• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner

I've thrown lots of Valks and Roadrunners, the Roadrunners are consistently more understable. Not sure what can explain your experience.

Is there a trick to Roadrunners? If there is I'm not getting it.

I've got a 166g beat Star Roadrunner that is flat as a board. The only guy I knew that threw Roadrunners said the flat ones were the best. It was meh, didn't really turn or glide like I expected and never really got any better as long as I threw it, which was quite a while. I got a 169g Echo Star Roadrunner that is also pretty seasoned; discspeed said that the Roadrunner throwers he knew said they were great Roadrunners. It was a little better, had a little more glide. Still pretty meh, still really didn't turn no matter how long I threw it. I got a 165 Echo Star to be a backup and HOLY COW does it have a pop top dome; it still really didn't turn much and I hated myself for owning it. It's such a horrible looking disc I'd be embarrassed to be seen throwing it. I got a 175 GStar in a trade somewhere along the line that I really didn't want but it's here; haven't really thrown it other than some field testing.

I just picked up a 166g Barsby and thought I'd really give them a try again (despite throwing them with no success for three years) so I have the five of them. The Barsby again still really had no turn. None of them really seem to climb much i.e. they just run out on a low line with no lift. They go pretty far for a disc that never gets in the air, but a Valk will get up in the air and glide farther. I can also get a Valk to turn.

Am I just throwing them wrong? What am I missing? I'm really trying to like them, but they just are not cooperating.

ive seen some domey stars glide for days on a gentle hyzer flip at 75% and some stars that turn and burn and some that fly like the champ counterparts

ive seen some domey and flat champ turds that have no glide and have good fade and ive seen some beat champs make the smoothest farthest turnovers ive seen

it seems to be the old innova wildcard game

I've thrown a handful of star and Gstar and all of them have been nicely understable. They needed a nose down hyzer release, ideally upward instead of a <10' line drive, and would turn over through the apex and glide out real far. Not so understable that they'll burn, but all the ones I have tried would definitely go right from a hyzer for me. In comparison I have thrown Champ Sidewinders that I could throw full power flat and they would drift right but fade back...like a -1/2.5 and not at all expected based on a "usual" Sidewinder.

Maybe try more nose down?

If you've got 5 of them and in that many different plastics it'd be so unlikely for them all to be freakishly OS.

I have had the same experience with Star Roadrunners in the low 160s. More stable than expected, and more finishing fade than expected. Granted, I don't throw real far.

I used a 150s JK Valk for years at my understable distance driver, paired with a 150s Star Valk as an S-curve driver. Now I use a 150s Plasma Insanity, which fills the Roadrunner role quite nicely after a few good tree hits.

I have seen others throw Roadrunners beautifully but for some reason it does not mesh with my throw. Could be a lack of nose down.

I've thrown a handful of star and Gstar and all of them have been nicely understable. They needed a nose down hyzer release, ideally upward instead of a <10' line drive, and would turn over through the apex and glide out real far. Not so understable that they'll burn, but all the ones I have tried would definitely go right from a hyzer for me. In comparison I have thrown Champ Sidewinders that I could throw full power flat and they would drift right but fade back...like a -1/2.5 and not at all expected based on a "usual" Sidewinder.

Maybe try more nose down?

If you've got 5 of them and in that many different plastics it'd be so unlikely for them all to be freakishly OS.

The two g* RRs I have had were both VERY understable. The champs I have had have both been quite OS, with me putting a poop-ton of spin and power on them and them doing a large S curve and hyzering out. (This is >450'.)

I would like to try and find something in the middle, not too flippy (g*), not too OS (champ). Are stars any different?

The two g* RRs I have had were both VERY understable. The champs I have had have both been quite OS, with me putting a poop-ton of spin and power on them and them doing a large S curve and hyzering out. (This is >450'.)

I would like to try and find something in the middle, not too flippy (g*), not too OS (champ). Are stars any different?

Haven't thrown champ, but the stars I have thrown were definitely more stable than the Gstar. Both are understable. You can also look at the Sidewinder, there can be a lot of overlap between SW/RR, the biggest difference is how the underside of the rim feels. SW is more normal/straight whereas the RR has that convex bottom rim. I think a worked in star SW is likely what you want at your power. You throw harder than me and I'm also at altitude, so the best I can do is compare the relative stabilities of all of these.

I'm a huge roadrunner fan but when looking for that nice sweetspot of not too flippy and not too stable I ventured out and tried a Streamline LIFT - and they are (to me anyway) like a fresh Star Roadrunner or a Star VAlkyrie that has a lil use on it. Its a nice flying disc and cheap (and best plastic I've seen in a long time)

Another spin vote.

They share some characteristics with Comets....you can absolutely throw a sweeping hyzer with one. You can also however turn and burn. Dem release angles.

Champ RR > Icon Mongoose > Star RR

IMO the perfect RR is a beat Champ. The Mongoose is a great 'out of the box' RR if you like star plastic. A Star RR can be finicky. They do beat into good rollers and fly great on sweeping hyzer lines.

I'll buy it.
I don't like champ for drivers sooooo.... Icon Mongoose is the easy choice.

Found a gummy champ RR at my local disc store today and I can't wait to try it out. I've thrown RRs for years and they always start out more stable than you would think, however, they beat in so nicely. I've never had one live up to a -4 turn, but they will come close.

If you are looking for a flippy 9 speed disc, pick up a Westside Discs Hatchet in VIP. Throw it hard and flat and you have yourself a bombed roller. It's that easy.

Found a gummy champ RR at my local disc store today and I can't wait to try it out. I've thrown RRs for years and they always start out more stable than you would think, however, they beat in so nicely. I've never had one live up to a -4 turn, but they will come close.

If you are looking for a flippy 9 speed disc, pick up a Westside Discs Hatchet in VIP. Throw it hard and flat and you have yourself a bombed roller. It's that easy.

Another Easy disc to roll is the Monarch though it is a speed 10 and some hate the Rim shape. My brother loved the flight but not the rim, I used his disc when it was still new and I had to grip it odd not so bad I hated the disc just was too odd for me to use.

Last edited:
I've thrown RRs for years and they always start out more stable than you would think, however, they beat in so nicely. I've never had one live up to a -4 turn, but they will come close.

I haven't thrown a ton of RR's, but I find that in that Innova speed 9 category Gstar helps them fly close to their numbers out of the box. Talking RR/SW/Valk.

Of course I'd rather have a beat in champ like you found, it'll stay at that good stability for a long time once it's there.

Latest posts