• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Sell me on a Proto XT Colt replacement

Have you tried the Magic before? It's shallow and straight.

I actually used magics for putting for a year or so when I was pretty new to disc golf. I suppose the magic is sort of shallow but my problem with driving it has more to do with the high shoulder than the actual depth in that case. Aviar Pandas aren't that deep either but that high shoulder throws me off. I have a few magics in the garage I could dig out but I don't have high expectations for my ability with them off the tee.

I want through this exact situation. The best solution I have come up with is to start cycling Breakers. I have been throwing Classic Rocs for years, but they OOPd then and started making the Colts. I liked the Colts but they didn't hold up well enough, so I tried a bunch of stuff in this thread and eventually settled in the Breaker. Small diameter, shallow, beaded, and slightly overstable. You can also get them in SP line for true overstable, which is nice.

I know hugheshilton has rejected this idea, but this thread gott me thinking about Proto-Colts and Star Studs. So when I went to the course today, which I literally had to myself in this heat and humidity, I did some direct comparison approaches with my XT Proto Colt, Star Stud, and Fuzion Warden.

The XT was nice and grippy in the heat and humidity, while the Star Stud was a bit more slick in my grip. Both flew very well for me and almost identically. I even got a "dot" (i.e. hit the pole under the basket) from 150 ft. out with the Star Stud. The XT proto Colt also did well, flying fast low lines and seeking out the basket like a missile. I had some great throws with it, but I know that XT will break in to understability :(.

So I'm rethinking returning the Star Stud to status as my "go to" approach disc when i don't need the overstability of the Harp...

Last edited:
I know hugheshilton has rejected this idea, but this thread gott me thinking about Proto-Colts and Star Studs. So when I went to the course today, which I literally had to myself in this heat and humidity, I did some direct comparison approaches with my XT Proto Colt, Star Stud, and Fuzion Warden.

The XT was nice and grippy in the heat and humidity, while the Star Stud was a bit more slick in my grip. Both flew very well for me and almost identically. I even got a "dot" (i.e. hit the pole under the basket) from 150 ft. out with the Star Stud. The XT proto Colt also did well, flying fast low lines and seeking out the basket like a missile. I had some great throws with it, but I know that XT will break in to understability :(.

So I'm rethinking returning the Star Stud to status as my "go to" approach disc when i don't need the overstability of the Harp...

Hey everybody's gotta figure out what works for them. If the Star Stud is doing it for you on the approaches that's great. I might feel up some Studs next time I'm in a store that carries them, but I won't order any more online. The ones I got the first time I did that were quite domey. I recall them as feeling quite slow and overstable compared to the proto Colts. I already have Pigs for upshots and drives where I want overstability and distance control, and the Studs I had seemed more similar to a Pig than a proto Colt. Then again, others on here complained that their Studs weren't overstable enough and were flipping at high speed, which also gave me pause when I thought of buying more of them.

Hey everybody's gotta figure out what works for them. If the Star Stud is doing it for you on the approaches that's great. I might feel up some Studs next time I'm in a store that carries them, but I won't order any more online. The ones I got the first time I did that were quite domey. I recall them as feeling quite slow and overstable compared to the proto Colts. I already have Pigs for upshots and drives where I want overstability and distance control, and the Studs I had seemed more similar to a Pig than a proto Colt. Then again, others on here complained that their Studs weren't overstable enough and were flipping at high speed, which also gave me pause when I thought of buying more of them.

My Star Studs are not domey and they are not very overstable, certainly not like my Harps. And I use my Star Studs for turnover shots on a couple of holes on my home course, and it's awesome for a downhill dogleg-right hole about 220 ft. long. Check out the more recent batches and see if they're not as domey as earlier runs...

Update: I lost my last fresh Proto XT Colt during the first day of a tournament this last weekend so I had to make a call on a replacement earlier than I had anticipated. Thankfully I had already gotten a Firm Atom, S Chief, and X Soft Ringer to test and I really like all 3 of them. For the moment, the Atom is on trial as the replacement. The ringer was just slightly too overstable (although it had the closest feel in the hand), and the Chief was just slightly understable (although I could definitely make it work the same lines with a slight hyzer). The Atom isn't a perfect replacement in that the hand-feel is just a little deeper than the proto Colts (closer to a production Colt). However, it does fly very similar lines. I'm not sure if it's quite as long, but good enough for now. We'll see how it flies as it seasons in.

Update: I lost my last fresh Proto XT Colt during the first day of a tournament this last weekend so I had to make a call on a replacement earlier than I had anticipated. Thankfully I had already gotten a Firm Atom, S Chief, and X Soft Ringer to test and I really like all 3 of them. For the moment, the Atom is on trial as the replacement. The ringer was just slightly too overstable (although it had the closest feel in the hand), and the Chief was just slightly understable (although I could definitely make it work the same lines with a slight hyzer). The Atom isn't a perfect replacement in that the hand-feel is just a little deeper than the proto Colts (closer to a production Colt). However, it does fly very similar lines. I'm not sure if it's quite as long, but good enough for now. We'll see how it flies as it seasons in.

An Atom can go further than most mids....im sure youll be fine with it