• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Softball/Baseball Nets

Flyguy46

Par Member
Premium Member
I would love to get everyone's opinion on using a Softball/Baseball Practice Net for disc golf.

I have a son who is going on 8 years old. He is really excited about disc golf and wants to work on getting his throws dialed some more. I have purchased a 6' net for him to throw into. I am hoping that by having this, he might be able to work on some more arm speed and also to work on form. The number one goal of this is really to keep it fun and have him stay excited for the coming season.

And I will also be using the net to work on my form over the course of the winter as well.

We do have two practice baskets so we will also be spending a fair share of time working on putting and playing lots of putting games. Putting Marksmanship should be fun.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on the net thing.

I would love to get everyone's opinion on using a Softball/Baseball Practice Net for disc golf.

I have a son who is going on 8 years old. He is really excited about disc golf and wants to work on getting his throws dialed some more. I have purchased a 6' net for him to throw into. I am hoping that by having this, he might be able to work on some more arm speed and also to work on form. The number one goal of this is really to keep it fun and have him stay excited for the coming season.

And I will also be using the net to work on my form over the course of the winter as well.

We do have two practice baskets so we will also be spending a fair share of time working on putting and playing lots of putting games. Putting Marksmanship should be fun.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts on the net thing.
Imo a net is really good for one thing only and that's warming up with having to go retrieve your disc. It doesn't give you sufficient feedback since you can't see the full flight.

I've had a very large batting cage style net up for the last five years, but we don't really throw into it often, it's more used to keep discs off cars parked on the driveway.

If you want to build arm speed the net is okay but I think a Pro Pull does more. Yes, we have one. Yes, it worked. No, we don't use it now because it led to some grip and arm soreness for both of us.

I don't think throwing into nets or using a Pro Pull are fun.

I second what thecandydan said......the issue with nets is that you can't see the full flight. So you throw a disc into the net and go WOW....that was an awesome throw and just what I wanted. The you go to the course, make the same throw and your disc fades hard left going nowhere close to the spot you expected it to be in.

Use the net for working on a consistent release and not having to chase down discs while practicing. But when you want to work on the actual throw....head out to a field.

Dan, Bill, I'm speculating here but I think OP was more concerned about his 8 year old. Flyguy can watch them and teach what they're doing right/wrong or even set up a camera to watch the kiddos form in slow motion.

Dan, Bill, I'm speculating here but I think OP was more concerned about his 8 year old. Flyguy can watch them and teach what they're doing right/wrong or even set up a camera to watch the kiddos form in slow motion.

True....but again....the 8 year old throws what looks like great throws and is thrilled. Goes to the course and the discs dump to the ground quickly. How much fun will that be?

I'm not saying nets don't have a purpose, but they can also teach bad habits. They need to be combined with throwing in the field.

Yes, for sure, I agree. Nets have a place.

My son & I have thrown together for 1,946 consecutive days so I know a thing or two about keeping disc golf fun . . . imo throwing into a net isn't fun (or particularly helpful). :)

How many times have we all gone out, released a great pull but had it hit a tree 200' out and groaned and said "Aaaargh! All I wanted was to see how it would have finished!" LOL. To me that's like every throw into a net.

But I *love* courses that have nets next to Tee 1 so I can warm up without retrieving discs.

I think a net is a great tool to use to work on form, gain repetitions, and build some strength. It isn't a replacement for field work but is definitely a good addition to it. It also helps if you have limited space and want to get some work in. I set mine up in the garage when it's freezing outside.

I mainly use mine with a camera set up, throw 20-30, can check form instantly and work on it right away. Without having to spend time gathering all my drives, especially annoying if there are some errant ones to track down. Makes for a more dedicated session that I can then transfer over to in a field and see direct results.

While yes you don't get to see the disc fly, same could be said about hitting baseballs off a tee into a net. The point isn't to watch the ball fly, but work on form and repetitions.

I got a net and have it set up in my basement. I think they're great for warming up and getting reps in and that's about it. IMHO I think they are pretty terrible for working on form unless you are filming yourself. If you want to work on form there is no substitute for field work. I used one for way too long this summer and picked up some really bad habits really quick that I didn't realize until I got out and played some rounds.

You have always seen that practice nets are available in training sessions for various sports. Nets are important in goal-based games such as soccer and hockey, which are used to deter goals.

You have always seen that practice nets are available in training sessions for various sports. Nets are important in goal-based games such as soccer and hockey, which are used to deter goals.

Why use practice nets in softball drills when they are not used in the game of softball arises. The reason is that these nets improve hand coordination and vision. It also improves your playing skills, such as batting, fielding, and pitching. I, too, have a lacrosse net with which I practice https://www.amazon.com/Victorem-Lacrosse-Rebounder-Baseball-Additional/dp/B09YTYNBW3. If you have a strong desire, then go out and practice.

I could see where a net would be nice for reps if a person already has their form pretty dialed in and just wants to stay sharp by throwing a little in the backyard when they don't have time to go to a course, field, or open space.

I can also see some benefit to keeping the kid interested by giving him a place to throw whenever he wants without having to pester the parents to load him into a vehicle and take him somewhere.

I do see the drawback to someone who is just learning or trying to develop their form as blasting bad shots over and over into a net without realizing they are bad shots is going to possibly build muscle memory for throwing poorly and is going to make it difficult to relearn good form later.

I was at a tournament earlier this year and a guy had a net set up and was throwing into it. He mentioned something about it was nice doing this rather than running around the course at 8am getting his shoes soaked in dew and potentially losing a disc. He said he can set it up or take it down in less than 10 minutes.

Latest posts