• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon Lizotte - Shouldn't HE be the best?

All of the top pros calculate risk before they throw a shot, that's kind of the point of the game. Is your position that Simon throws this shot for pure entertainment and not because he has a chance to get a lower score than anyone else in the field on the hole?

Pretty sure Simon is looking 100% at reward and not concerned with risk.

He just seems a bit ADD about the whole thing and I bet he would shoot worse... or maybe he does shoot worse and lose focus when he tries to play at all conservative.

I've known some of these people in other sports and it does seem almost frustrating to see all that talent not doing what we would like to see from them. The Harlem globetrotter comment I initially disagreed with, but the more I think about it, it's kinda on line, maybe more the street basketball where there are style points. I've know really good athletes that are just simply bored with trying to play the "correct" way and want to entertain themselves more than win.

His shot selection on the course is pretty suspect at times. Look at HOF...roller on one? Really? :doh:

I think he's been throwing the roller on one for the past few years now. Last time he threw an air shot that I saw on coverage was in 2015 and it was a shank early left. I think he feels he can scramble easier from a missed roller than from a missed air shot, and the roller isn't that much more difficult for him, so he opts for the roller.

I think he's been throwing the roller on one for the past few years now. Last time he threw an air shot that I saw on coverage was in 2015 and it was a shank early left. I think he feels he can scramble easier from a missed roller than from a missed air shot, and the roller isn't that much more difficult for him, so he opts for the roller.

This. Of course it's a calculated decision. Only 2 players in the field beat him on the hole this weekend and he has a chance to get a better score on the hole than anyone in the field...

Everytime Simon misses or most times anyways it looks like a focus issue. He has so much RAW talent it's insane.I think he has ADD/ADHD and sometimes has a hard time flipping that mental switch to be Hyper focused.

I haven't ever learned to deal with my ADHD well but Simon is really young and I think if he was going to train anything perhaps some mental tricks or training could help him stay there mentally.

He has so much potential still, and I think he could win quite easily if he gets there.

From my understanding Simon is a man of many talents and IDK if disc golf gets his 100% focus unfortunately. I have heard he talks about moving on and playing things like darts professionally as well. I think he genuinely plays to have fun even if it gets in the way of his success from time to time. I actually think he will place better when he gets out of his "prime" and needs to work to shot well.
Hope he's better at darts than pool... have heard people touting him as a good pool shot (coulda just been Jerm talking up things as a mouthpiece promoting the players talents, nothing wrong with that), but the video from Maple Hill post tourney a year or two ago showed a questionable lack of understanding of the table.

By the same logic shouldn't John Daly have been the best?
Right. One of those things where for some people changing things up to be that "killer" just ruins their mental approach. John Daly, for instance, tried at one point to lose weight and be a more serious competitive golfer. He quit fairly quickly using the excuse that he couldn't rest his arms on his love-handles while he was putting and it threw him off. Odds are there were numerous other issues associated with forms of addiction - but it was obviously messing with his mental approach on the course.

If he is good enough dart player, it's not like all good dart players win a lot of money but being a top 10 in dart will certainly be more profitable than being a top 10 in disc golf.

He will also have the same motivation problem. I've watched the dart grand prix and all those players can play great but none as the consistency of Michael van Gerwen, so like in disc golf being talented is not enough to be the best.

I'd rather have a tour with 100 Simon's than 100 McBeth's. But what we end up with is 98 people trying their best to be Paul. That's respectable. But it just makes me love Simon more.

I'd love to have him on my card. I used to play ultimate with a guy who would say, "Whatever you do, make sure it's cool." Simon throwing a disc is cool.

I think the title of this thread should be "Eagle- shouldnt he be the best?"

Eagle has a forehand no one else has and his backhand power is only matched by a few players (TripG,Simon,Gibson)
Also, Eagle is a better putter than all those guys.

I think Simon and Eagle are similar, but Eagle is way more serious. He also now has a broken hand.

I'd love to have him on my card. I used to play ultimate with a guy who would say, "Whatever you do, make sure it's cool." Simon throwing a disc is cool.

People use a cliche for that these days, it's called, "hold my beer"

I love to see cool stuff, but not at the cost of efficiency. Most of the "cool" stuff (I've seen) is ineffective or just makes the simple approach more difficult. One man's opinion...

You can be Paul. You can train insane amounts. Put in the work.

No you can't. This is implying that McBeth isn't one of the best all round players and talented throwers in the world.

McBeth is the answer to the equation, when the proposed question is "what happens when someone with insane talent for throwing and golfing puts in more work than anyone else"?

You can be Paul. You can train insane amounts. Put in the work.

You cant be Simon, unless you have innate talent.

Simon with Pauls work ethic and determination, would be 1070 rated easy.

Yeah. Paul has rediculous amounts of talent. Combined with his work ethic make him the best. Same for Rick as a close second. They just make it look easy and robotic.
Easy to forget how naturally talented they are because they dont try and throw 700ft through a 2ft gap over a 100ft tall tree , like Simon

Last edited:
It's already been said that the absolute best in any given discipline tend to be obsessed to the point where it's probably not healthy. I agree with that.

Simon seems pretty happy-go-lucky in his approach to disc golf, and life in general. That's more important than winning tournaments, I would say. But there's so little difference between the top players in terms of what they can do physically that I think that killer instinct and insane hatred of losing/not winning is the difference. I haven't seen that from Simon. I've seen it from Paul, Ricky and Eagle. But not Simon.

Simon is obviously a great player and when he is on, he's as good as anyone out there... but I'm not sure he really has the killer instinct needed to be the dominant player over the a long period of time.

He's too big a goof. Its fun, but I don't think you dominate with that style of play unless it is a memorial style course. He was out practicing for the DGPT final with only a 7 iron and golf ball...playing the course as if it was a golf course today. He has the skills, but I dont think he has the desire to grind. If it clicks it clicks. If not hes ok with it.

I love watching Simon. And at least from his social media he looks like a cool dude to hang out with.

But as far as his potential as top dog, I think hole 18 at Waco way back at the beginning of the season sums it up. Totally unnecessarily crushes a P2 to circles edge from almost 500', misses the putt.

When you can make enough money in your disc golf job based on your skill as an entertainer who produces sales for your sponsor, the amount of money won and your finish position in events probably becomes less important than showcasing your special talents.

When you can make enough money in your disc golf job based on your skill as an entertainer who produces sales for your sponsor, the amount of money won and your finish position in events probably becomes less important than showcasing your special talents.

This. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that having Simon on board helps Discmania move plastic, so regardless of where he finishes it's a mutually beneficial relationship.

Back in the day, everyone probably said Scott Stokely should have been the best.

Latest posts