• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

San Diego/Morley Field

JoshEpoo

* Ace Member *
I'll be in San Diego January 15th through the 22nd. A search of that area led me to believe there aren't many good courses other than Morley Field, which I'll try to hit up a few times while I'm there, and Sun Valley, which we may or may not play.

I'm planning on packing just a few discs, probably a Teebird, Buzzz, and Aviar. Are there any huge problems with that set up for those courses? Might throw in a Force if there is frequently a lot of wind in those parts or if big flare skips are particularly useful at Morley.

Are there any other must play, or particularly scenic, courses a little farther outside San Diego? We will have a car the whole time, and if there are any really awesome courses within an hour drive or so I might be able to convince my woman that it's worth the trip.

Thanks for any useful advice

I would try to play Morley before and after a Monday while you're there, they switch pin positions Monday mornings and you'll get to see a totally different layout.

Unfortunately we're flying in on a Sunday. I had hoped I'd get to see a couple of those pin positions, but I doubt I'll be able to get a round in that first day, particularly since I hear it's so busy on the weekends. I'll probably try to get out there in the morning a couple times during the week.

Kit Carson in Escondido is good, and Goat Hill in Oceanside is excellent. So if you have transportation and a little bit of time to get to either course, try them out. Especially Goat Hill which is one of my current favorites.

Bummer, ill be leaving for Virginia the 17th otherwise I could have shown you the few courses to play here in SD. Either way, morley is a must and kit Carson is a must play as well (i think its the more difficult course if the two). Goat hill like gcr_russell said is also great and loooong but costs over 10 to play alone..

10 minutes from kit Carson is a small 9 hole in san Marcos , montiel park. Not a must play, but it will help train your touch shots and has some nice elevation change.

There is also a brand new 18 hole course getting put in about 10 minutes from montiel park in Vista, ca. I don't know how much will be playable when you are in town (estimated time of completion is by the end of January), but if you send me a pm when you get to SD, I will try and let you know the latest/driving directions.

I'd be happy to go along with you to play these courses as long as I am available. I live near the Sun Valley course, though I only played it once (due to the cost and Morley being close enough for me).

I've not yet played Goat Hill, but it's on my bucket list. Kit Carson get another nod from me, as It's a great course filled with a variety of different holes.

Thanks for the info. I'll hit up Morley and Kit Carson once or twice. I'm interested in Goat Hill, but convincing my woman to play such a taxing course will be nigh impossible. I'll bring a couple more discs for rollers and max distance, just in case ;) Maybe the opportunity to sneak away for half a day and get a round in will present itself.

Sun Valley will go on the maybe list. I'd like to play as many courses as possible but it's not really a disc golf vacation. Gotta squeeze the rounds in when I can.

^They have golf carts so even though it's the 2nd longest course in the world, it's not THAT taxing!

^They have golf carts so even though it's the 2nd longest course in the world, it's not THAT taxing!

I'll be getting one if I play. Still, Goat Hill is probably a bit too demanding for my girl. She's not used to that type of length or elevation and would be sore for days afterwards. I don't need to listen to that while we're on vacation.

I'll be getting one if I play. Still, Goat Hill is probably a bit too demanding for my girl. She's not used to that type of length or elevation and would be sore for days afterwards. I don't need to listen to that while we're on vacation.

The first time I played the wife came along. I let her drive the cart, and she decided to play just a couple holes for fun, but not too much as its way way way way out of her skill level. She didnt mind relaxing in the cart and now it is my favorite course in the area for sure. If its at all possible you dont want to miss Goat Hill.

If you somehow end up in the Los Angeles area, hit me up!
And I'll see if I can somehow make it down that way... I've yet to play Goat Hill.

Flew in to San Diego yesterday. Turns out our condo is in Solana Beach right on the ocean, which is smack dab in the middle of the 3 courses I wanted to play: Goat Hill, Kit Carson, and Morley.

We stopped by Kit Carson on our joy ride and walked the back 13 holes or w/e and holy crap was it busy. Tons of disc golfers and other random park patrons mulling about (lots of big groups/families of Mexicans partying it up, something we don't see in MN!). Probably try to get in a round or two there tomorrow when all the kiddies are in school.

Unfortunately I picked up a cold like two days before our vacation but I'm feeling better this morning. Gonna hit up Goat Hill on Wednesday and then probably Morley on Friday. I only brought 4 discs for myself (Fresh Teebird, beat Eagle, Buzzz, and a Wizard) so I might pick up another disc for Goat Hill. Where is the best disc shop around here? I heard Goat Hill sells souvenir discs, one of which I'll probably pick up, but I'm not sure if they have a good selection or not!

Thanks for any suggestions.

Morley's pro shop has good selection but their prices are pretty high. I've heard good things about the shop at Kit Carson but it wasn't open when I played.

FYI Morley will likely be packed, as I am sure you have heard. Give yourself some time when you head there. Great course for line shaping.

Kit Carson has a pro shop across the street from the practice baskets. Their stock is mostly innova, but they carry discraft, lat64, westside, discmania, MVP, and a few gateway putters. I live in escondido, so if you want a guide or someone to play with, hit me up.

Thanks for the tips. We played a quick TB/Buzzz/Wizard round at Kit today. It was a little rainy and I didn't notice the pro shop. Fun course and a nice birdie fest. Shot a 49 and navigated the course easily with the help of some locals. I'll be back to check out the shop and throw another 36 holes tomorrow mornin!

Found a couple blank white opaque max weight Ions (1 floppy soft, 1 flexy medium) at the Kit Carson pro shop and picked 'em up.

The guy working was kinda funny. I asked how much for MVP discs and he says $17, so I'm like, ok. Bring the Ions up and he says, "Oh THOSE MVP discs. They don't make those anymore! $20!". Turns out it was only like 50 cents more than regular price after tax but it was good for a laugh...

Looking forward to the Anode release now!