• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, Idlewild is down to 3rd

Top ten reasons to rate courses low

• Total voters
Hitmetal, allow me to suggest to your and your buddy that you might want to skip any trip you have planned to Paw Paw.:D

Out of 22 reviews I have 4 at 4 discs and two at 4 and 1/2. Out of those 6 none is my favorite course. My fav course I have rated a 3. In fact my home course is a 3.5 and I rated it a 3.
We should be rating these courses for what they are and not what we wished them to be.

Well my two cents,i played flip city last weekend and was shocked at how beautiful it was,and it was very fun to play. The day before i played Leviathan in ludington, wow, over 8000 feet and many tunnel shots over 500ft, im a Am2 player and i loved it,a course made for pros, i felt like i played the course reserved for the shultz and klimos, i shot pretty rough but to see that a course that imo makes disc golf a sport,not a game, made me realize were i stood and made me take a new look at disc golf. Sounds like these guys were lookin for some smoke and ace runs and got lost. To rate a course because u hurt ur pretty frisbees on sum bark is wrong, these types of sites will bring ppl to new courses and grow the sport. I hope everyone that reviews the courses stays fair and doesnt rate it by there skill level.. If u suck, a pro course will make u cry, get a tissue and keep it to urself

how AND who determines the stats "marked as played'? That stat isn't reliable at all.
That stat is COMPLETELY RELIABLE. 290 separate people would have to mark that course's page as marked. Maybe if you took some time to fill out your profile and played courses, you'd know that.

I didn't know that a city needs a NFL team to be considered a hot spot DG destination. You shocked me with that one. I never knew. But just to inform you on football...ever heard of the Seattle Seahawks?
Yeah, they're in Seattle, ...WASHINGTON. Not Oregon. The point was your portrayal of Kentucky as something nobody would go to compared to Oregon is just silly.

How far is Nashville and Indianapolis to that course? now your radar is extending itself.

Indianapolis - 2 hours. Nashville - 4:45 or so.

How far is Seattle from Portland? Ahh, looks about 2:45.

Yes, I know, Oregon is way up in the NW so it's a trip to get up here, especially for those with a light wallet. So I don't expect the masses to travel to the NW for disc golf.
I don't think the masses travel anywhere for disc golf. We as a sport don't have masses yet.

"There are 425 DGCR members within 200 miles of Idlewild. Only 189 within 200 miles of Pier Park in Oregon." This was exactly my point!!!! lol comical.
Then your point made absolutely no sense. A course with twice the members near it would likely have twice the number of reviews wouldn't it?

"By far the largest PDGA sanctioned event in the country is held in...guess where...Kentucky."

So does this make Kentucky a big tourist destination? I just said that I never hear about people taking a vacation to Kentucky. That's it. PLUS, is this major PDGA sanctioned event played at Idlewild, the course we are talking about?
If I were in Oregon, I doubt I'd hear about people taking a vacation to Kentucky either. Just the same, if I were in Kentucky I doubt I'd hear about anyone taking a trip to Oregon.

And no, if you clicked that link, you'd see the tournament in question is in Bowling Green, which is a lot more isolated than the metro Cincinnati area.

I'm sure there's a little homer factor in every course on that list, including the ones in Oregon. Some who've never been to Oregon might wonder how a state with 2.3% of the U.S. course count commands 20% of the space on that list. (At one time I believe it was 30%).

I wondered the same thing and I live in Oregon. There are homers in every state. We all love our home course.

It's also extremely difficult to compare courses. For example, look at the top 10 list...how does one determine that one course is better than the other. Like another guy said, there's always going to be opinions in there.

Does anybody have the "official form" that is used to evaluate a course? I saw it somewhere on this site but can't find it now. It was some kind of organized evaluation form that may have been used by PDGA officials or something. Does anybody know where I can find something like this? Scarpfish, you're throwing a lot of stats and PDGA stuff out there...do you know where the most professional form is for evaluating a course?

^^^^^Don't get Chuck and Dave242 started on this this!!!! Next thing you know; Olorin will chime in and the three of them will fill up another five pages. :)

That stat is COMPLETELY RELIABLE. 290 separate people would have to mark that course's page as marked. Maybe if you took some time to fill out your profile and played courses, you'd know that.

Yeah, they're in Seattle, ...WASHINGTON. Not Oregon. The point was your portrayal of Kentucky as something nobody would go to compared to Oregon is just silly.

Indianapolis - 2 hours. Nashville - 4:45 or so.

How far is Seattle from Portland? Ahh, looks about 2:45.

I don't think the masses travel anywhere for disc golf. We as a sport don't have masses yet.

Then your point made absolutely no sense. A course with twice the members near it would likely have twice the number of reviews wouldn't it?

"By far the largest PDGA sanctioned event in the country is held in...guess where...Kentucky."

If I were in Oregon, I doubt I'd hear about people taking a vacation to Kentucky either. Just the same, if I were in Kentucky I doubt I'd hear about anyone taking a trip to Oregon.

And no, if you clicked that link, you'd see the tournament in question is in Bowling Green, which is a lot more isolated than the metro Cincinnati area.

You are putting way too much trust into this forum that most don't even know about or use. I have played about 40 courses and I have never marked a course as played. Now look at who is making assumptions...

I've been to Kentucky. A bunch of hillbilly rednecks lol. Of course they don't travel to Oregon. They don't even leave Kentucky.

"Then your point made absolutely no sense. A course with twice the members near it would likely have twice the number of reviews wouldn't it?"
So are you saying that all PDGA members are active users of this site? You're not making any sense and you're making bold assumptions.

Of all the disc golfers, how many are even part of the PDGA? your stats and assumptions are meaningless. there are way too many disc golfers out there that would be impossible to track and keep stats of.

^^^^^Don't get Chuck and Dave242 started on this this!!!! Next thing you know; Olorin will chime in and the three of them will fill up another five pages. :)

LOL I hear ya there. I'm gonna go throw a round before it gets dark!! you all can debate among yourselves.

I should start a poll....Would you rather live in Oregon or Kentucky? LOL

"Then your point made absolutely no sense. A course with twice the members near it would likely have twice the number of reviews wouldn't it?"
So are you saying that all PDGA members are active users of this site? You're not making any sense and you're making bold assumptions.
I'm lost. Where did he say that all PDGA members are active users of the site?

even if the best course in the country was on the west or east coast....the biggest PDGA major event wouldn't be held there.

Congratulations kentucky, you are near the middle of the country. you should be proud :)

I'm lost. Where did he say that all PDGA members are active users of the site?

that's why I was asking. is he talking about users of this site? or people that register with the PDGA.

either way, quoting PDGA stats or stats from this website is only talking about a segment of the DG population.

open your eyes!

even if the best course in the country was on the west or east coast....the biggest PDGA major event wouldn't be held there.

Congratulations kentucky, you are near the middle of the country. you should be proud :)
So Rock Hill, South Carolina isn't on the East Coast? Because USDGC is held there every year.

For whatever it's worth; this site represents a larger, and broader range of players than the PDGA site. I know many of you also belong to the PDGA and I'm not trying to belittle that organization in any way; but, if you pop over there every once in a while and try to find some new discussion; or, really, any discussion at all; you'll be back here in a flash.

I also doubt that any meaningful discussion of courses would go on there; as it has been my experience that bias of all forms, is even stronger amongst our "official" brethren. :)

Has anyone on here played Nevin and Idlewild? How do the two compare in terms of difficulty? I'm curious about this, as I've not played any courses in the top 10, but I know I've enjoyed playing Nevin every time I've played it, even though I've never come anywhere near close to par, any way you want to count par.

There are some of us who have no aspirations of ever being a pro, but enjoy challenging courses. Maybe I'm a masochist. I don't know. Hard courses are fun, at least to me. It's nice to see what some course designer thinks is possible when throwing a disc, and then hearing about someone actually achieving the possible, or even better. I think I heard that Climo shot a 56 at the Web Friday, and I saw where Stan McDaniel jokingly questioned whether or not it was too good of a round. See post #50.

Jack,
When tmahan posted about perhaps eliminating Paw Paw from travel plans; Ashe County and Nevin were the two I've played recently that I also thought should probably be eliminated from their travel plans. :) I loved them both. (And, no I've haven't played Idlewild) Also, it was a shame that we didn't get a chance to play Sugaree with Mando; your opinion of that one was high; per another thread. (I keep adding stuff to this post/ the edit function doing me well :)) Jack, how come the Charlotte board was not giving any nice commentary on the Clash? I've been checking in there for three days!!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong but Kentucky isn't a popular tourist destination and there probably aren't too many making a trip to Kentucky just for disc golf. So 70+ reviews on that course?? A little sketchy...

There are 425 DGCR members within 200 miles of Idlewild. Only 189 within 200 miles of Pier Park in Oregon.

that's why I was asking. is he talking about users of this site? or people that register with the PDGA.

either way, quoting PDGA stats or stats from this website is only talking about a segment of the DG population.

open your eyes!
It seemed pretty clear that he was talking about DGCR members to me.

seems we have gotten off topic from the douchebaggery commited by these two guys that cant huck a piece o plastic and hit the side of a barn 10 ft in front of them.

I just played Ashe County last weekend, and shot about as poorly there as I did at Nevin. I still had a good time. There are some fun holes there.

I'd suggest for those two to never even bother coming to the Charlotte area, certainly not to play Nevin, Hornet's Nest, Renny, or Stumpy Creek.

Latest posts