• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient discs changing a course in Orangeburg SC

Funny how i always seem to call **** and half you dudes think im trolling. Lulz. Hope the course is better for you guys and something good can come out of salient in the area.

A couple of ours locally are as well.

Basically while I don't agree with how it was done, this could actually be a good thing for the course.

Posted on one of the Facebook's:

Let's go ahead and clear this up....A petition to stop redesign of the the Edisto Memorial Gardens disc golf course is circulating by individuals without merit. The course has been redesigned and is currently set up in the new configuration.

The facts are below and will be followed by a statement from the City of Orangeburg relaying the same sentiment in the near future.

"Salient Discs was asked to present a redesign proposal to the Chamber of Commerce and the parks dept. All changes were approved and full implantation is nearly
complete.

The reason for redesign is the area in the center of the original front nine is not playable most of the year due to flooding and has become a local hazard. A few locals (that could be found) were informed but do not have a established club registered with the city and the city has ZERO contact info for anyone that is said to be part of this "club" which makes it difficult to communicate. With that said the local course representative Tom Madsen was informed and agreed to give support where needed and Salient Discs would help reinvigorate the club with bag tags and custom stamped discs.

The locals who were not adequately active in keeping the entire course in good shape should be grateful for Salient leading the way to a course that's not under water or in soft ground and mud 9 months out of the year. The 18 current holes are the best that can be done on the property that's available.

As the original member and President of the Orangeburg Disc Golf Club, TD for past events in the area and designer of the red tees as well as the extra holes across the road near the river not one individual has dedicated more time than myself to the local course since 2003.

Petition if you want but the time, labor, and money was donated by Salient Discs after approval by the Chamber of Commerce as well as City of Orangeburg Parks & Recreation Department. We appreciate the concern but this is a local matter that has full support of the local government"

Lol....making nearly the entire thread, supposition, innuendo, conjecture, rumor mongoring and piling on Salient. Goooooooo....DGCR.

Lol....making nearly the entire thread, supposition, innuendo, conjecture, rumor mongoring and piling on Salient. Goooooooo....DGCR.

Agreed . . . that about wraps it up for me. Salient bashing is becoming commonplace . . . I sure hope they aren't as bad as everyone seems to think. I had no issue with them as a vendor . . . I just didn't believe in their product to sell so I stopped working with them.

Yeah,maybe.

But re-read the entire post. Realize it was made by Chris Kilgus, the owner of Salient Discs. There's about 50 local people on Facebook refuting his claim of being President of any club. A club he apparently founded, yet couldnt find.

It's typical Salient crap.

Agreed . . . that about wraps it up for me. Salient bashing is becoming commonplace . . . I sure hope they aren't as bad as everyone seems to think. I had no issue with them as a vendor . . . I just didn't believe in their product to sell so I stopped working with them.

Yeah thats really the biggest problem for salient. Some of their molds are actually good flying discs and i dont mind the smaller bag or shoes at all. Resale is a problem though and not sure yukin partnership on molds helped even with decent product.

Yeah,maybe.

But re-read the entire post. Realize it was made by Chris Kilgus, the owner of Salient Discs. There's about 50 local people on Facebook refuting his claim of being President of any club. A club he apparently founded, yet couldnt find.

It's typical Salient crap.

I didn't say who posted that blurb. It wasn't kilgus or any other salient employee

If Salient does create this new course will anyone that writes a review for it with a rating below four stars get banned from the course?

I haven't played there in years, but the original 18 was always a fairly good course, at least when not flooded. That said, it could be a better course with the re-design. Salient's employee is one of the course's original core club members, and he designed one of the best courses I ever played.

But they've gone about this in a terrible way.

Most of us have a course or two we love, even if it's not world class. If an outsider came in and tore it up to re-design it, without so much as a word to us locals, we'd go ballistic. And that's where the easily-found Orangeburg Disc Golf Club finds themselves.

Sure, the petition and the facebook rants may not accomplish much, other than a lot of venting. But locally, they have further sullied Salient's reputation, which was already pretty bad.

So it looks like the parks department is aware of the changes. (did we ever actually know they were being left out, or was that just internet conjecture?) I'm sure this move won't win Salient many friends, but I have little sympathy for the club in this case. If they don't have enough of a relationship with the parks department to warrant a call for advice, then that's the club's fault.

I remember playing this course last winter (as in 2015, not just this past winter) and it was pretty well taken care of to me. The fairways were tight and some of the holes were kinda funky, but overall I thought it was a good course. I might get a chance to play the new one though, as I'm going to go see my sister in Charleston later this week and the route I take passes right by the course; if nothing else I'll probably stop and take a look at what's been done. I don't really think Salient went about this the right way, as it is pretty easy to find the club and you'd have a lot more support locally in Orangeburg if you went through the club as well, but if the club doesn't have a relationship with the Parks Dept, then I suppose that there's not really much they could have done. It still sucks though, as that was a fun little course, if a bit short and congested.

Here's the exact link:

Salients Statement

Dont forget the part where they say any discussion will result in being banned. On their company website.

That's my bad. I saw it on a different facebook group and it was copy/pasted and posted by a local player I know. I didn't realize where the original statement came from

That's my bad. I saw it on a different facebook group and it was copy/pasted and posted by a local player I know. I didn't realize where the original statement came from

Edit: nevermind

Last edited:
So it looks like the parks department is aware of the changes. (did we ever actually know they were being left out, or was that just internet conjecture?) I'm sure this move won't win Salient many friends, but I have little sympathy for the club in this case. If they don't have enough of a relationship with the parks department to warrant a call for advice, then that's the club's fault.

That's what the guys in orangeburg said. Not really sure if they're being honest or not.

That's what the guys in orangeburg said. Not really sure if they're being honest or not.

Yea. My first post in this thread, where I kept ask "how can the Chamber of Commerce do this without P&R approval", was mostly my way of saying that there's no way we have the full story here.
I refused to sign or acknowledge the petition for a few reasons: (1) I've never played the course, so I don't know if it needs a redesign or not, (2) I've never had direct dealings with Salient, so I don't know if they're capable of a redesign or not, and (3) I'm sure I don't have the full story on what's going on.

Im a fan of Salient. Everyone else just likes to complain and moan, at least this guy is trying to push the sport. Im sure he made mistakes but he is doing something at least. I havnt bought any salient products but im not gonna rip someone that keeps pushing for his dream. Im sure all the hate is exagerated or he wouldnt be around anymore.

DGCR get off ur damn high horse... And my lawn

Yea. My first post in this thread, where I kept ask "how can the Chamber of Commerce do this without P&R approval", was mostly my way of saying that there's no way we have the full story here.
I refused to sign or acknowledge the petition for a few reasons: (1) I've never played the course, so I don't know if it needs a redesign or not, (2) I've never had direct dealings with Salient, so I don't know if they're capable of a redesign or not, and (3) I'm sure I don't have the full story on what's going on.

Just speculation (David, jump in if I am wrong) but I vaguely remember people (but not sure who specifically as it was at least 10 years ago) in the original Orangeburg club (Mike, Skip, Shade, etc.) mentioning having an event on the garden side across the highway where the river and azaleas are during the actual Rose Festival. Curious if there is plans for this in the future with the Innova targets if they are being taken out.