• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidewalks always OB?

Sports Fan Stan, thank you for bringing up Ball golf. I was a caddy as a teenager and have played lots and read much of the history of the other golf. They have already handled almost all of the things we need to do to promote our sport. If there had been a sensible tour, following a route around the country in short distances, back in the early '90's, I would probably still be on tour. I have always been outspoken about design features that punish minor errors severely. When a putt hits an inch low and rolls ten feet into water so nasty the disc is lost, well that would be like taking the ball golfers putter and throwing it in after the ball. And why hasn't anyone in the disc business made a patch that inflates when it contacts water and floats the disc to the surface. Now I'm ramblin!

Sports Fan Stan, thank you for bringing up Ball golf. I was a caddy as a teenager and have played lots and read much of the history of the other golf. They have already handled almost all of the things we need to do to promote our sport. If there had been a sensible tour, following a route around the country in short distances, back in the early '90's, I would probably still be on tour. I have always been outspoken about design features that punish minor errors severely. When a putt hits an inch low and rolls ten feet into water so nasty the disc is lost, well that would be like taking the ball golfers putter and throwing it in after the ball. And why hasn't anyone in the disc business made a patch that inflates when it contacts water and floats the disc to the surface. Now I'm ramblin!

I know what you mean, only a few holes I've seen have had this problem, but on 17 at White Birch, awesome drive just under 300 ft. Landed it 20 ft from the hole. Horrible putt, missed just right, rolled 40 ft then all the way down a 15 ft cliff into a muddy valley. I mean it was my fault, shoulda made it, and sometimes these obstacles are interesting and are great for Risk/Reward, but I know what you're saying.

I really like hazards that add a big risk/reward option on greens. Adding that challenge and a penalty for missed putts or botched approaches I think is a fun way to make a course more difficult. I'm not sure ho much we want to go down the road of making disc golf exactly like ball golf, our courses are always going to be more rough and natural and I like that.

My philosophy is to study (ball) golf and decide for ourselves what features we should adopt, and what features we should do differently.

Baskets near OB---on our course we have a couple. We have given out questionnaires after tournaments on course design features. Most---but not all---players liked these.

Overly punitive---the BUNCR is designed to address this. Not sure whether it's a good idea or not, but it's a try.

Baskets near OB---on our course we have a couple. We have given out questionnaires after tournaments on course design features. Most---but not all---players liked these.

I love baskets right on top of OB. The last tournament I played had a short hole over water that was reachable for everyone (only about 175' carry off the tee. It was definitely an aceable hole, and at least half a dozen people hit metal during the two rounds. The tricky part was that the basket was only about 5' beyond the water, so a lot of the metal hits ended up bouncing back into the water, and there was a drop zone that made it very difficult to get a circle 3. There was plenty of room to lay up for the 2, but ace runs or putts coming back from drives that went long were really risky. There were scores from 2 to a triple circle 7.

This reminds me that I would still love to set up an urban course in the industrial areas of some major city.

That would most likely be so you don't ruin your clubs.

In ball/stick golf, if your ball is not on the sidewallk but your stance is on the sidewalk, you also get free relief (drop). It has more to do with fairness than protection of clubs...

Anyway, I see that a bunch of opinions on this thread have to do with "making a course harder and more challenging." I understand that idea but wish there were other ways than just declaring an empty sidewalk (or concrete drain apron) to be OB. I also dislike the mandos meant to rule out overhand throws or other types of shots (unless safety is a factor).

However, we aren't playing at coutry clubs where the club can go out and buy a $500 20-foot tree in order to make a hole more difficult. There are things that can be done like moving tees backwards/sideways, relocating baskets, and planting/nurturing inexpensive trees and shrubs.

There were times I had a small lead in the last round and took the lay up and sure par but didn't feel good about it. Sometimes you do what you have to do. Thats nice in tournament play but different to the new people trying the game. If I had a pro tournament I probably would make some of the holes tougher, I can easily move the tees. I prefer grass or dirt tees, if they aren't too worn. The west Texas winds add all the challenge my course needs. Look at what I did to the baskets to make them theft resistant. Brady DGC on this site. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/gallery.php?id=2827&mode=gal

Why in the hell does everyone keep comparing this to ball golf? This is NOT ball golf. Do they have the same rules in field hockey as they do in hockey.

Why in the hell does everyone keep comparing this to ball golf? This is NOT ball golf. Do they have the same rules in field hockey as they do in hockey.
It's not the same but Dg is based on the concept of ball golf hence the name. there will always be references and comparisons. i would point out that in ball golf out of bounds is used only on course boundaries and is stroke and distance wheras OB in DG is usually played more like a water hazard in BG ie one stroke with a drop

i would point out that in ball golf out of bounds is used only on course boundaries and is stroke and distance wheras OB in DG is usually played more like a water hazard in BG ie one stroke with a drop

Yup... When I explain disc golf to a stick golfer, I tell them that all of the hazards/OB are played like a "red hazard."

It was because of the sidewalks. I compared it to that rule 'unplayable' I'm aware they are two different sports. I've played both. I like both. And yes, I do know what the name of this site is.

Originally Posted by Roc1time
Why in the hell does everyone keep comparing this to ball golf? This is NOT ball golf. Do they have the same rules in field hockey as they do in hockey. We compare this to ball golf because they have a pro division that comfortably supports pro's. If we can learn how they developed, maybe there is hope for us.

If you're playing Leonard L. Woods Park without sidewalk-and-beyond as OB, you're playing a course that's way too easy. Like Roc says, play 'em OB and make yourself a better player. Oh yeah, that concrete drainage area should be OB too.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I kind of like mando's. Mostly because it adds a level of difficulty to holes (at least around here). They ensure that you take the designers intended route, and not (for example) through trees that have drastically thinned out since the courses "birth."

Also, mr. osbogslejuld...i won 19 games of Call of Duty 4...in a row. And that was in 2008, so take that!
word, i like mandos as well there is nothing worse than when someone designs a really cool hole but nobody throws the intended route because its easier throw some boring way around or tomahawk over it . Also they protect people on other holes by keeping people from throwing into other holes fairways.

but as far as o.b i play the designed course as im not course designer and dont pretend to be, if someones on the sidewalk ill wait till their outta range and its not like making it o.b. gonna make that person more safe you can still get hit outta bounds.

If you're playing Leonard L. Woods Park without sidewalk-and-beyond as OB, you're playing a course that's way too easy. Like Roc says, play 'em OB and make yourself a better player. Oh yeah, that concrete drainage area should be OB too.
i always played the drainage ditch as OB and the road but i wasn't sure about all of the sidewalks.