• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

Ok, let's get to the important stuff. When is the best time for a road trip to Selah? Preferably the fewest snakes and beast weather? I have lots of vacation time, and a need to play some courses. Poorly. How's September? Still too hot, or not bad?

September will still be hot. October is better. I went last Oct/Nov and it was great. Going again in late May this year. Will probably be too hot by then but we will still enjoy it.

I'm a life long Texan, so... take this with that in mind.

You will encounter less chances of rain in September over October and November. It is hotter, but it isn't July and August "blast furnace" heat.

Snakes aren't a big deal in Texas. If you don't step on them, you'll be OK. All Texans watch where they step. You won't have a problem in the golf carts. I saw zero snakes last time I was at Selah. That said, they are useful to the ranch. If you see one, just walk around it. In that part of Texas, it probably won't be poisonous anyway... unless you're in the water.

Only my discs will go in the water. I don't mind heat, but don't want a week of 100 degree plus brutality. Plus it would be nice to enjoy a fire and some freshly cooked food.

I KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH REPTILES ANYWAY! :cool:

We do play a mando (left) during tournaments to force shots over the water (or to lay up by the short tee). Obviously part of the idea is to keep people off the #1 fairway, which also is the idea behind the mando on #1.

Well I'll be. I didn't know there was a mando on #1. I probably played the wrong side of it in my singles round.

Very excited to make it out here next week with my brother. Coming all the way from PA. Do you have to call to reserve a spot or can you simply show up? Also, can you order some food from the Inn in between rounds?

I know this isn't about Selah, but shouldn't there be a similar Mando on #18 at Texas Twist?

At doubles my team was able to throw a hyzer almost directly right off of the teepad, into the grassy field. Left for a long, but wide open 2nd shot towards the green.

That mando is there now. One on each side, actually.

Well I'll be. I didn't know there was a mando on #1. I probably played the wrong side of it in my singles round.

That one is actually on the tee sign, and there is a 4x4 in the ground. It's very close to the 18 tee, and it's to prevent hyzers out over the water.

Doesn't your arm ever get tired from all those hyzers?

Only my discs will go in the water. I don't mind heat, but don't want a week of 100 degree plus brutality. Plus it would be nice to enjoy a fire and some freshly cooked food.

I KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH REPTILES ANYWAY! :cool:

Sloppy, September can still be 100, but you never know. Wouldn't schedule for the last week in September -- that is Texas Teams weekend this year.

October should be great, though last year we had near-record rain. But that was only because Texas Teams was coming up in November, and the weather man apparently didn't want us working on the Trey courses.

That one is actually on the tee sign, and there is a 4x4 in the ground. It's very close to the 18 tee, and it's to prevent hyzers out over the water.

Doesn't your arm ever get tired from all those hyzers?

Speaking of which, our group was all hyzer all the time on Creek #13 Long Tee. Oh, and somebody noticed a sneaky back-of-the-pad hyzer on Creek #11 Short Tee. It worked GREAT. Although maybe it closes up once the leaves come out.

We lost discs in the water on every obvious water hole (including Lakeside #15), but we also lost discs in the water on these "strange" ones:

Lakeside #3 - And ill-advised and partially frustrated mullie into a strong head- or head-right wind, turns over and floats out to sea.

Creekside #9 - I think this was a drive from the Short Tee. Strong right-to-left wind, blown left into the woods somewhere just short of the pin (we think). Unable to find it, we're thinking it was in the water.

Creekside #12 - A drive got a little high-right and kicked off the big trunk that is just off the Long Tee, perfectly into the creek.

We lost discs in the water on every obvious water hole (including Lakeside #15), but we also lost discs in the water on these "strange" ones:

Lakeside #3 - And ill-advised and partially frustrated mullie into a strong head- or head-right wind, turns over and floats out to sea.

Creekside #9 - I think this was a drive from the Short Tee. Strong right-to-left wind, blown left into the woods somewhere just short of the pin (we think). Unable to find it, we're thinking it was in the water.

Creekside #12 - A drive got a little high-right and kicked off the big trunk that is just off the Long Tee, perfectly into the creek.

You guys are awesome.

Lakeside #3 -- I always knew it was possible, but in my heart I didn't ever really think it would happen. Thanks for letting me know. You can e-mail me the name of the thrower. That is a very special achievement.

You guys are awesome.

Lakeside #3 -- I always knew it was possible, but in my heart I didn't ever really think it would happen. Thanks for letting me know. You can e-mail me the name of the thrower. That is a very special achievement.

It rhymes with Hike Marvey. And it was a Roc. WHHHHYYYYY!?!?!?!!?!!!!

Oh hey, that reminds me --- we couldn't figure out why across the creek on Creek #10 is OB (specifically short of the pin-insula. Except that there's no bridge so it takes a really long time to get over there -- and you have to walk up #9's fairway.

I don't know -- maybe I'm crazy -- but it's almost a BETTER hole if you allow that to be in-bounds. Maybe build a bridge and take down some trees/branches to create a legit entry to the pin from that angle?

(We had a guy who had never played Selah before. After throwing his drive down the right side (toward-ish the short tee), he thought he was SUPPOSED to be aiming across the creek on his 2nd, and threw there.)

Thoughts?

486ebede.jpg

Hector Chain, just read your review of Lakeside. Nice note on the #11 tee sign -- it's obviously a Par 3 hole. I'd never noticed the sign mistake before.

c15aec49.jpg

Oh hey, that reminds me --- we couldn't figure out why across the creek on Creek #10 is OB (specifically short of the pin-insula. Except that there's no bridge so it takes a really long time to get over there -- and you have to walk up #9's fairway.

I don't know -- maybe I'm crazy -- but it's almost a BETTER hole if you allow that to be in-bounds. Maybe build a bridge and take down some trees/branches to create a legit entry to the pin from that angle?

(We had a guy who had never played Selah before. After throwing his drive down the right side (toward-ish the short tee), he thought he was SUPPOSED to be aiming across the creek on his 2nd, and threw there.)

Thoughts?

486ebede.jpg

Another bad hole in my opinion, so called lines on the left are non-existant, that side is throw and pray. The outside right route is there but then that kind of wastes a great piece of property.

Latest posts