• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

#5 Creekside:
zJLdUa0h.jpg

#15 Creekside, sorry you can't see the basket:
yFUpDXsh.jpg

Two of my personal victories this weekend were parking 5 with a dx valk and then parking 15 with a dx leopard roller. Of course, the roller was bs, but when my opponent congratulated me I thanked her or recognizing my "skill." ;-)

I'm super melancholy that, due to the conditions, folks didn't get to experience Selah in all its magnificent glory this weekend. If one were trying to cook up the worst of conditions in order to punish wicked little disc golfers, these would have been perfect. :thmbup:

And discounts are not asked for all the time. When I pick up drycleaning I don't ask for a discount. Then I go buy gas, I do not ask for a discount. Go to a fast food joint, I do not ask for a discount. Go buy a pair of shoes, do not ask for one there either. If someone askes for a discount everywhere they go, they are a cheapskate and a tool in my opinion. If you have a coupon that is one thing, but just asking out of the blue, is bad manners and very rude. As a matter of fact on all paid vacations I have been on, it is common to tip the employees.
Usually I agree with the part of your quote I italicized. On the other hand, I managed a bar in college and people asked for free drinks all the time, and even received them occasionally . I worked in a hotel for a little while. Guests would ask if free upgrades were available every day, and we granted them under certain circumstances. My buddy's mom works for an airline and gives out free upgrades to first class when they're available. Golf courses offer discounted rates to fill tee times all the time. Someone who expects discounts all the time is a tool. But there's no harm in asking for a discount in certain circumstances. Do you pay full sticker price when you buy a car, or do you ask for a discount?

Ok, I'm bowing out of this thread. I didn't mean to raise a ruckus, I just felt like maybe the community shouldn't have been jumping down Ambroze's throat for daring to post a negative comment about Selah. I did email Dave a link to the thread in case he'd like to respond. Back to discussion about what looks like an awesome course.

Ok, I'm bowing out of this thread. I didn't mean to raise a ruckus, I just felt like maybe the community shouldn't have been jumping down Ambroze's throat for daring to post a negative comment about Selah. I did email Dave a link to the thread in case he'd like to respond. Back to discussion about what looks like an awesome course.

A psalmist might summarize this post in one word:

Selah

As I read the email from Dave, I'm nodding my head in agreement with everything he wrote.

I've noticed that the people complaining about it have never met Dave, nor been to the ranch. Those that have been there, and met him, are quick to defend his position.

If you think the price it too high, don't go. That's pretty simple.

Puckstopper... you can LaDeDa all you want about taxes. Taxes on a 1000 acre ranch with multiple buildings is extremely high. Most courses are on public park land, paid for by the taxes we all pay (including a lot from Dave). Private courses that charge little to nothing are providing a charity to disc golfers. I would hope we disc golfers wouldn't feel entitled to use of private property for little or nothing.

Dave doesn't graze his livestock on the courses. That's quite a bit of prime ranch land sacrificed for them. Charging for the land use is fair. Considering how few people play the courses each day, the fee is extremely reasonable.

Dave works hard to keep the courses as nice as they are. Mowing, tree trimming and trash removal on these courses have to be very expensive, considering diesel fuel is around 4 bucks a gallon. Flip city is certainly an oddity for a private course. I would hope people would contribute more than a dollar per round considering the cost of upkeep.

If it was my ranch and I worked as hard as Dave does on it (I don't think I would work that hard), I would charge a pain in the a** fee for certain people. If they didn't want to pay it... I'd be glad they weren't on my property and I didn't have to deal with them. There are way too many people in this world that want to have a good time without looking for something to complain about.

From my experience at Selah Ranch, the fees were on the low end. I look forward to paying for the privilege of playing there again.

And discounts are not asked for all the time. When I pick up drycleaning I don't ask for a discount. Then I go buy gas, I do not ask for a discount. Go to a fast food joint, I do not ask for a discount. Go buy a pair of shoes, do not ask for one there either. If someone askes for a discount everywhere they go, they are a cheapskate and a tool in my opinion. If you have a coupon that is one thing, but just asking out of the blue, is bad manners and very rude. As a matter of fact on all paid vacations I have been on, it is common to tip the employees.

Where does anyone get that I asked for a DISCOUNT?

I said this: Well the ALL DAY green fee is $20 and $30 to rent the cart based on this site so I thought I would check and see if since I was playing 1 course with my family if basically that price was going to really be $50.

I mentioned that I would be driving through the area and would not be able to basically take advantage of everything that was offered and if I was only able to play 1 course would it really be $50?

Usually I agree with the part of your quote I italicized. On the other hand, I managed a bar in college and people asked for free drinks all the time, and even received them occasionally . I worked in a hotel for a little while. Guests would ask if free upgrades were available every day, and we granted them under certain circumstances. My buddy's mom works for an airline and gives out free upgrades to first class when they're available. Golf courses offer discounted rates to fill tee times all the time. Someone who expects discounts all the time is a tool. But there's no harm in asking for a discount in certain circumstances. Do you pay full sticker price when you buy a car, or do you ask for a discount?

All these examples are discounts that have been earned from prior stays or flights. Not the same thing. And no ball golf course has ever given me a discount over the phone unless I have a discount code from an email they sent me for being registered with the course. If you just call for a tee time, you are paying full price..
Hey, why don't you come out and play 1 of his disc courses for $20.00 or $30.00 and take a chance on ruining one of his $3000 golf carts, and let him be liable for any injuries you may incur while you are on his property. Sounds like great business sense to me. Well worth $5.00/ hour for the staff at Selah. And while you are there, make sure you bring all your food and drinks so they will make no money selling any of those things either.

Where does anyone get that I asked for a DISCOUNT?

I said this: Well the ALL DAY green fee is $20 and $30 to rent the cart based on this site so I thought I would check and see if since I was playing 1 course with my family if basically that price was going to really be $50.

I mentioned that I would be driving through the area and would not be able to basically take advantage of everything that was offered and if I was only able to play 1 course would it really be $50?

Guess you just thought Dave was kidding when he posted his prices or thought they were open for discussion... :wall:

Done with this. You either get it or you don't.

Two of my personal victories this weekend were parking 5 with a dx valk and then parking 15 with a dx leopard roller. Of course, the roller was bs, but when my opponent congratulated me I thanked her or recognizing my "skill." ;-)

I'm super melancholy that, due to the conditions, folks didn't get to experience Selah in all its magnificent glory this weekend. If one were trying to cook up the worst of conditions in order to punish wicked little disc golfers, these would have been perfect. :thmbup:

Both impressive birds:thmbup:how did you get 5? Anny? Forehand?

As someone who is not a big fan of the "religious retreat" aspect of this property, nor the owners' intolerance of otherwise free speech that doesn't conform to the strictures of their scriptures, nor the intolerance regarding otherwise legal alcohol consumption, I still have a difficult time faulting the owners for insisting on charging the same daily fee to everyone. I may not stay on the property when I visit, but that's my prerogative. Charging a price that almost makes it worth coming down to the pro shop and opening it up? That's Dave's.

Guess you just thought Dave was kidding when he posted his prices or thought they were open for discussion... :wall:

Done with this. You either get it or you don't.

Don't be a child with that worthless come back comment. I never said that I thought anyone was kidding about anything. I was simply asking a question. I guess you can't keep up with logic.

Don't be a child with that worthless come back comment. I never said that I thought anyone was kidding about anything. I was simply asking a question. I guess you can't keep up with logic.

Go to an all you can eat and say that you are not that hungry... so can I get a discount? Go play a free course so you can save your money with which you can stuff your pillows. I bet you ask the pizza delivery guy/gal if the tip is already included in the price.:wall::sick::mad:

As someone who is not a big fan of the "religious retreat" aspect of this property, nor the owners' intolerance of otherwise free speech that doesn't conform to the strictures of their scriptures, nor the intolerance regarding otherwise legal alcohol consumption, I still have a difficult time faulting the owners for insisting on charging the same daily fee to everyone. I may not stay on the property when I visit, but that's my prerogative. Charging a price that almost makes it worth coming down to the pro shop and opening it up? That's Dave's.

What free speech are you talking about? Were you trying to give some type of speech or presentation at HIS business? Don't call someone intolerant without explaining.:confused:

I think it's pretty common for ball golf courses to offer "twilight rates". I know of one that discounts fees at 2pm and then further at 5pm. Twilight rates might be something Selah wants to consider. It might not have helped ambroze in this situation, but it might help someone else.

Wow, that's absurdly arrogant. I'll play Flip for a buck, and enjoy a experience every bit as good.

I have never played Flip and given Bill less than 10.00. I consider it a donation course and I am more than willing to drop some coin to play one of the nicest disc golf experiences around.

What free speech are you talking about? Were you trying to give some type of speech or presentation at HIS business? Don't call someone intolerant without explaining.:confused:

I didn't see it myself or hear it first hand, but I heard about the owners being pretty unhappy about all the "foul language" they heard from players at the clubhouse between rounds. Don't get me wrong. I watch my language when required, including during sanctioned rounds of golf. But if you're going to relax your rules to serve alcohol and allow smoking on the property between rounds, people are going to let their hair down.

I was trying to sort through these post. The 30 dollar cart fee....is that mandatory? Or can you walk the course. I prefer to walk and enjoy nature. For those who have played it, it's pretty walkable right? Not like each course will cover 5 miles or anything like that right lol