• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So, Idlewild is down to 3rd

Top ten reasons to rate courses low

• Total voters
even if the best course in the country was on the west or east coast....the biggest PDGA major event wouldn't be held there.

Congratulations kentucky, you are near the middle of the country. you should be proud :)

i believe we were talking about the biggest major event held in Bowling. You are lost.
I'm not lost at all. The most prestigious event in Professional disc golf is held in South Carolina. Your first comment is dead in the water whether the largest Amateur event by attendance is held in Kentucky or not.

I will say it again...this is the populist american idol popularity contest site. Niche type courses do not do well here usually. So anything too difficult, too rugged, too strenuous, basically anything in any type of extreme does not do real well in the ratings. Thats why you have to unfortunately read between the lines. I will raise the point that me and Dave242 seem to be the only ones who care about...there has to be a way to mark a course as challenging and not rely on the ratings...TimG had mentioned implementing some form of system so that courses could be searched by difficulty level and not rely on the rating so much.
Idlewild seems to be that rare difficult course that has many reviews and didnt get bashed by more recreational players.....welcome to the club Idlewild...my home course gets trashed quite often for being too difficult (Nockamixon)

^^^The creme will rise to the top eventually. Nocky and the likes will eventually get to the top. Blueberry is not the best course at High Bridge.

PM fun

So I was so disgusted by the second guy's review, I thought I would PM him a "Nut Punch"

Here is what transpired

Hitmetal said:
mrstiggy said:
nut punch!
Dude, do you own stock in Idlewild or someting?

never played it, but to write a review of a course based on your piss poor playing and not the quality of the course seems a bit childish.

From what I have read the course has
Great signs
Great Lines
Great Tees
Mowed, maintained, defined fairways
Trash free
Elevation changes
Stunning views.

Based on that, I have a hard time believing that a course with this only deserves a 1.

I travel for a living, and the fact that you are going to write reviews based on the fact that you threw 678 over, and not the actual quality of the course disturbs me because if everyone did that, I would be missing out on some great courses.

I'm not lost at all. The most prestigious event in Professional disc golf is held in South Carolina. Your first comment is dead in the water whether the largest Amateur event by attendance is held in Kentucky or not.

South Carolina sucks to a much greater degree than Kentucky!!!! And....Winthorp is waaayyy over rated.:popcorn:

^^^^To our Texas friend getting all worked up...
Nearly all of Mr. Houck's courses are way over rated; I mean, come on, the terrain in Texas is sooo flat and boring!!! :popcorn:

Yeah,sounds like these guys sucked disc at a well maintained tough course with pro level shots and decided to rebel somhow against the integrity of the rating system. They will just stay home cleaning there frisbees as the sport passes them bye

This course is all about opionions, and if someone doesn't like a rating or review then you can vote on it. There is no need for complaining about the review as it is not yours. It will be obvious to others if it is credible or not based on the amount of positive and negative votes. Move on and play some disc golf!

You are putting way too much trust into this forum that most don't even know about or use. I have played about 40 courses and I have never marked a course as played. Now look at who is making assumptions...

I've been to Kentucky. A bunch of hillbilly rednecks lol. Of course they don't travel to Oregon. They don't even leave Kentucky.

Yeah, look who's making assumptions.

Can we officially mark this doofus as a troll?

This course is all about opionions, and if someone doesn't like a rating or review then you can vote on it. There is no need for complaining about the review as it is not yours. It will be obvious to others if it is credible or not based on the amount of positive and negative votes. Move on and play some disc golf!

It is dark and rainy where i live,cant throw right now. I look on this site for new courses to travel to,i have a job and travel to new courses on my weekends and i read the course reviews to plan my destinations. If everyone did what these chuckers did then the course review section is worthless to me

^^^^To our Texas friend getting all worked up...
Nearly all of Mr. Houck's courses are way over rated; I mean, come on, the terrain in Texas is sooo flat and boring!!! :popcorn:

First Blueberry, then Winthrop and now all of Houcks courses and the entire state of Texas. Dang Paul, you are the Don King of Flame Wars 2010.:D

The idea that all the cincy locals are on here with multiple ids is bogus, I know the majority of people i play with around here never get on here and review courses. Like most have said the majority of Idle reviews are from out of towners. Let this just be a warning for others traveling if you cant throw with the big dogs stick to the par 3 courses. I have all kinds of fun trying to get birdie fours and saving fives everytime I go, like I did earlier today.

I just read through this whole thread and there seems to be a fairly easy solution to the problem. While the entire point of this website is for individuals to express their personal opinions on courses they've played, the accuracy and legitimacy of the course ratings are just as important to this site (if I find a bunch of 4 star courses on this site and I check them out and they suck, this site and its course ratings lose credibility and I probably stop coming here).

On to my solution...
Each review has the "Was this review helpful?" option at the bottom. It seems like if there is an inordinate number or "no" replies it would make sense to just remove the review's rating from the calculated average... This would allow for the reviewers issues to be expressed, but not cause a change in the course's rating.

On to my solution...
Each review has the "Was this review helpful?" option at the bottom. It seems like if there is an inordinate number or "no" replies it would make sense to just remove the review's rating from the calculated average... This would allow for the reviewers issues to be expressed, but not cause a change in the course's rating.
We talked about this. The problem is that if I'm hung up on my home course and want the rating to be high, you just gave me an incentive to give a "unhelpful" vote to any review rating it below whatever number I think it is. A group of homeboys could "unhelpful" all the low scores off the overall rating.

We talked about this. The problem is that if I'm hung up on my home course and want the rating to be high, you just gave me an incentive to give a "unhelpful" vote to any review rating it below whatever number I think it is. A group of homeboys could "unhelpful" all the low scores off the overall rating.

What if instead of automatically removing the rating whenever x number/percentage of "no" votes are submitted for a review... the review is sent to a moderator, who could then decide whether the review is legit.

I guess that's a decent amount of work to have moderators looking at any review that receives a number of "no" votes, but a) it would solve the problem, and b) there seem to be enough knowledgeable/interested guys on here (with plenty of free time) who'd be willing to moderate questionable reviews.

I'm fine with all comments regarding my low rating of Idlewild. Discussion is good and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have played about 100 courses in 14 states. I know nobody associated with Idlewild. My review was based on the fact that I did'nt enjoy the course. I don't really care where it's rated...I just know that it's not even in my top 20.

the problem is that you did not back up your review. you did not write enough to justify a 1. It really doesn;t matter because some Idlewild idoler will rank highbridge as a 1 to get it back to #2.

It's obvious that the course is well above a 1 rating. On the other hand, it's obvious that it's overrated on the list when it's at #3 in the country. So maybe the one star is justified to bring it down to reality.
Because let's be real, the reason it's probably even listed at the top of the list is because homers like peabody and his Kentucky buddies are all trying to push it to the top by creating several DGCR accounts and giving it a 5 rating. Otherwise, would he even care that it moved down to #3? Sounds like someone who has put extra effort in trying to push it to the top. Because I mean, how many disc golfers are there in Kentucky?? LOL jk

Oregon gets a HUGE and dedicated disc golf following, I think, and you don't see their courses with 70+ reviews. A Kentucky course has twice as many reviews as one of the top Oregon courses???

Is Kentucky a tourist destination? I'd like to know how many out of towners are included in the review of this course. So I actually put more credit into reviews that are done by people who are from out of town because there's less bias. And it eliminates the Peabody factor.

Just a thought...

It is not your job to try to single handedly try to lower a course you think is inflated. I think several courses are overrated, but I give them a fair review, not a 1 to lower it to what I think it deserves, that is a DB move and people who think like that ruin our rating system :mad::thmbdown:

Latest posts