• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Sell me on a Proto XT Colt replacement

I would give the Soft Shaman a shot, feels like the super flat proto colts, just in a stiffer plastic. It is a pretty straight shallow putter that I feel could work, they have a similar flight rating to the colt if I'm not mistaken.

What is the stability like on Shamans? The Colt's flight numbers of -1, 1 weren't really accurate for the protos which were quite a bit more high speed stable. I haven't thrown a Chief or a Shaman, but given that the Chief is supposed to be the more stable of the two I was thinking that would be closer to the proto Colts than the Shaman.

What about a Whale? It's basically a VTech BB Aviar, but it's quite comfy in hand. Not necessarily what I'd call Colt shallow though. Manages to not feel Aviar deep either though.

What about a Whale? It's basically a VTech BB Aviar, but it's quite comfy in hand. Not necessarily what I'd call Colt shallow though. Manages to not feel Aviar deep either though.

Hmm, the only Whales I've thrown were the early Ice Bowl XT ones and they felt very deep in my hand with a high shoulder. As you say, they're similar to BB Aviars, which are too deep for me to get consistent releases driving.

Classic Roc fits that criteria. It really is a Roc putter.

This was my first thought. I've heard from someone who bags CR's that the Colt was basically trying to fill the same slot: Shallow, beaded, stable, and fast (for a putter).

However, with the Classic Roc out of regular production, they are getting pricier and tougher to find. Just taking a quick look at eBay, it would be easier and cheaper to just stock up on the first run Colts that you already know you like.

I really like Atoms, and firm electron is one of my favorite blends out there, but this won't have any forward fade. It's straight out of the box.

I'd say Ringer/Breaker, but the production plastics they have for Ringers won't last any longer than your XTs, and an SP or Pro Breaker might be more OS than you're looking for. They have a very similar grip and profile though as you Colts, though....

Innova Star Stud, straight flight with reliable fade.
I have a couple and they remind me of a fresh Proto Colt.
Same feel, very similar flight.

Ever try a dx Aviar3 yet?

I have not, but that's an interesting thought. I've got a Star Aviar3. While it's definitely shallow enough to be comfortable, it's also way too overstable for the slot I want to fill. Can anyone speak to the DX Aviar3 stability? Are they significantly less stable than the Stars? As they beat in, do they lose some of their fade before they start turning?

I'd say a chief os. When I got mine, the first thing I noticed was how it flew similar to a fresh colt. They're called 'os', but take my word for it, there's nothing overstable about them. They should have called it chief stable, lol. Seriously though, they're pretty good for a colt replacement. They season in nice and develop a tad bit of turn, getting it to that -1 1 flight the colt has.

I would agree that the Chief OS would be a close fit. Might take a few rounds to settle in to the stability of a fresh Colt. I also love those prototype DX and XT Colts. Thankfully I have a huge stash to last me a while.

Chief does nothing for me, same with ringer. Neither do what the Colt does. I think the winner here is the Atom.

So below is my current list of putters to audition. I've divided them into first and second tiers. I'll audition those in the first tier first and if none of them work out, I might audition some of the second tier. The only disc in the first tier that wasn't suggested in this thread is the Suspect. I remember trying a Fuzion Suspect a while ago, and it felt a bit like a tweener mold speed-wise and pretty shallow. If Classic is a little less overstable than Fuzion then it might be a pretty good fit. I also put the Prodigy A series in the second tier.

First Tier:
Atom (Electron hard)
Chief (Sure Grip)
Chief OS (Sure Grip)
Ringer (Soft X)
Aviar3 (DX)
Suspect (Classic)

Second Tier:
Reko (K3)
Classic Roc (DX)
Pilot (Electron Hard)
Prodigy A series (A2 - A4) (300S or 350G)
Stud (DX)

Suspect is WAY to OS to fill in for a proto XT Colt. Just go ahead and bump that off your list and move the Reko up where it belongs. ;)

Also the A2 and A3 will be WAY too OS also. Not sure about the A4 but pretty sure it's not like any Colt.

Chief does nothing for me, same with ringer. Neither do what the Colt does. I think the winner here is the Atom.
The Chief and Ringer are closer to the "proto" Colt the OP described. HSS 0, LSS 1.5
Atoms (especially in Electron) turn with any power behind them, with no forward fade. My buddy uses them for half the holes at my weekly, and without backing off/putting some height on them, these things finish dead straight or in the turn.

The Chief and Ringer have the same profile as a Colt (minus the V-tech), so bagging one as a compliment makes more sense to me.

The Chief and Ringer are closer to the "proto" Colt the OP described. HSS 0, LSS 1.5
Atoms (especially in Electron) turn with any power behind them, with no forward fade. My buddy uses them for half the holes at my weekly, and without backing off/putting some height on them, these things finish dead straight or in the turn.

The Chief and Ringer have the same profile as a Colt (minus the V-tech), so bagging one as a compliment makes more sense to me.

Couldn't disagree more. Chief and ringer are true overstable unless you are an OAT monster. Proto colts are straight stable. I moved on to an electron atom and they certainly do not flip for me on a full rip.

If you are thinking chief or ringer may as well jump straight to the pro d zone, it does baseline overstable better than either.

I don't get the Chief or Ringer (Breaker) suggestions at all... Not really even in the same class of disc.

Can't speak for the Chief, but being in the same position as the OP, I have quite easily switched from Proto Colt XT's to Ringers.
I carry a DX for straight drives, Soft X for no-skip approaches, and a Cryztal FLX for forehands, reliable fade and wind. The FLX is OOP, too bad, it's a great disc..
The DX Ringer will be more stable "out of the box", but beats into straight, rather than beating in to flippy.

Of course, YMMV.

Latest posts