• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient discs changing a course in Orangeburg SC

BraveThrower43

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1021750347870514

From what I can gather from the Orangeburg dgc,Columbia dgc, and petition Facebook pages, it seems that Salient owner Chris Kilgus has gone around the local community and parks and recreation department and straight to the town board to redesign the current cours for future salient/adgt events.

The locals seem a bit upset because of how quickly this happened and how no one was informed or asked for input..........and well, also because it's salient.

So unbelievable that this is happening. Once again Salient proves that they can't be trusted and that all decisions are based on self serving motivations.

I understand if their baskets fail at the welds you can't return them if they smell of smoke.

They really don't have a good relationship with any of the golfers in South Carolina.

I posted this in the ADGT thread, seems better to bring the discussion over here

The Orangeburg course in question is kind of a mess. It hasn't been kept up very well over the years and is in pretty bad shape. It also gets very little play outside of the very small group of super passionate locals. Frankly, the course really needs a facelift and if The club and parks and rec were unwilling or unable to do so going around them was probably the only way to get it done.

All that being said, this is pretty much the quintessential biting the hand that feeds you scenario. Pissing the local club off is really dumb, because those are the guys who you really need in your corner to support a struggling course, they are just about the only ones that really care, so burning that bridge is a pretty terrible idea.

They really don't have a good relationship with any of the golfers in South Carolina.

No kidding. You'd think there would be a strong base in their hometown....but it's quite the opposite

So if the local club makes that kind of a good impact why is the course hurting? If people "care" so much why not try and work with salient vs being pitchfork nation?

Bottom line is Salient must have done something the current people "in charge" are missing out on if the opportunity is there to improve the course.

Just being devils advocate here not supporting one side or the other. A lot of times in disc golf though the local loud course rats "run" things with no real means. Some of the worst designed courses probably done over a case of beer lol.

Good luck trying to "work" with Salient, as they either ignore or suppress any dissenting viewpoints. But of course, they have "99.99%" positive feedback (after deleting all of the negative feedback)....

Im familiar with Salient. Cities are not in the business of disc golf. The disc golfers need to work together regardless or who knows what could happen to the relationship with parks and rec if disc golf as seen as some kind of **** show.

So if the local club makes that kind of a good impact why is the course hurting? If people "care" so much why not try and work with salient vs being pitchfork nation?

Bottom line is Salient must have done something the current people "in charge" are missing out on if the opportunity is there to improve the course.

Just being devils advocate here not supporting one side or the other. A lot of times in disc golf though the local loud course rats "run" things with no real means. Some of the worst designed courses probably done over a case of beer lol.

Idk what I think about the redesign itself but I am not a fan of the process that was used to do it. The club apparently has done a lot to clean the course and rebuild bridges after the flooding a few months back and all of a sudden someone's pulling baskets on that layout without warning. Not a good way to do things imo

The course needs some help. Absolutely. But the way that Salient is going about it is deceitful, self serving and against the ethos and spirit of disc golf.

No one was consulted. No feedback was asked for from the local club or Parks & Rec. Salient went straight to the Chamber of Commerce and was able to get this permission based on lies.

Kilgus was even quoted as saying that the city asked Salient to step in. This has proven to be yet another lie. They approached the city with lies. Said that there was no club. Made promises based on self serving ideas. Sidestepped normal procedure. Alienated the passionate locals.

So why didnt city contact the main club peeps and say hey what do you guys think?

Salient did something the club hasnt tried if it was this easy to "get in" ... yet such a big deal to "passionate" locals..hm

So why didnt city contact the main club peeps and say hey what do you guys think?

Salient did something the club hasnt tried if it was this easy to "get in" ... yet such a big deal to "passionate" locals..hm

The club has direct contact with Parks and Recreation. However they do not work through the town board. Salient went directly to the town board and proposed all the changes and updates while saying there was no local club or Disc Golf Scene at all.

The club seems to be very small maybe less than 40 members but they do exist. I do think another major issue is that salient baskets will be going into the park to replace discatchers and they have a horrible track record of holding together in that area

I can't fully answer that. But from what I can gather based on what the locals are saying is that they have the same problem as all other clubs. Parks & Rec dragging their feet...

The higher ups in the city know nothing about DG and especially nithing about the club. Salient told the city that there is no club amongst other lies. It's a blatant power move on Kilgus's part. He has a business in Orangeburg and even joined a local committee thru his business to get what HE wanted.

I was incorrect. They went through the chamber of commerce

I dunno. Sounds like a good opportunity for everyone involved to improve a course which needs it. Id spend the time trying to help vs bash Failent.

Who knows in the end players might have a better course and be able to build better relations in general as the worker bees for the DGCs.

It's hard to get Salient's point of view. They don't go on social media with their side because, just like here, as soon as they do all hell breaks loose. Which ought to tell them something.

But just as a watchful neighbor in the daylight looks like a burglar in the shadows, circumventing the locals was bound to cause trouble.

It may well be a better course when they're done---especially if Shade is doing the design. But that's beside the point. And while I don't know how much work the local club has been putting it, it seems a sure bet it'll be less from here on out.