• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

SoCal DGCR Meet-Up

How confident are you in attending?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i am really excited for this get together, thanks to all yall putting your energy towards this, i will def bring "stuff" to help make this event special, and if there is anything else i can do just let me know

I vote for Bakersfield or San Luis Obispo courses. Mostly cause I haven't played either and both locations have more than one course. These are further north than the So Cal courses. Casitas is great for a So Cal match-up, but I would rather see new (to me) courses that may be easier for the Central and North guys to attend.

I would also go for Fresno - I don't want to go further north than that unless the course is epic!

I think realistically if we're going by central location that Visalia is the same drive from NorCal vs SoCal (3-3.5 hours by google maps from both LA and SF. That said, I know nothing of the courses there.

If we're going by epic courses - then Santa Cruz or Monterey are the best options for a slightly more NorCal location. Multiple good courses, camping, nice scenery on the ocean, etc. I do understand that we'll lose some SoCal people because of the drive.

If we're going by epic courses on the SoCal side - the same thing will happen, you'll lose some NorCal people due to the drive. I'm probably one of them, a 12-hour round trip isn't feasible for me (a Masters student) during the spring.

So I'm suggesting we narrow it down to 3 locations - one slightly NorCal, one in the middle (driving time being the factor), and one slightly SoCal. Then we pick a weekend. Only after both of those are decided do we vote and go with majority - the reason being if (for example) the majority chooses slightly NorCal location and then 75% of the NorCal people drop out based on the weekend chosen - that's not fair to our fellow discers down south, and vice versa.

I also recommend Bakersfield because it is kind of out of the way for everybody. It would really ensure that it is neither a nor or so cal event, but the entire state. Bakersfield is only 45 minutes south of Visalia, which is apparently our 'central' location. The courses in Visalia look kinda lame. For those of you wondering though, the "actual" middle of the state is in the mountains east of Fresno. Just some weird geography for you all.

I would be in favor of DeLaVeaga or one of the Bay area courses (Golden Gate). I'm also biased to February around presidents week because I have a week off from my job then and I live in San Jose!

up-BestCoastCrazy.jpg

I like this idea and I like most of the choices listed except GGP it is a good course but has a couple issues. Navigating San Francisco is painful, parking is always a problem and unless you play very early it plays slow because of the crowds. De la is really fun and scenic and would be fun for those visiting. It also adds the benefit of a nice place to visit with those with a family. Stafford is a really fun course and is scenic with lots of easy parking.

also if any is in the central valley hit me up for some golf

Looking to see if there is any interest in a west coast DGCR meeting. I know there aren't too many of us on here, but if we plan it in advance far enough we could probably make it work. Post here if you are interested, and also if you have good ideas on when and where it should be.

Here are some courses I think would be good choices (location/baskets/concrete tees):
- The new Chico course - Peregrine Point DGC ;)
- Shady Oaks, Sacramento
- De Laveaga, Santa Cruz
- Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
- Stafford Lake, Novato

I think we need some time to plan this. How does January or February sound? (weather permitting)

Last edited:
Ryan ranch is amazing and i am always down for a round at de la.

Visalia is like 7 hours from Mendo coast and humbolt. bakersfeild is even farther. I'll vote for Ryan ranch or de la too. It's still like five to Santa Cruz for me. Thats my 2 cents. I hope to come wherever you guys decide

I'm wondering if all the San Diegans are just keeping out of this on purpose, or if there are any even here.....

IF there are, it would be completely one sided to have this in the Bay area. Google maps says its about 7 hrs 45 min.

But in My opinion, Ryan Ranch looks to be a good spot! Centrally located too!

This sounds awesome. My home course is Shady, so I play there everyday, Pinto sounds good, never played it. I think either Penn or Condon or both. Condon has great camping and Grass Valley is a cool town. We also could check out Tonys mountain golf, I hear thats good, also has camping. Finnon also has great camping and is a beast of a course, but its kinda out in the boonies. Anyway Im in, would like to meet some fellow DGCR freaks, keep me posted jimbo.

I just saw this so I'll drop my two pennies in. I am pretty much in the middle of the state so I can go north or south. Two different meet-ups isn't a bad idea.
South if it happens during the months of Dec - March.
Then North closer to May-June?
I know that Lake Hogan is pretty uncrowded when it's not summer. It has a campground. Plus, it's huge and I can get some baskets to put out alternate holes.

Latest posts