• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roc vs. Buzzz, to end all wars

My local par 3, Shenley Park is slowly becoming the Buzzz + Aviar course. I really love the consistency of my Z Buzzz. FLX was good for the winter also.

I was actually thinking about that not too long ago. If not for #2, I probably wouldn't even bring anything but a Buzzz and a putter.

for 8yrs i denied the Buzzz cause i was a "Roc" guy. then in the matter of a 6 moth span i lost all my key rocs; my 9yr old dx roc cracked, my 11x(10x mold) kc pro was chewed on my bro's new puppy, and BRP swallowed my 11x kc pro that was almost in the right spot.
i was mad and spent 4-5 moths trying to beat in new ones. in the process i decided it was absolutely silly to have to go this far to get the disc i want, there must be a disc already close. i bought a few different mids, and tried several friends discs. then i took my X Buzzz and laced one down the fairway low and fast, with lil effort, and slapped the front of the chains. it has yet to ace but still continues to run at the basket.
i love how smooth and effortless the Buzzz is. it does what you want in almost every situation. i do feel that it is one disc the requires a separate midrange mold to compliment it. if you know what your looking for you can buy a Buzzz that can handle itself consistently in the wind. but realistically something to compliment is a better way to go.
now, its time for some honesty, the Roc is overall a superior disc to the Buzzz. Why? Simple because a Roc can be any midrange disc you want, from overstable to understable (with time). it doesnt need another disc to compliment it and it is consistent in the wind. however, it has two weaknesses, 1) the time it takes to turn it into a turnover mid, and 2) high end plastic costs extra and is consider collectibles and hard to replace.

Last edited:
I used to be a flat top Roc guy. If Champ Rocs were easier to find cheap, I would never have switched, but now I am a buzzz thrower.

Buzzz, because I can replace it so easily. And I don't have to pay premium prices for premium plastic.

So while the Roc is infinitely better because it can be any mid-range you want... the Buzzz will remain more popular and more widely used because it does multiple shots really well and it will always remain in stock production in premium plastics.

Buzzz, because I can replace it so easily. And I don't have to pay premium prices for premium plastic.

So while the Roc is infinitely better because it can be any mid-range you want... the Buzzz will remain more popular and more widely used because it does multiple shots really well and it will always remain in stock production in premium plastics.

like I said, the best rocs are 7$

and people are paying $bank$ for theose first run buzzzes, which is basically just a Z buzzz

for 8yrs i denied the Buzzz cause i was a "Roc" guy. then in the matter of a 6 moth span i lost all my key rocs; my 9yr old dx roc cracked, my 11x(10x mold) kc pro was chewed on my bro's new puppy, and BRP swallowed my 11x kc pro that was almost in the right spot.
i was mad and spent 4-5 moths trying to beat in new ones. in the process i decided it was absolutely silly to have to go this far to get the disc i want, there must be a disc already close. i bought a few different mids, and tried several friends discs. then i took my X Buzzz and laced one down the fairway low and fast, with lil effort, and slapped the front of the chains. it has yet to ace but still continues to run at the basket.
i love how smooth and effortless the Buzzz is. it does what you want in almost every situation. i do feel that it is one disc the requires a separate midrange mold to compliment it. if you know what your looking for you can buy a Buzzz that can handle itself consistently in the wind. but realistically something to compliment is a better way to go.
now, its time for some honesty, the Roc is overall a superior disc to the Buzzz. Why? Simple because a Roc can be any midrange disc you want, from overstable to understable (with time). it doesnt need another disc to compliment it and it is consistent in the wind. however, it has two weaknesses, 1) the time it takes to turn it into a turnover mid, and 2) high end plastic costs extra and is consider collectibles and hard to replace.

This is a really good writeup. I disagree on the Buzzz needing a compliment though, I still throw my buzzzes in the wind. Anything up to about a 20mph wind it can still hold a hyzer without a problem. Anything faster than that I'm throwing a predator or avenger at lower power anyway.

This is a really good writeup. I disagree on the Buzzz needing a compliment though, I still throw my buzzzes in the wind. Anything up to about a 20mph wind it can still hold a hyzer without a problem. Anything faster than that I'm throwing a predator or avenger at lower power anyway.

you go to ISU? hows Carroll Marty and Stable Run (Iowa State) doing these days? man do i miss the disc golf there.
the only Buzzz that ive seen that can hold their lines well in wind are the FLX. and i would love me one of them if they didnt get all floppy at 70+deg. a well chosen roc will continue to hold its lines at 20mph

you go to ISU? hows Carroll Marty and Stable Run (Iowa State) doing these days? man do i miss the disc golf there.
the only Buzzz that ive seen that can hold their lines well in wind are the FLX. and i would love me one of them if they didnt get all floppy at 70+deg. a well chosen roc will continue to hold its lines at 20mph

Should change that. I did for a semester. After the flood last year they revamped Stable Run. We (the dg club) put in an alternate pad at Carroll Marty at the end of last year. Carroll Marty is overrun by 2 discers as usual, 13th is fantastic and one of my favorite courses. All the nasty underbrush was cleared out by the flood and then trimmed back by the crew. new wood chips etc.

I throw a Z one in the wind (169 g I think). It's the only mid I carry besides a comet, which I'll also throw in the wind. It just takes more spin and less arm, let the disc glide out there instead of trying to force it through the wind. That's something one of the pros told me up at last years collegiate nationals.

I Throw Rocs right; with a modified fan grip. When I used to throw Buzzz' I used a full power grip. Thought that was interesting, I cant throw a Roc with a power grip to save my life...

Some have said that one of the biggest draws of the buzzz is that it is a staple mid in premium plastic. Where Rocs in premium plastic are hard to get easily.

The problem is the best rocs aren't the premium ones... DX Rancho Rocs are all you need. You don't have to go hunting for 10x KCs, 2002 USDGC's or whatever. If you have them, fine. But your game would do just as fine with a DX in a similar stage of wear. All mids need a compliment. The only reason to hunt down high end rocs is for crazy winds... and even then... go for something else.

The problem isn't just the availability of the myriad of specialty Rocs. Sometimes having a lot of versions of a single disc is no longer a strength It just increases the noise-to-signal ratio thereby making it harder to find the one you actually need.

I've only been playing a short time, but I've basically avoided Roc's like the plague because there are 4-5 main versions and all the variant limited edition runs of each of those. Everyone claims that they fly differently.

I've gone into my local store and asked if they had any Rancho rocs. The guy working the counter (who has several limited edition discs in his personal collection) wasn't sure what kind of rocs they had on the shelf. To add to this, online retailers often aren't specific in their listings as to what version of Roc they're selling. As a player who is just having his eyes opened as to what different discs do why the hell should I spend so much time on the variations of one mold when I can just go get a Buzzz and learn to throw it?

YMMV, mostly because I'm of the philosophy that if I can't buy a replacement of it off the shelf of a local shop or at least 3-4 online retailers, then I don't want it. You'll notice that the Buzzz is the only non-Innova disc I currently carry (though that's about to change as I just picked up a Lat64 Vision this weekend.)

Last edited:
Most Rocs = Rancho Roc
Production stamped Roc = Racho Roc
KC Rocs = Rancho Roc

Basically, 95% of stores that carry disc golf discs that have a Roc on the shelf are going to have Ranchos. If it simply says "Roc" online, it's probably a Rancho; normally online stores advertise a San Marino or Ontario in the name.

Plus, if you're buying discs locally, just flip the disc over and look at the tooling. If it says Rancho, then it's a Rancho. If it says Ontario, it's an Ontario. If it says San Marino, it's a San Marino.

There are only 3 primary kids of Rocs and the vast majority of them available are Rancho... Its not that hard to figure out... and if you knew anything about buzzz's you would feel the same way (1st run, 2nd First Run, Production Run, Runs between, and WWW whatever...) Buzzz is just as bad. And don't forget you have the Buzzz SS... which are the origional fundraiser Buzzz SS, then the production McCabe ones...

I HATE ROCS THERE ARE LIKE 3 KINDS AND THE CHAMPION ONES ARE SO EXPENSIVE

Most discs that are of any age have some type of 1st run, 2nd run, star stamp, bar stamp, tramp stamp, named-after-some-pro's-worlds-victory (x12!), etc. versioning. There's no getting away from that, and Buzzz's are no exception.

Rocs have some of that PLUS the different molds. FWIW, last store I was in had labeled San Marino rocs and some rocs that had no label and no inside tooling that I could find. If you buy a current run ESP or Z Buzzz, you know exactly what you're getting.

I conjecture that a lot of the 1st run/tramp stamp differentiation is self-pleasuring in nature. However, I haven't played with enough versions of the same disc to assert it as a fact.

Last edited:
i have never heard of a roc without a tooling. If it was www. tooling, I believe it is a roc+