• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rollers

kmunt09

Bogey Member
I have been playing for around two years and have never really looked into trying to add a roller to my game and know little about them. I realize that it takes the right disc to throw one efficiently, but it seems like such a high risk shot. I've definently never thrown one even close to sucessfull even with extremely understable discs, and I have never seen anyone do it either. So I guess my question is this : When do most people use them (for tunnel shots, wide open drives with a couple huge trees in the way, or downhill shots maybe)? I can throw backhand 300ft.-330ft. consistently and am woundering if being able to execute the roller would give me an advantage on some holes. Is it common for a professional to throw say one roller during 18 holes? Thanks for any advice/help

i have two roadrunners that i use. a 175 for wooded holes to get them over twigs and stuff. i have a 165 roadrunner that i use for wide open spaces. and for up/down hill i use a 160 wraith. when i throw my rollers (10x a round ish) i throw forearm and have the disc tilted in my hand tords or away from my body. it all depends upon which way i want the disc to roll.

i don't know a ton about what pros do, but i might can help you out a little bit kmunt. The first thing you should know is that Ken Climo, the greatest disc golfer to ever walk on the earth, can throw the most incredible rollers ever. I say this to point out the fact that knowing how to throw a roller will only help your game, not hurt it. I rarely use rollers, because yes, they are harder to control. But they will get you more distance. I can hit about 330-350 with a backhand throw, whereas my rollers usually get up to about 400-when i do them right. They are also good to use to make tight turns and to get through a small gap in-between trees. If you want to learn how to throw them, go research how to do them, probably through youtube as well as other sites, and then go get some understable discs and a field and go practice. I've only played one or two holes where i will use a roller right off the tee, but i am very grateful that i know how to use it for those two holes, as they would be out of my reach if i didn't know how to use it. hope this helps.

Alot of people don't like rollers. I personally think they are a nice shot to have in the bag. They can add some extra distance on those long and open holes.

usually if i get a good roll its by accident. when i try to roll its almost always a terrible outcome.

Being new to the sport(started playing three months ago or so)I am really just trying to develope my normal throwing style(played disc golf in the late 70's to mid 80's with a regular frisbee) much less a roller. With saying that I was playing the other day and had the course to myself. I was thowing some disc and my last one some how got up on the rim and rolled. I lost it where it went behind the trees and figured it rolled off into the parking lot. So I went and gathered my other discs and when i started looking for the disc that had rolled to my surprise it was laying under the basket. Although this was a total accident I think it did show me the potential of a roller and as I become better I have every intention of making the roller as part of my game.

I have yet to find a good video on youtube showing how to properly throw a roller. Has anyone run across a good one? If so, could you please post a link? Also, if anyone knows of any good instructional DVD's for sale that really show how to throw it, I'd be interested in hearing about that too. I am not a big fan of rollers, but I know I should probably add them to my game if I am going to improve. Thanks for the feedback!

Are you guys throwing these mainly forehand then? I heard backhand rollers are much harder to execute.

I would say that forehand rollers are easier to throw but less controllable. Backhands are harder to throw but more controllable. (once you get the form down). However, that might just be my preference).

You see alot of backhand rollers from Pro level golfers.

They are great for getting under tree heavy holes and for distance. You should be able to throw a roller about 20% further then you can throw in the Air. Example: If you can throw a disc in the air 300' you should be able to throw a 360' roller. Making some holes that you cant quite reach, reachable. They are also fairly predictable and accurate once you get it down.

I have yet to find a good video on youtube showing how to properly throw a roller. Has anyone run across a good one? If so, could you please post a link? Also, if anyone knows of any good instructional DVD's for sale that really show how to throw it, I'd be interested in hearing about that too. I am not a big fan of rollers, but I know I should probably add them to my game if I am going to improve. Thanks for the feedback!

Here's a good video for rollers (back hand).

I love rollers. I picked up my backhand roller after I got so frustrated on a few holes just throwing my disc into the branches on the trees. I saw a guy throw a roller on one of those holes and the rest is history. I learned the backhand first and I think it is defiantely easier to throw and control. Threw my first brilliant forehand roller today and I think I know why it took me so long to get my first good one in. Since I also throw over head hawks and thumbers the tendancy I have is to make my roller motion too much like those. bring the arm down to the side and let 'er rip. But yeah, I mostly use rollers where I am frustrated from throwing my discs into branches.

There's a hole at a nearby course, less than 200' and no (IMO) feasible path from tee to basket due to all the trees. Tight (some would say unreasonable) fairways are a hallmark of this course, so I just accepted this hole as the tightest fairway on a tight woods course. I would just chuck my favorite mid-range as straight as I could and hope for the best.

Well, started practicing BH rollers in a field, learned a bit of control after a while, and afterwards I come up to this hole, and roll one right through all the trees (and unfortunately well past the basket). Now I roll this hole every time, and usually it works out. So perhaps this hole isn't unreasonable, it just DEMANDS a roller. Depends on your perspective, but I've been throwing a roller a little more often, and getting along with this course a little better, since that little roller awakening.

I hosted a clinic for rollers last week at Seneca Creek.
Rollers are a great tool to understand and be able to use.
They have distance applications, specialty applications, and escape applications, all of which can shave strokes from your score.
Just think about it this way, take all the energy you'd put into a 300' drive, and put it into the edge of the disc as it turns and hits the ground 60-100' in front of you.
Rollers have similar movement traits on the ground as they do in the air, Stable discs in the air will be stable on the ground (i.e. take longer to turn over - or sometimes not at all) Unstable discs will turn fairly readily given adequate spin.
Just take an old beat disc, and experiment - it's fun!

Latest posts