• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc weight?

hilega

Bogey Member
I just got a 175g DX Roc and it feels heavy, sluggish and is flying VERY stable. I throw RHBH. I currently drive a 167ish Dragon about 340' on a flat hole and a 170g DX Leopard about 340' on a downhill hole.

So the Roc is my heaviest disc (don't know how heavy my used Classic Aviar is). Do I just need to wait until it gets beat in a bit?

Just feels heavy to me ...

all the new rocs fly overstable right off the shelf, so that'll change as it beats in. The weight though, can vary. I hate rocs under 178 (180 is max weight for them). especially because you normally throw lighter discs, it might feel a little odd at first. after time, i think it'll be fine. just mess around with different weights. If you find someone else who has a roc weighted differently, throw theirs. rocs do take a little bit of getting use to, but once you figure out how to throw it (and let it get beat in a little), then it can do a lot for ya. a roc SHOULD feel sluggish and very stable at first, and the weight is probably just because you're use to throwing lighter weights.

Same way, I hate rocs under 178 but you will probably get used to it since it is the heaviest thing you throw. And yes when it gets beat in...you'll love it. Rocs suck new!

Thanks

I guess I will just keep throwin and see what happens. Really want something for that 200' range and I hope this fits the bill.

Dont know if you can find one or some, but the Latitude 64 Sinus Sp's are SUPER sweet upshot discs. The have pretty much the same feel of a roc but fly slower and are very predictable even in a strong headwind. I have 2 in the bag, one I putt with the other is a money upshot disc!!

Glow Roc

I had a KC Pro Roc that was very stiff and stable. I didn't really like it that much and ended up losing it in the woods. I purchased a glow Roc to try out the glow-in-the-dark discs and really enjoyed throwing it. The glow feature really didn't help that much in finding it at night, but this glow Roc is not too stable or understable. The weight of the disc is in the low 170's and sometimes I even use it as a putter.

I guess I will just keep throwin and see what happens. Really want something for that 200' range and I hope this fits the bill.

If you're throwing Leopards 340' I've gotta think that a Roc is much more than overkill for 200' shots.

Use your putter for that shot instead.

Mine is 180 grams and is great in the wind for me. It's about 6 months old and gets better and more predictable every time I throw it. Made a 100 foot putt with it for a birdie this weekend, matter of fact. I'm nowhere near good so I felt pretty proud of that one. ;)

I agree that a 200' shot is probably a putter shot for you. I also think that a 175g Roc is about the perfect weight for you if you're throwing those distances.

Aviar

If you're throwing Leopards 340' I've gotta think that a Roc is much more than overkill for 200' shots.

Use your putter for that shot instead.

I have a terribly old, beat Classica Aviar (bought used) that I am throwing better and better everyday. It is super predictable and has a nice stable flight path.

I guess I will lean more towards the Roc for some 250-300' shots.

I used to have a pretty strong arm from baseball, but as I get older, I would rather throw a little easier on a better flying disc. Kind of like hitting a nice smooth 7-iron instead of going with a 'Tiger' swing on a 9-iron.