• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner

So I grabbed a 166g G-Star Roadrunner from DGC the other day, expecting an out of the box roller.

MMM, nope. It has a pretty stable flight, much more so than my Widboom Star Sidewinder.

A common complaint is supposedly stable discs being flippy. I've had a run of supposedly US freaks that were anything but: Amp, FD (the famous run), even had a factory 2nd Underworld where I'm pretty sure the stamp was the error.

Still, I never found my Barsby Roadrunner flippy either. -4 1 should be flippy, no?

The 166 Gstar surprises me to be honest, maybe not an instant roller but definitely a disc you *should* be able to roll with when new.

Barsby RR's are claimed to be designed that way on purpose, allegedly he wanted them to come out a little more beefy. I don't know where the source for that is but it's generally agreed to be a truthful statement.

I have both new and old RRs and aside from the Barsby Stars Champ always seems to be the most overstable (relatively speaking) for me.

Yes - newer premium plastic Roadrunners do not start a true -4/1.

The couple of recent roadrunners I've bought recently have had a large amount of flashing on their bottoms. So much that you could nearly consider them a micro-bead by design. I sand them off with one pass of 120 grit paper followed by 400 grit. This flashing can cause the Roadrunners to fly surprisingly straight out of the box. Once I sanded them off, they fly true to their numbers. (350 foot power, throwing 60-70%, on consistent nose down and flat releases).

Hate to be that guy, but:

DpQ9YJl.png

Roadrunners have always had a micro bead. Not denying yours may have had extra flashing but yes that bump is meant to be there.

l1Exi0x.jpg

sk79nkm.jpg

Yeah RR's do have a tiny microbead but likely flashing as well on top of that. I would be wary of removing the microbead myself and just in general for advice to others. You can't make a disc more stable (outside of some tuning, you can only do so much) and you could end up with a very flippy disc.

I did this myself a long time ago and ruined a RR, got too far into the bead not knowing it was suppose to be there. It ended up being garbage and I hated it. If it works for you thats cool though.

I've had a somewhat gummy 162g Champ Roadrunner sitting around for a few years. I never clicked with the mold, but this specific disc always felt good so I kept it. I played a new course with water on it and didn't want to lose a disc in my bag, so I took it with me. It's pretty stable considering the weight and the mold, but it flew laser straight for me and never found the water. I still prefer Sidewinders, but good to know I can rely on it in a situation like this!

I've had a somewhat gummy 162g Champ Roadrunner sitting around for a few years. I never clicked with the mold, but this specific disc always felt good so I kept it. I played a new course with water on it and didn't want to lose a disc in my bag, so I took it with me. It's pretty stable considering the weight and the mold, but it flew laser straight for me and never found the water. I still prefer Sidewinders, but good to know I can rely on it in a situation like this!

Hey how you doin? Ha I like RR's, lots of good memories, I had one that I bought moving up from a leopard, thought very little of it when I moved up to a Surge, because you know 300'+ is 11 speed right? Played with my dog all the time with that 160 champ roadrunner, I threw every shot I could on the jobsite with him, BH/FH/Roller/Hammer. Damn if I didn't put that thing in my bag for a tournament. It's the only Innova disc I have a bit of occasional bag space for.

*gstar is sexy

Cool to see a couple different tour series Roadrunners in special blend plastics,
Lisa with the 166-169g Color Glow Champion and Callie with 173-175g Metalflake Champion
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/glow-champion-roadrunner-lisa-fajkus-tour-series/
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-metal-flake-roadrunner-callie-mcmorran-tour-series/

Plus some plain stock 175g Champion Glow ones were put up recently
https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/champion-glow-roadrunner/

Really been liking the CFR 175g MF Champ ones from last year and I've been able to find stock Star ones with nice stabilities near max weight (range from Stable to US). Getting a feel for what makes a flippy one vs. a stable one off the shelf. Softer Star blends with nice dome are more US to start out :thmbup:

I picked up a pair of each Glow & Color Glow to try out

Ha! I really like it for wet weather and winter rounds, the extra flex is nice for digging my fingers in.. Just a fun flippy disc to throw...

I agree! I did a bunch of chemo in 2018 and have some neuropathy as a result. When it's colder my fingers lose some feeling and GStar is the best for me.

I've had two Gstar Roadrunners. The first was flat and flippy immediately, and I never clicked with it. The second is domey, max weight, pretty stiff for Gstar, and has the new stamp. It doesn't turn much at all, maybe a -1, on a good rip and I've gotten it out to about 390' on a flat release. It is more stable than my Barsby's and Marm stamps. If you don't have one already keep your eyes open for a domey Gstar!

Dang! What's the dome like on the earlier run? Looks fairly moderate on the proshop profile pic.

The one I threw was a little more shallow then the one in the pic. Of course dome is likely going to vary I imagine. I have a stiff Champ shallow dome that is also super straight that I love and I have not found another with as high a PLH or right dome so I'm hoping the Halo will be similar to my stiff Champ and the Halo I threw last year.

Dang. Those weren't up for long. Got one of the Japan Open ones on release a couple of years ago and fell in love with it but have been terrified of losing it as scalpers are charging 100+ for a replacement.

Dang. Those weren't up for long. Got one of the Japan Open ones on release a couple of years ago and fell in love with it but have been terrified of losing it as scalpers are charging 100+ for a replacement.

Why not just get stock runs if you're afraid of throwing the ones you got now?

Why not just get stock runs if you're afraid of throwing the ones you got now?

Oh I've got a stack of them. But I haven't been able to find the same stability in a stock run, and I like the ability to occasionally bust out a 500' cut roller.

My Halo Roadrunners came in today and I got them out in the field for a few throws. I threw them next to a Japan Open halo, a color glow, and a newer star.
Feel: they feel great. Stiffer them regular start so than my older halo. They both have a very mild dome (I requested flat on my pro shop order hoping to get a mild dome)
Flight: These are exactly what I had hoped for. Stable for a roadrunner and really glidey. They are not as stable as the Japan open one that I have. They are a little more stable than the star and a bit more stable than my color glow. I was getting them out to about 400' with a nice flexing turn. They even flew well into a headwind with a hyzer release. These are outstanding discs