probably throwing even shorter now than last time we played. :rolleyes:

Cool, thanks. I have tried 157-8 Star RRs, not sure if all RRs that light are Starlite, but I'm pretty set on Plasma Insanity for the turn-and-fade fairway slot.

And yeah, I'm probably throwing even shorter now than last time we played. :rolleyes:

If we ever manage to catch a round together again, we'll likely be looking in the same places for our discs then. :D

So is anyone buying the Barsby RRs?

I've been to two different Dick's recently and there have been a lot of his disc at each location. Just wondering/hoping the best for him regarding the sales.

So is anyone buying the Barsby RRs?

I've been to two different Dick's recently and there have been a lot of his disc at each location. Just wondering/hoping the best for him regarding the sales.

2018 and 2019 were the most stable version of the Roadrunner until the Halos came out. I absolutely adore the Halos, so the Barsbys have been put in storage. If and when the Halos season in, and when they become less stable than my Barsby, then they still may see the light of day beyond just fun rounds.

With that, before Halos came out, I tried stocking up on Barsbys so I could slow the seasoning across all of them. However, the 2020 version is incredibly flippy out of the box with zero (negative if possible) low-speed stability. If they flipped over, there was zero chance of them coming out of it. To make matters worse, they had no glide. I absolutely hated the 2020 run. Do not get me wrong - I love the flippy ones - I have a 15-year-old PFN Star, a seasoned GStar, and a newer Champion Glow that flip immediately out of the hand, but they have enough stability on the low end that once the flip is complete, they will hold and fly forever. During calm conditions, I usually try to use them as my big bombers.

157 G* RR has been my woodsy fairway jam lately. I'd like to keep beating it up until it develops a late turn, which is a shot I've been missing for a while. I even toss it sidearm from time to time.

I've been throwing a star RR with a little Barsby logo on it. Never tried the tour series. I've been getting back into RR's recently. I forgot how nice they are.

Checking in to find out how the current crop of Roadrunner plastics fare off the shelf. Same as other Innova discs? Besides DX/pro, Gstar and Star similar off-the-shelf with Champ more stable?

Will any of them turn with 300' power off-the-shelf?

Checking in to find out how the current crop of Roadrunner plastics fare off the shelf. Same as other Innova discs? Besides DX/pro, Gstar and Star similar off-the-shelf with Champ more stable?

Will any of them turn with 300' power off-the-shelf?

In my experience, Star is noticeably more stable than G*, especially after knocking off the "new". I have not thrown RRs in other plastics. Caveat: most of the RRs I have thrown are in the 157-163 range.

For me, on a 270-300' throw Star will turn and fade late while G* will hold the turn (thrown low) or turn and pan out (with height). But I think RRs work better if you are throwing more than 300'.

Gstar is less stable than star.
Since the Barsby Roadrunners came out the stars are more stable than the numbers suggest.
Maybe a Discraft sting at your power level...

At just over 300' of power here is my experience:

166g Champion is pretty neutral, some turn some face.

172g Star (Barsby) is a little more understable than 166g champion. On a lower line it will drift right the whole flight but only slightly. May have been a bit straighter when new.

166g Star (Barsby) is quite understable, but still fades back at the end if it's not a really low line.

The roadrunner is one of my favorite discs, super controllable and insane glide.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that it really comes down to PLH. I ordered a bunch of F2 RRs in different plastics and weights. From stable to understable my experience was
  • 157 Starlight (sitting at Hidden Ridge collecting dust right now)
  • 175 G*
  • 175 Star (plenty of difference from G*)
  • 165 Champ (flippy and perfect for me not having time to break in a "more stable" one)
PLH was definitely inline from highest to lowest with my list.

I got a halo roadrunner earlier this year and absolutely loved it. It didn't fly like any other roadrunner that I had ever thrown. It was stable, shapable and just a perfect control disc. It was killing me that I couldn't find any others without paying an arm and a leg.

I recently got a couple metal flake roadrunners and they fly identical to the halo. It might be my new favorite disc. At 375' of power they have some turn with a reliable fade. They fit perfectly between my color glow roadrunner (turnover and roller disc) and my s-line PD (reliable straight to fade). I just ordered 2 more so that I have a little reserve.

They are so good.

Left a 10/10 Barsby behind yesterday, I didn't realize until this morning. I can't remember which hole so I guess someone is going to get lucky:wall:

I got a halo roadrunner earlier this year and absolutely loved it. It didn't fly like any other roadrunner that I had ever thrown. It was stable, shapable and just a perfect control disc. It was killing me that I couldn't find any others without paying an arm and a leg.

I recently got a couple metal flake roadrunners and they fly identical to the halo. It might be my new favorite disc. At 375' of power they have some turn with a reliable fade. They fit perfectly between my color glow roadrunner (turnover and roller disc) and my s-line PD (reliable straight to fade). I just ordered 2 more so that I have a little reserve.

They are so good.

Just a CFR deal?

Just a CFR deal?

The halo I got off a dude on Facebook and was for the Japan Open. The metal flakes were fundraisers for USWDGC, which was local to me. Then I found a couple online Fly High Discs that were also CFR. I have not seen a stock release of either.

So I grabbed a 166g G-Star Roadrunner from DGC the other day, expecting an out of the box roller.

MMM, nope. It has a pretty stable flight, much more so than my Widboom Star Sidewinder.

A common complaint is supposedly stable discs being flippy. I've had a run of supposedly US freaks that were anything but: Amp, FD (the famous run), even had a factory 2nd Underworld where I'm pretty sure the stamp was the error.

Still, I never found my Barsby Roadrunner flippy either. -4 1 should be flippy, no?

The couple of recent roadrunners I've bought recently have had a large amount of flashing on their bottoms. So much that you could nearly consider them a micro-bead by design. I sand them off with one pass of 120 grit paper followed by 400 grit. This flashing can cause the Roadrunners to fly surprisingly straight out of the box. Once I sanded them off, they fly true to their numbers. (350 foot power, throwing 60-70%, on consistent nose down and flat releases).