• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roller Tutorial with DGA's Peter McBride

Royalhghnss

Double Eagle Member
Here's a little roller tutorial I put together with Peter McBride.
It's not perfect, and I'm sure you guys will point out everything wrong, but it's a start. Hope you like it!

you have a very unique rhythm to your speech, its like long pauses between sentences, but your sentences are spoken like there are no spaces.

Your the CentralCoastDiscGolf dude! I really enjoy your commentary & love watching your videos on youtube (the other guy that does commentaries with you sometimes REALLY loves sidearm lol :p) . Keep it up :thmbup: Its pretty sweet your on this site, especially with all the very opinionated & hate filled people on here.

Your the CentralCoastDiscGolf dude! I really enjoy your commentary & love watching your videos on youtube (the other guy that does commentaries with you sometimes REALLY loves sidearm lol :p) . Keep it up :thmbup: Its pretty sweet your on this site, especially with all the very opinionated & hate filled people on here.

Haha, yup that's me! Glad you like the vids :)

Kevin LOVES his sidearm! I try to get him to learn backhand, but it is just not happening.

Thanks for the video.
You do good stuff!

Great video!

Here are my questions...

How do you throw a roller without so much vertical flight in the disc to get it on the ground and rolling quicker?

Do you tomahawk it into the ground right in front of you (like 10' or so) or do you over exaggerate the hyzer angle on the release?

How do you aim to have the disc finish in a certain area?

Thanks for the help, and thank you for all the video work you guys do.

Great video!

Here are my questions...

How do you throw a roller without so much vertical flight in the disc to get it on the ground and rolling quicker?

Do you tomahawk it into the ground right in front of you (like 10' or so) or do you over exaggerate the hyzer angle on the release?

How do you aim to have the disc finish in a certain area?

Thanks for the help, and thank you for all the video work you guys do.

NP! Glad it's appreciated :)

To throw a roller that gets to the ground faster you have to release it later, and/or with more anhyzer angle.

Same goes for FH and BH.

Aiming the disc to finish in a certain area is all about the angle the disc lands, and how long the disc is in the air. The longer it's in the air and the more it's leaning away from the flight plate the longer it will go. \ will go farther than | (assuming backhand)

Aiming left or right is all about the angle the discs lands. For BH rollers the more vertical it lands, the more it will go right, and the opposite for left.

Great video! Haven't ever really seen a lot of good videos for rollers so I appreciate you taking the time to make this one.

Here are my issues when throwing rollers:

-The disc hits the ground and appears to be at the correct angle (about 10 'o' clock) but for some reason it cuts off to the left when it meets the ground instead of rolling in the direction the throw was going. Any tips? Perhaps I'm not releasing it well..

I am just learning this shot, this video will help a lot i'm sure! can't wait to try this out. Just wondering... besides Tsunami, and Destroyer are there any other discs you could recommend for forehand rollers?

Great video! Haven't ever really seen a lot of good videos for rollers so I appreciate you taking the time to make this one.

Here are my issues when throwing rollers:

-The disc hits the ground and appears to be at the correct angle (about 10 'o' clock) but for some reason it cuts off to the left when it meets the ground instead of rolling in the direction the throw was going. Any tips? Perhaps I'm not releasing it well..

Try a less stable disc, or put a lot more spin on it. Rollers 'flip' just like drives, meaning a less stable disc will flip up easier without as much spin/speed. I have a hard time throwing rollers that fly for half the distance, I mostly throw rollers that hit early(probably 50-80 feet from me), slowly flip over and then finish. I also usually throw my understable axis, for me the slower speed midranges work better for that sorta shot. Try to put too much distance in the flight and the spin will slow down before it lands, and you'll finish left without the flip.

I am just learning this shot, this video will help a lot i'm sure! can't wait to try this out. Just wondering... besides Tsunami, and Destroyer are there any other discs you could recommend for forehand rollers?
Flicks, nuke os, firebirds esp the flat ones.

GREAT VIDEO I really like everything you guys put out! someone should sponsor you to do video! I wish he talked more about how he does the forehand rollers. was this cut from the video? my forehand roller needs work but i think i need to have it land further out so it isn't fighting the grass for so long.

WHy would you throw a sky roller as opposed to a low one? I seem to get the most distance out of low ones because the disc has much more forward momentum.

WHy would you throw a sky roller as opposed to a low one? I seem to get the most distance out of low ones because the disc has much more forward momentum.

I am currently learning BH rollers and there are a few reasons that I throw sky rollers.

-I have not yet thrown lower ones with much consistency
-There is one shot on my course (#19 Westover Park, Harrisonburg, VA) that does not have much of a low roller line.

It all has to do with the desired line. If I'm going around something, I'm more likely to throw a sky roller, becuase I can get left-right movement in the air and on the ground. If I'm trying to go underneath something, I'm more likely to throw a low roller. Low rollers can follow a very straight path. Especially if you throw something stable.

I don't know about anyone else, but I think sky rollers are easier on my body. Low rollers I have to lean back on a lot more, and I OAT the crap out of them.

Latest posts