• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Diego/Morley Field

go try goat hill, curious on your opinion.

We cruised the 101 yesterday and stopped by Oceanside to check out Goat Hill. They have a pretty limited selection of discs and unfortunately their signature photo disc is the most domey floppy crappy star Roc I've ever seen. I'll probably end up breaking down and grabbing one of the CFR Glow Xcals with a Center City Goat Hill stamp on it just for a souvenir.

Weather looks ideal for playing that course today with my limited selection of discs (<10mph wind and sunny), and I convinced my woman to tag along, so we're going to hit up the course around noon today! From what I saw it looks like about what you'd expect on a ball golf course; hills, open bombers, and lots of roller opportunities! Pretty much the exact opposite of Kit Carson (though I do love the roller/dam hole at Kit!).

Josh - I am heading out to SD in Feb. Would love to hear pros and cons of the different courses you played. PM with with thumbs up or down if you do not mind. Thanks!

We cruised the 101 yesterday and stopped by Oceanside to check out Goat Hill. They have a pretty limited selection of discs and unfortunately their signature photo disc is the most domey floppy crappy star Roc I've ever seen. I'll probably end up breaking down and grabbing one of the CFR Glow Xcals with a Center City Goat Hill stamp on it just for a souvenir.

Weather looks ideal for playing that course today with my limited selection of discs (<10mph wind and sunny), and I convinced my woman to tag along, so we're going to hit up the course around noon today! From what I saw it looks like about what you'd expect on a ball golf course; hills, open bombers, and lots of roller opportunities! Pretty much the exact opposite of Kit Carson (though I do love the roller/dam hole at Kit!).

Goat Hill is one of the better designs on a ball golf course in terms of interesting shots that aren't completely flat and wide open. I recommend a cart, there are some long drives between holes that would get old if you walk.

Goat Hill is one of the better designs on a ball golf course in terms of interesting shots that aren't completely flat and wide open. I recommend a cart, there are some long drives between holes that would get old if you walk.

Good to know.

We played Goat Hill this morning from 10am-1pm. We were waiting behind a group of golfers on every tee but we were in no rush and were relaxing in our cart (yes, get a cart). My girl played every hole from the shorts with her DX stingray and had a lot of fun. It was very enjoyable.

I agree with mashnut that the course is laid out well. There are essentially no gaps to hit, but significant elevation on most holes, and interesting pin positions on sloping greens make for a lot of death putts and fun drives. If you shank a drive on some of the downhill, or valley holes, you may end up with a 2nd shot that is much more difficult than the teeshot!

The thing that stood out the most was that each hole's par was well thought out. Each hole is a potential birdie for someone with 400'+ of power. The par 3's are reachable with a good drive and all the par 4's were reasonably 3-able. I even had a 60' birdie putt on hole 1 (720' down a big hill) after a roller that ran across part of the ball golf's green and cut off to the right toward the basket, which really got me amped up to the play the rest of the course. There were a few forgettable flat par 4's (hole 9 and 10 IIRC), but those were the exception, and even those holes' pins were on sloped greens and were not gimme 3's.

I ended up shooting a 60, which is 3 under par on the card, with a Teedevil, a TB, a beat Eagle-x (roller), a Buzzz (which I don't think I even threw), and my new Ion (which I was digging). There were only a couple times I wished I had a Pred for spiking a long approach shot but I made due with the Teebird.

After the round I convinced myself to buy a Star Archon from the shop with the Goat Hill tourney stamp on it. The folks in the pro shop were real nice and chatted us up and remembered us from the day before. All in all, a great round of golf. I'm not sure I'd play it on the regular if I was a local, but I might!

After our round at Goat Hill we spent some time doing touristy things and then headed to Morley..........at 4pm :gross:

We only made it through 10 holes before it got dark and it was the biggest cluster**** I've ever seen. The disturbing part was the people there said it wasn't actually busy [we were some of the last people to tee off since it was getting late]. There were people yelling "FORE" every 30 seconds, discs flying everywhere, people walking across fairways in the line of fire. Probably the worst experience I've ever had at a disc golf course.

What I saw of the course was ok. Short holes with a lot of low ceilings and over routes for thumbers, spike hyzers, and sky rollers. Coming from Goat Hill the difference was night and day. I felt like I could kick my disc up to most of the baskets at Morley...

Our motives weren't totally to get in a full round of disc anyway. Trying to track down some friendly hippies...but we were unsuccessful. We miscalculated how much "fun" we'd be enjoying while on vacation and didn't come fully supplied :doh: We may end up heading back up there when it's less busy to see if our luck changes. Shoot me a PM if anyone wants to throw a round up there (or anywhere else for that matter) in the next couple days! :D

We're returning to the area in February and I'm excited to play some warm weather disc. Anything I should know before hitting the courses? I see Brengle Terrace was added in 2012 and gets good reviews. I still hope to get in a round or two at Morley when there is less traffic, on the roads as well as the course, and we'll likely return to Kit and Goat Hill. Info appreciated, thanks.

Brengle is probably the most technical course in the area, but the signage is still lacking. If you'd like a guide, I'd be more than happy to show you around (and point out the local brews, too).

Brengle is probably the most technical course in the area, but the signage is still lacking. If you'd like a guide, I'd be more than happy to show you around (and point out the local brews, too).

I'd meet up for rounds at Kit Carson, Brengle or Morley as well.

That'd be great. I'll bump this thread and/or shoot you guys some PMs as the date approaches. We'll be in CA from the 8th to the 16th. Haven't been able to play much since Thanksgiving. Really looking forward to some warm weather and a week off to play disc and cruise the coast :thmbup:

Only had a chance to play Morley when I was down there. Was not thrilled at all. It wasn't crowded when I played, but I could see why it could get backed up. There were a few holes that crossed over each other. So you still had to wait for people to play through on other holes.
I'm also not sure if this is a common thing down there, but there was a pack of kids stealing discs. After you would throw your drive, they would run up, grab the discs and take off! This was one of the few times it payed to play with some noobs, because we were never more than 50 to 100 ft from our discs lol. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen on a course and boy, those kids were fast!
All in all, if your pressed for time and ther are other courses around. You won't miss much if you skip Morley. IDK maybe it was because I heard how great this course was, but it did not live up to it's billing :(

Only had a chance to play Morley when I was down there. Was not thrilled at all. It wasn't crowded when I played, but I could see why it could get backed up. There were a few holes that crossed over each other. So you still had to wait for people to play through on other holes.
I'm also not sure if this is a common thing down there, but there was a pack of kids stealing discs. After you would throw your drive, they would run up, grab the discs and take off! This was one of the few times it payed to play with some noobs, because we were never more than 50 to 100 ft from our discs lol. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen on a course and boy, those kids were fast!
All in all, if your pressed for time and ther are other courses around. You won't miss much if you skip Morley. IDK maybe it was because I heard how great this course was, but it did not live up to it's billing :(

I've played Morley off and on for 10 years and I've never once seen a disc stolen or even heard about that from other people on the course. Did you talk to the guys at the pro shop about it?

I've played Morley off and on for 10 years and I've never once seen a disc stolen or even heard about that from other people on the course. Did you talk to the guys at the pro shop about it?
Ya, we were lucky. They just ran up to our discs and threw them off in another direction, but it happend to a group playing towards us. I thought they were going to do the same thing they did to us, but this time they ran up grabbed the discs and split. Can't remember the hole# but it was the hole were the basket is set up on some railroad posts pyramid style.
The dude at the pro shop was nice, but not much he could do about it. He just shrugged and chuckled.

Weird, I'll have to watch out for that next time I'm down there. I have plenty of complaints about Morley, but that's never been one of them.