• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Seeking mega floppy driver

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
I played college football back in my younger years and I can throw a disc like a football and it lands in the same 10ft circle every throw. Same exact distance and flight every time.
The problem is that with the way the discs land, they often pop up and roll away.
Is there a floppy lower speed driver that will taco on impact? The valkyrie and teebird work best for me as the rim is thinner than most high speed drivers.

One dude in our league had a couple super floppy discs including a driver. Was one of the oddball boutique brands, maybe EV7?

How stiff/floppy were those old aerobie epics? I know people talked of "tuning" the disc by bending manually.

If all you're throwing is overhand, may be worth the effort/expense of tracking one down, IIRC. :)

https://www.elevationdiscs.com

My buddy has on of ^their discs and it's super soft like a Letterkenny birthday party.

How stiff/floppy were those old aerobie epics? I know people talked of "tuning" the disc by bending manually.

If all you're throwing is overhand, may be worth the effort/expense of tracking one down, IIRC. :)

Not soft, just malleable like certain runs of DX you've encountered in the past. They're OOP so quite hard to find in good condition...they do bomb overhand though lol

They were unfortunately not floppy just really malleable.

As a decades-long thumber-thrower, the soft ones are a not a great idea.
First, softer discs tend to pop up and roll worse than the stiffer runs. Don't ask me why, they just do. Thumbers by nature are a little less consistent in how they land, but stiff ones are easier to control as far as the landing, in my experience.
Second, floppy discs will change flight characteristics pretty quickly if you throw them a lot. One week they'll be solid and a few weeks later they'll be much less consistent/predictable.
But hey, give it a shot. Your results may be different.

As far Aerobie Epics go, a few cautionary words.
They're hard to find and OOP and expensive. They have something like a 12-speed rim at the narrowest point, which is hard to grip as a hook-thumber for most people. Last, they are a distance disc and I've only seen them work well as a thumber for cannon-like arm-speed. But YMMv.

If you have money to burn, then Vibram Soft X-Link is a good "plastic" choice.

You can ball them up easy. They made Soft in almost every disc they made....back in the day.

I used to have a vibram x-link soft notch that was fantastic for exactly this. And a soft solace for spike hyzers. Super foldable and would collapse into a little taco when they hit, then pop back up like a spring. On grass and other slow fairways/greens it was great. Any hardpan, rock, short clipped grass like golf fairways, etc, it was amazing how often it rolled away after landing. I think that softness/floppiness was a blessing and a curse, and would required good knowledge of how the ground would affect landing/rollaway to utilize properly. For thumbers they could also be hard to release consistently due to that squishiness in the rim. Generally, I wouldn't be surprised if just continuing to learn about and strategize for ground play was more effective for you than a super floppy disc, but I haven't thrown any of those silicone discs others have mentioned in this thread, and they may be perfect for that hit and sit play.

FYI that Elevation company I linked is foldable. Fit in your front pocket style, all while not being OOP Vibram prices:)

Grip called it.

Elevation discs "Binx" fits your description perfectly. Its fairway driver speed like a Valk/TBird and floppy AF. I mean, roll it up, use it for a straw - Origami that thing. w/e.

I would call it _too_ flexible, but if you can thumb this thing consistently, it will probably do exactly what you want when it lands.

My opinion of the Elevation rubber is that it is more floppy than Vibram. If I can remember when I get home I'll grab on of each.

Latest posts