• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Simon Lizotte - Shouldn't HE be the best?

Every year I keep thinking THIS is the year Simon Lizotte destroys the competition and becomes world champ, #1 player, etc, etc. He obviously has the entire skill set. Fans/critics were saying.."if he could only dial in his mental game", "not be a such a show off", etc, etc. And then...he started playing a tad more conservative and I personally thought, ok..this is it, he's going to start winning everything. He's obviously does well on tour and is always amazing to watch. Just seems like...if anyone was going to dominate the sport from say 3 years ago to 3 years from now, Simon would have been be the one to bet on.

Define "BEST". Because I can show you some statistics that might suggest he is.

Every year I keep thinking THIS is the year Simon Lizotte destroys the competition and becomes world champ, #1 player, etc, etc. He obviously has the entire skill set. Fans/critics were saying.."if he could only dial in his mental game", "not be a such a show off", etc, etc. And then...he started playing a tad more conservative and I personally thought, ok..this is it, he's going to start winning everything. He's obviously does well on tour and is always amazing to watch. Just seems like...if anyone was going to dominate the sport from say 3 years ago to 3 years from now, Simon would have been be the one to bet on.

Define "BEST". Because I can show you some statistics that might suggest he is.

DiscFifty is on permaban and will not be able to reply. ;)

He turned in a bloody scorecard today.

But apparently did something magical on 18.

Idk bout the rest of it, and maybe it's an act for social media, but Simon seems like he's be a blast to play a round with.

Oh really? I am shocked!!! :D The next thing you're going to tell me is that it would be fun to play a round with Ricky!

But seriously, it would be a dream to play a round with just about anyone in the top 20, but I think a few players (Simon, Ricky, Eagle, Sexton) really seem to have a higher "entertainment factor". :clap:

Been a fan of his youtube channel for a long time. Two videos stand out for me. One was when he was playing the Preserve (in Eastern PA???) one time and said he practices a course maybe two times a day before a competition before he doesn't feel like it. Second was when he and McBeth called each other's shots (McBeth playing Lizotte style and Lizotte playing McBeth style) and McBeth said Simon's shots worked but after a 18-hole (or 9-hole?) round he felt he played 3-4x that. Seems the two things go hand-in-hand along with his injury.

I can see guys like McBeth practicing relentlessly day in and day out on putting and approach shots, meat and potatoes conservative stuff, and Simon simply less so. Simon would appear like a guy with more sheer natural talent and a body ideal of DG but not quite reaching his apex in competitive play for whatever reason. Not even work ethic, as his youtube shows he has that, but maybe misplaced and diffused focus on these different directions? More killer instinct needed too? Less imaginative but more consistent shots and strategy?

Don't wanna armchair critique too much as none of us knows what goes on behind the scenes. He does have everything to make world champ but in the end it takes a certain drive to just go out and do it when the opportunity is there.

Seems the two things go hand-in-hand along with his injury.

His playing style probably did add to the issue, but he's been quoted as saying it was due to the one video he made where he was trying to get two aces at the same time. He admitted he threw way too many discs for too long of a period trying to get the double ace.

I can see guys like McBeth practicing relentlessly day in and day out on putting and approach shots, meat and potatoes conservative stuff, and Simon simply less so.

The Monday before the 2015 BHMO, McBeth was at the course practicing. He was the only big name out there. Simon, Philo and a couple others were in Dayton most of the week competing in Booom skins matches. A friend of mine played part of a practice round with McBeth and Paul told him "This is what it takes to win. You have to put in the work." Sure enough, PMcB won easily that year.

Attachments

• Lizotte You Tube page.jpg
    Lizotte You Tube page.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 122
There's something weird about bumping a thread from a banned member I never interacted with, but it seemed like the closest topic.

Here's an image showing all of Simon's PDGA round ratings in 2022 and a trendline.

In his last 3 events (DDO, OTB, Portland), he has averaged 1049 golf. Smart Line Simon (TM) is shredding recently!

Attachments

• SimonLizotte_2022_RoundRatings.jpg
    SimonLizotte_2022_RoundRatings.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 109
There's something weird about bumping a thread from a banned member I never interacted with, but it seemed like the closest topic.

Here's an image showing all of Simon's PDGA round ratings in 2022 and a trendline.

In his last 3 events (DDO, OTB, Portland), he has averaged 1049 golf. Smart Line Simon (TM) is shredding recently!

That video w/Paul may have had long term implications. That video was a really great watch too

Great bump, and yes, Simon just may have figured a few things out during that round where Paul threw Simon lines, and Simon threw Paul lines. That, and maybe age/maturity are starting to set in.

His body isn't as bullet proof as it once was. He's said he's been throttling down a bit to avoid re-injury or aggravating existing injuries. That's going to improve accuracy, and with his technique, powered down Simon still gets him farther down the the fairway than a lot of MPO's top 20 players.

We all know it's hardly ever just one thing. Bottom line is, Simon's results this year show just how dialed in he is.

Would love to see him playing like this through World's. Love his enthusiasm and he's simply fun to watch.

That, and maybe age/maturity are starting to set in.

Would love to see him playing like this through World's. Love his enthusiasm and he's simply fun to watch.

I have to wonder too if having a child has re-focused him in some ways. The other thing to consider is his 'Simon' lines take quite a bit of power usually, and if he is forced to play at 80% to avoid re-injuring himself, maybe a lot of those lines are now off the table. Maybe some combination of all the above. Whatever the reason, very happy to see him getting some W's.

Agreed on World's. You almost have to think he will be the favorite going in now. Ricky and Eagle have their own injuries, Paul has been a bit sporadic, and not sure how favorably Emporia sets up for Dickerson. Calvin should definitely be in the top 3 as well as a favorite. And it would not surprise me one bit to see some big surprise player a la Conrad or Sexton last year, or Keith in 2019, end up on final round lead card.

Both Simon and GG were super stressed coming in to 18. They really felt the pressure and you could see it.

If Simon continues to play like he has, he may get comfortable with the pressure and eliminate a few of the big mistakes. We could (hopefully will) see him take another step up the ladder.

Same goes for GG and we've seen similar from Drew. These guys get comfortable being in the battle and we will see some next level golf from some people that have been second tier for a while.

It's good to see Simon playing like this.

I'm sure Discmania loves it also now that Eagle is out for the time being.

Yeah, from Jussi's perspective, Simon's W's couldn't have happened at a better time.

You almost have to think he will be the favorite going in now. Ricky and Eagle have their own injuries, Paul has been a bit sporadic, and not sure how favorably Emporia sets up for Dickerson. Calvin should definitely be in the top 3 as well as a favorite. And it would not surprise me one bit to see some big surprise player a la Conrad or Sexton last year, or Keith in 2019, end up on final round lead card.
Valid points.

I'll just say, even in years when he's not playing his best, McBeth just find a way when it comes to World's. Going back to 2012, he's finished no worse than 2nd. He's quite literally been, "the man you gotta beat."

Calvin, Gibson, Dickerson, Simon...
Can't see how anyone should be surprised if they make final round lead card. Some one else could make a good run, too.

But yeah, with a dinged up Eagle, and Ricky, and if Paul can't unleash McBeast... 2022 just year just might be Simon or Calvin's best opportunity.