• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

So what constitutes a putt?

YRNINVegas

I have just started and want to track stats, but want to know, is there a consensus as to what distance from the basket defines what a putt is for statistical purposes? Call me anal, but the nerd in me is making me ask.

Spunky: are you going to be one of THOSE guys...?

I would think that a "putt" is subjective in disc golf based on skill.

Putt: Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole is considered a putt.

http://www.pdga.com/rules/800-definitions

pretty much this. Just think. It this a putter in my hands? If yes go to question 2: Am I performing a throw that requires hip rotation? If Yes. then you are probably driving or approaching.

If you want to track stats, count anything from "inside the circle" (10 meters) as a putt. Some players will jump putt from up to 100 feet, but putts outside of 10 meters are not made at a very high percentage by most players.

i seem to make a larger % more 30-50 footers than 20 cause i can jump putt. I suck balls at putting its consistently half a disc center high to the right every other putt if i adjust i am hitting bottom left cage, it boggles me. the jump putt allows me to pitch with that small step which goes laser straight. i hope to end up 10 feet or 40 feet every time between 20-30 is so rough. soft wiz is $ for that shot just need to make sure there is no flashing on the bottom, scrape that on the road or concrete pad goes dead on.

I consider a putt (For my reference when taking notated scores) as any shot where I am using a putting motion to get the disc in the basket. so usually anything inside 100 ft or so is a putt for me. I notate whether the putt was a putt in the circle or not and I also notate how I missed it.

I consider a putt (For my reference when taking notated scores) as any shot where I am using a putting motion to get the disc in the basket. so usually anything inside 100 ft or so is a putt for me. I notate whether the putt was a putt in the circle or not and I also notate how I missed it.

I like this explination. I count a putt as anything I throw with a putter minus a tee shot. That way the putt includes approaches as well for me. I figure if I am starting to throw a putter the disc should be in the basket in two throws or less.

I count a putt as anything I throw with a putter minus a tee shot. That way the putt includes approaches as well for me. I figure if I am starting to throw a putter the disc should be in the basket in two throws or less.

^^^ Although "putt" is defined in the pdga rules as inside the 10m circle, I subscribe to this definition. I consider approaches as lag putts. For a basket placed on a flat area, without obstacles, I'd define the radius of a "putt" as about 150 ft.

When you hear the old argument that "putting is much easier in disc golf than ball golf", remember that this depends upon the definition of "putt".

I have just started and want to track stats, but want to know, is there a consensus as to what distance from the basket defines what a putt is for statistical purposes? Call me anal, but the nerd in me is making me ask.
It depends on what you want to use those statistics for.

If it were me, I'd track putts from <20', 20'-30', and 30'-50' as separate categories. Of course those numbers may change depending on how good you are at putting. It might take a few rounds of counting each putt individually to figure out where the best break points are. If you aren't very good at it you may need to create a 10'-20' category until you get your 10'-20' percentage up. If you're really good then you might change the first category to <30'.

It's pretty gray, but I'd say it is defined individually. For instance, a putt for me is where I line up using my push putt motion with the intent of hitting chains. If I'm using more of a spin shot, my goal is not to hit chains, my goal is to land on the ground under the basket, that's not a putt.

The circle doesn't define it well in my book. If I'm inside the circle but stuck behind a big tree or bush, I may not be taking a putt. Instead, it's more of a get-out-of-trouble out shot. Similarly, on an open hole, I could be putting from 50-60 feet. It all depends on the situation.

It depends on what you want to use those statistics for.

If it were me, I'd track putts from <20', 20'-30', and 30'-50' as separate categories. Of course those numbers may change depending on how good you are at putting. It might take a few rounds of counting each putt individually to figure out where the best break points are. If you aren't very good at it you may need to create a 10'-20' category until you get your 10'-20' percentage up. If you're really good then you might change the first category to <30'.

Good point. Stats would be meaningless if you lump the 5' and 50' putts together.

Were you trying to get your disc in the basket as opposed to laying up? I'd call that a putt. That being said, garublador makes a good point about distances.

for me, I putt and expect to make it within 20'. outside of that, I'm just lobbing/ laying up and occasionally will sink one.

For stats, I'd decide on your current confidence distance and track that way. There are a lot of factors (elevation change, obstacles, water) that also decide whether I am putting or approaching from a given distance

I'd say 50' for the sake of not wanting to kill yourself when you look back and see you only make 2% or your putts if you are going from 150' and in.

I keep it similar to ball golf, if I am on the putting surface then I count it as a putt. In the case of DG, then inside 10 meters. Outside of that it is just an approach shot for me.

I want to know how well I am doing inside of the putting area. So I dont want a 60 ft shot with a putter in that set of stats, as I was really approaching using my putter. Classify those different so I can better break down my game and where I need most improvement. Whatever works for you to achieve the stats you need to better critique your own game. Good luck! :thmbup:

Latest posts