• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should top of the basket count?

Should a disc that come to rest on top of the basket count as in?

• Total voters
Rules change as sports evolve. It used to be illegal for the puck to come off of the ice in hockey. Women used to play basketball half court. Forward passes used to not be allowed in football. Doing things based on tradition probably causes more harm than good in this world, yet is looked upon as honorable.
BTW, I was providing a history lesson not agreeing with the current practice one way or the other. If I could wave a magic wand, discs wouldn't be able to stick in the sides of baskets so we wouldn't even need a discussion about whether shots on top should count.

If we really wanted to make the sport more challenging, we would eliminate the chain support completely and just have an open basket for holing out like an elevated ball golf hole. Then wedgies could count and there wouldn't be any such thing as DROT because a disc coming down from a steep angle would either have gone in or just missed.

It would make life simpler if it did count but it would go against the history of our game. When the basket was designed, it was a representation of the original target which was a tree with two bands of tape wrapped around it. If your disc hit the tape or between the tape, you had holed out.

I've always wondered how well this actually worked. It seems like any time you were further than 20ft away it could be contentious whether it hit the tape or just above or below.

If we really wanted to make the sport more challenging, we would eliminate the chain support completely and just have an open basket for holing out like an elevated ball golf hole. Then wedgies could count and there wouldn't be any such thing as DROT because a disc coming down from a steep angle would either have gone in or just missed.

I agree, but I think we all know part of the thrill of the sport is the sound of the chains:D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc
It would make life simpler if it did count but it would go against the history of our game. When the basket was designed, it was a representation of the original target which was a tree with two bands of tape wrapped around it. If your disc hit the tape or between the tape, you had holed out.

I've always wondered how well this actually worked. It seems like any time you were further than 20ft away it could be contentious whether it hit the tape or just above or below.
That's what triggered the invention of the basket - to eliminate arguments about hitting the target or not. If the sport was invented more recently, perhaps we might have pole targets with sensors in them that would light if a disc touched them. Then, just like the Clapper device on TV, a player would clap loudly to reset the sensor light to wait for the next player's throw. :D

(or maybe it would just reset after 10 seconds)

I think at least some part of the disc has to be in the basket, wedge shots when you look at it are partially in the basket or across the goal line. top of the basket is another preposition altogether now. plus played many courses with number markers on top of basket and have hit those with gumbputt numerous time and they stick on top...agree if start counting that **** better specification on basket design are needed but already expensive enough for any baskets.

Nope and I did it for the fist time today . . . it is not the intent of the throw so it shuldnt count

I guess I am in the minority on this one, because I have had my disc land on top of the basket twice. It rarely happens, so that is why I don't think it would be that big of a deal if it counted.

I guess I am in the minority on this one, because I have had my disc land on top of the basket twice. It rarely happens, so that is why I don't think it would be that big of a deal if it counted.

its happened a few times to me as well and made me lose a hole, and its happened to others and i won the hole. so it all evens out.

There should be a compromise, The basket should have an opening at the top. The ring on top will still support the chains, but if there was an opening on the top a disc that hits just right would sink into the chains and be counted. Not deep, just deep enough that if the disc falls jusat right it will stick in like one or two inches and count. Anyone aiming for the top would still be subject to hitting the rim and bouncing off, this would just allow for a second option if you hit the top perfectly.

There should be a compromise, The basket should have an opening at the top. The ring on top will still support the chains, but if there was an opening on the top a disc that hits just right would sink into the chains and be counted. Not deep, just deep enough that if the disc falls jusat right it will stick in like one or two inches and count. Anyone aiming for the top would still be subject to hitting the rim and bouncing off, this would just allow for a second option if you hit the top perfectly.

i have seen a disc fall in ffom the top

You're not aiming for the top. Adding that to what is counted in would just be making it easier. Eventually it would be, "I hit metal, that counts."

Everyone who thinks it should count seems to be missing the point you are never intending to bring the disc in from the top. You know the best way to get the disc in the basket is to hit the chains and let if fall down. Why would you think you deserve the shot if it doesnt go in the intended way . . . no way anyone would ever try and land the disc on top . . . now if you want to start a league that you only hole out when the disc rests on top that would be a different game altogether!