• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should top of the basket count?

Should a disc that come to rest on top of the basket count as in?

• Total voters
Of course it should count. "Supported by the basket, not touching the ground," is a way better rule than "Supported by the basket or chains but not the top for some reason." There is no valid reason for it not to count. Tradition is not a valid reason.

Intent doesn't matter either. Should you have to call every single shot you make so everyone is sure that the disc is doing what you intended?

Yes it should count. And yes I have actually intended to get it on top of the basket. I had an obstacle in my way and the only way to the basket was from above. This wasn't in tourney play, just rec.

It should count the same way a ball bouncing fair then over the fence should be a home run in baseball. Wait! It isn't because the rules call it a ground rule double. ;)

Of course it should count. "Supported by the basket, not touching the ground," is a way better rule than "Supported by the basket or chains but not the top for some reason." There is no valid reason for it not to count. Tradition is not a valid reason.

Intent doesn't matter either. Should you have to call every single shot you make so everyone is sure that the disc is doing what you intended?
yes. I think it should count. The NFL has rule changes all the time mostly to clarify a certain situation because the current rule did not. Or sometimes an old rule was to rigid or not rigid or specific enough. Instant replay is the most effective improvement because it corrects human error. My point is that we def don't want to get stuck in the mud. Some act as if the top of the basket might as well be O.B.

I'm fine for DROT (Disc resting on top) shots counting as a local/casual rule, but not for sanctioned play. My rationale is that some of the various basket tops offer more opportunity for this shot to stick than others, namely the difference in baskets with a number plate versus those without.

And yeah, I suppose you could make the same argument about the actual target area or the face mask in regards to wedge shots, but in those cases, I don't see the difference as that significant.

IMO, no.

I also think that discs wedged into the sides of the basket shouldn't count. Both of these situations demonstrate good luck on a poorly executed shot, which isn't what putting is about.

edit: However, after reading some more of the posts on the thread, I can see both sides of the coin more clearly. I supposed it does take skill to purposely land your disc on top.

Last edited:
IMO, absolutely not.

I also think that discs wedged into the sides of the basket shouldn't count. Both of these situations demonstrate good luck on a bad shot, which isn't what putting is about.

I agree with you, but why does it have to be the putt. I saw a guy hit an ace that stuck in the side of the basket

Okay so I have a question for you guys. While practicing putting, someone put a soft magnet in the side of the basket. The next guy that putts, goes right of the basket, clips the disc that is sticking out the side and bounces into the basket on a odd little skip. The disc that was stuck in the side falls out...

How would that count in tourney? It was one of the coolest putts I've seen ;)

The guy that stuc his putter in the side should have pulled it out. It doesnt count if it falls out before you get to it

Okay so I have a question for you guys. While practicing putting, someone put a soft magnet in the side of the basket. The next guy that putts, goes right of the basket, clips the disc that is sticking out the side and bounces into the basket on a odd little skip. The disc that was stuck in the side falls out...

How would that count in tourney? It was one of the coolest putts I've seen ;)

Any disc that is on, in, or wedged in a basket is to be cleared before any other player takes a shot. The player who failed to remove it loses his stroke.

Discs that land on top of the basket should not count. I wasn't aware discs wedged from the outside count. I've seen it happen in practice, never in a tournament.. and we don't count them as in.

The guy that stuc his putter in the side should have pulled it out. It doesnt count if it falls out before you get to it

There is considerable argument that this is not correct.

When a disc comes to rest and is subsequently moved, you put it back where it had come to rest. The rules committee has specifically ruled this on a disc that comes to rest on top, and is later knocked into the basket; you would put it back where it was, then mark the lie (directly below) and drop in.

It seems reasonable to argue, as many have, that a wedgie that is knocked loose would be returned to its at-rest position (wedged in the basket) and count.

If you get an ace---do you run down and clear it before the next person throws? Probably not. What if a subsequent throw hits the basket in such a way that your disc, hanging in the chains, falls out; or your disc, lying at an angle in the basket, bounces out? Many people accept that the disc came to rest in the basket, and counted.

I wasn't aware discs wedged from the outside count. I've seen it happen in practice, never in a tournament.. and we don't count them as in.

this happened to me in a tourney, not for an ace, but for a 240ft birdie. i had always heard if this happens to go pull it in from the inside of the basket so thats what i did, everyone on the card thought that was the right thing to do as well. I'm not sure if the pdga has a ruling on this, techinically its in the basket, half way at least :D

No as long as you get it before it falls out your good. You dont have to pull it through

It's pretty specific.

803.13 Holing Out
B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.

It's pretty specific.

803.13 Holing Out
B. Disc Entrapment Devices: In order to hole out, the thrower must release the disc and it must come to rest supported by the chains or within one of the entrapment sections. This includes a disc wedged into or hanging from the lower entrapment section but excludes a disc resting on top of, or hanging outside of, the upper entrapment section. The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.
Wait a sec! I just read something that seems to contradict the "at rest" argument.

The disc must also remain within the chains or entrapment sections until removed.

I realize that the rule now is that it only counts if it is supported by the basket or the chains,

I realize that the rules say that a disc that rests on top of the basket does not count as in, but this is the stupidest rule in Disc Golf. In the rare circumstance that the disc rests on top of the basket (it's happened three times in over a year, but all in the same week), it is supported by the basket and should count.
I'm not an expert, but i do have a fairly strong opinion. When I first started playing, my mentor told me about that rule. i thought it was stupid then, and i still think it's stupid now.
Having said all that, I do take a throw penalty when it lands on top of the basket. That's the rules, no matter how absurd.

In my opinion it isnt supported by the basket it is supported by the chain apparatus. The basket is the lowest piece of the entire apparatus. I keep coming back to the point that you are not trying to throw the disc on top you are trying to throw it into the chains and have it fall into the basket so why should a shot that ended up in a location where you were not intending to throw it is count????

Keep in mind I do disagree with a disc wedging in the basket as counting too. it is not like you were trying to lodge it in the basket. You were trying to hit the chains and let it fall into the basket yet you get rewarded for a shot that was not intended????

I think the DROT is a good rule and the Wedgie rule is the stupidest rule in disc golf.

There is considerable argument that this is not correct.

When a disc comes to rest and is subsequently moved, you put it back where it had come to rest. The rules committee has specifically ruled this on a disc that comes to rest on top, and is later knocked into the basket; you would put it back where it was, then mark the lie (directly below) and drop in.

It seems reasonable to argue, as many have, that a wedgie that is knocked loose would be returned to its at-rest position (wedged in the basket) and count.

If you get an ace---do you run down and clear it before the next person throws? Probably not. What if a subsequent throw hits the basket in such a way that your disc, hanging in the chains, falls out; or your disc, lying at an angle in the basket, bounces out? Many people accept that the disc came to rest in the basket, and counted.

Actually yes, people will haul ass down the fairway to get their disc out before it drops.