• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Smoking BANNED at 2011 Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah here's the original thread. One of these days I'll figure out the "search" feature on this site.
lol yeah... This didn't end very pretty before.
I apologize if I trolled up some bad memories. I figured it was new news as the article says 4/18.Maybe a mod will see this afterwhile and feel obliged to put out this fire before it starts growing.

Last edited:
There is a strict no smoking rule at Delaveaga. There are a few houses very close by, and the neighbors aren't the biggest disc fans around. The ticket writers are in force sneaking through the bushes eager to pounce any one who lights up. "Is that an adult beverage? Hold on, let me call for back up."

You pay to park.
You pay a fine if you smoke.
You pay the salary of the guy writing you the ticket.

I can understand the alcohol/non supporting neighborhood problem as my home course used to be Bear Creek in Grapevine, Tx. The cops went as far as dressing in street clothes, carrying bags/discs,and playing a round a.k.a. roaming the park trying to catch people participating in any "extra-curricular" activities. Pretty overboard if you ask me. I really don't understand the no smoking policy though. Maybe I am a little bias myself because I am a smoker(tobacco only), but when I do decide to light up I am respectfull to others and stray away from the group in order to not bother anyone that cannot stand the smoke. If it's the litter of the cigarette butts all over the course I would say put up ashtrays/butt buckets but I'm sure this will always be a losing battle. Just like trash, even when theres garbage cans theres still trash thrown out.

You have to remember, it will be held during the dry season. So,the fire danger is very high in that area. A few years back there were quite a few homes lost do to a pretty big wildland fire. Granted it was further south, but none the less. It's crazy terrain around there and if a fire took hold, it would be tought to stop it.
Granted there is a smoking ban in all the parks in the area, but it's not enforced, as you will see by all those cig butts on the ground. It cracks me up, because most golfers/smokers will pick up trash as they see it, but they have no problem tossing their butts on the ground. It kills me...and I smoke too, but I carry an ashtray and stay away from non smokers.
I wonder how Climo is going to hold up, since he seems to be a heavy smoker. Will he snap and try to rip Doss' head off from nicotine withdrawls? Should be interesting.

i dont care if people smoke. it does not smell nice and would rather not see it on the course simply because i try and get kids encouraged to play. this means i quit drinking beer on the course because i dont want to encourage that behavior either. unfortunately for smokers this is turning into a smoke-free society and at the same time, disc golf is growing whether some like it or not. so we jump on the bandwagon, make the most of it, or we all go down in flames for being associated with the sport.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts