• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules clarification, artificial devices

colodiscgolfer

Eagle Member
So I am try to bone up on the PDGA rulebook before a tourney later this month, and saw in a section on artificial devices, that GPS or other range finding items are illegal to carry. My iPhone has a GPS built into it, so does this really mean I can be penalized for having my phone in my bag, even if I don't use the GPS?

802.04 Artificial Devices

A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a
throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape,
bandages, gauze, etc.) and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player's hand or artificially lengthens any of the player's throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

B. A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a
round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial
device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04 A. A player who uses an
artificial device after it has been determined by the director to be in violation of 802.04 A
has also violated 804.05 A (3) and shall be penalized accordingly.

actually while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and ask if your PDGA number needs to be on all the discs you use in the tournament? I saw this claimed in another thread and want to prep my discs ahead of time if this is the case so I'm not scribbling away at the start of the tourney when I should be warming up.

technically carrying the phone with GPS is illegal according to the rules. I guess you might have to leave it in the car. I will forget you started this thread though and think nothing of it come the start of the JRM Tourney.

As far as writing on your discs, you only need to have some kind of identifying mark. It could be your PDGA number but it could also be your name and/or phone number. It could even be as simple as a little symbol that you put on your discs as long as it then can be identified as yours.

Thanks for the info! I don't mind putting my phone in the car during play. I just wanted to know ahead of time because I don't want any confrontations with rule nazis.

As far as writing on your discs, you only need to have some kind of identifying mark. It could be your PDGA number but it could also be your name and/or phone number. It could even be as simple as a little symbol that you put on your discs as long as it then can be identified as yours.

Thats it

As a practical matter, unless you're using the GPS on your phone, there's virtually no chance anyone will call you on it. There's about 100 times greater chance that the phone will get you a courtesy violation.

The rule says USE not possession. I wouldn't worry about the phone. Besides...I know my ass wouldn't make a better shot if I knew the distance.

Yea, I would worry much more about getting the courtesy violation than someone trying to call you on using a GPS.

I've carried my iPhone (ring turned completely off, in my bag) in every tournament I've played, and nobody has ever had an issue with it.

The rule says USE not possession. I wouldn't worry about the phone. Besides...I know my ass wouldn't make a better shot if I knew the distance.

Check Section B (first post):

"A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using OR CARRYING an artificial device...."

Which I mention only for the rules lawyers amongst us. As I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't sweat it. This rule probably predates GPSs being included on phones, and I can't imagine anyone calling it, nor a TD upholding it, just because someone was carrying a phone with that capability.

I'm with you that I don't see it as an advantage, anyway.

Just wait until they design a circular iPhone (or GPS device) with a size that would fall within the legal dimensions of a mini...

Check Section B (first post):

"A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using OR CARRYING an artificial device...."

Which I mention only for the rules lawyers amongst us. As I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't sweat it. This rule probably predates GPSs being included on phones, and I can't imagine anyone calling it, nor a TD upholding it, just because someone was carrying a phone with that capability.

I'm with you that I don't see it as an advantage, anyway.

You are correct. I wouldnt call you on it but I have played with people before that will call you for something just because they can.....and usually its cause your kicking their ass and they need somehing to make them feel better. I would be safe and just leave it in your car, its not like your going to order a pizza during the round, are you?

I use my cell phone (not iPhone) to time 3 minutes if someone needs to go on the clock looking for a lost disc.

You actually time that? If there isnt a rush and nobody behind you why not take a little more time to look? I mean I dont take forever to look but Im not looking at a stopwatch either.

the 3 minute rule is more for crowded tourneys. most tournaments say they have the rule, but the group will not time you out of courtesy for your lost plastic

i've never been in a group where the clock didn't go on it eventually, that's not to say that we didn't look for some period of time before putting the clock on it though.

I was agreeing with you Roc1time. I was just saying I don't think most people time it.

If people are going to worry about a rule to break, focus on not mucking up the putt, that's where people get called the most because it directly affects the score and the legitamacy of the score.

I don't even see foot faults getting called much. I don't call anything, I assume everyone has more expereince than me and if someone else has a problem let them call it.

Thats what I was trying to say. I have been on cards and looked for a while just never had anybody with a watch counting down the seconds. Everybody knows when 3 minutes has gone by, even the guy who lost the disc.